Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Spike TV officially announces TNA Wrestling!

Old 07-21-05, 01:01 PM

Spike TV officially announces TNA Wrestling!

The press release:

TNA iMPACT! TO TELECAST ON SPIKE TV

New York, NY (July 21, 2005) - TNA Entertainment, LLC has signed a deal with Spike TV to telecast TNA (Total Nonstop Action) Wrestling's weekly action athletic entertainment series "iMPACT!" The weekly one-hour show will join Spike TV's popular "Slammin' Saturday Night" programming block starting this Fall, taping at Soundstage 21 at Universal Studios in Orlando, FL.

"We are thrilled to be coming to Spike TV," said Dixie Carter, President, TNA Entertainment, LLC. "We look forward to bringing our exciting style of Total Non-stop Action and entertainment to their male viewers."

The new wrestling alternative, Total Nonstop Action Wrestling's iMPACT! delivers a distinct brand of high-risk, live-action athletic entertainment. TNA's roster includes some of the most exciting and recognizable stars in wrestling today such as, Jeff Jarrett, Raven, Jeff Hardy, AJ Styles, Abyss, Sean Waltman, Christopher Daniels, Monty Brown and others. TNA features the high-flying "X Division," the "Six-Sided Ring," and concept matches such as "Ultimate X," "King of the Mountain," and "Six Sides of Steel."

TNA Entertainment, LLC is a privately held company headquartered in Nashville, TN. TNA programming is currently available in 118 countries. TNA is also available on monthly pay-per-view on iN DEMAND, DIRECTV, Dish Network and TVN as well as Viewer's Choice, Bell ExpressVu and Shaw PPV in Canada. The names of all Total Nonstop Action Wrestling televised programming, talent names, images, likenesses, slogans and all TNA Wrestling logos and trademarks are exclusive property of TNA Entertainment, LLC. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. For more information, visit www.tnawrestling.com.

Spike TV, the first network for men, is available in 88 million homes and is a division of MTV Networks. MTV Networks, a division of Viacom International Inc. (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B).

This is soooo cool. Now we can expect some REAL WRESTLING on another channel while dumbass Vinnie Mac was saying that they weren't even competition the whole time, now that WWE is back with their tails between their legs (and lots of money lost) on USA Network... I gotta say "Who's laughing now?"

Enhance the Trance,
Curse
Old 07-21-05, 01:07 PM

i thought TNA was going to stand for something else...i need to step away from the computer
Old 07-21-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well it's a step up.. but on Saturday night.. not a very big one.
Old 07-21-05, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Well it's a step up.. but on Saturday night.. not a very big one.
Well you gotta remember that its a start, I'm sure that Spike TV will move it on Monday Nights in a couple months....if not weeks.

Enhance the Trance,
Curse
Old 07-21-05, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by elny3680
i thought TNA was going to stand for something else...i need to step away from the computer

No shit. This is the most blatent case of false adveristing since "The Never Ending Story."

I would actually watch T&A wrestling.
Old 07-21-05, 02:24 PM
Suspended

Vince isn't scared. TNA is years away from being a direct threat, unfortunately.
Old 07-21-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, with a regular TV slot on a channel where people have already been going for wrestling anyway, I'd say they're going to be more of a threat. At least, I hope so, if only to get WWE to improve the product. Competition is a good thing.
Old 07-21-05, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well, with a regular TV slot on a channel where people have already been going for wrestling anyway, I'd say they're going to be more of a threat. At least, I hope so, if only to get WWE to improve the product. Competition is a good thing.
I agree. Plus I'm sure people are tired of the crap WWE has been giving wrestling fans... *shudders at the Katie Vick angle*

Enhance the Trance,
Curse
Old 07-21-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought you were talking about Tits and Ass.
Old 07-21-05, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
No shit. This is the most blatent case of false adveristing since "The Never Ending Story."

I would actually watch T&A wrestling.
Wow Red Dog, you sound exactly like WWE's Fan Demographic.

Enhance the Trance,
Curse
Old 07-21-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Curse_7781
Wow Red Dog, you sound exactly like WWE's Fan Demographic.

Enhance the Trance,
Curse
Curse_7781 have you considered ending your post with

PLUR,
Curse

instead?
Old 07-21-05, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I'll watch to see some different product. WWE has been getting stale for the better part of 2 years and this will be refreshing.

Saturday may not be all that bad as it may spark repeat showings on the following Sunday afternoon or Friday night if it catches on.
Old 07-21-05, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Curse_7781 have you considered ending your post with

PLUR,
Curse

instead?
Nope, but you're more than welcome to use it.

Enhance the Trance,
Curse
Old 07-22-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll watch, but a Saturday night slot doesn't sound very promising, especially for a fed that doesn't have a well known roster, except for a few former WWE names. I hope they find a fan base and eventually become real competition.
Old 07-23-05, 02:06 AM

Good thing they got the saturday night time slot on TNN err...Spike, it did wonders for ECW. Plus the killer ratings Velocity gets, TNA is in good shape.

On the other hand I will miss Velocity, the only WWE show I make sure to watch every week.
Old 07-24-05, 03:34 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

What they should do is air the episodes originally on Saturday as planned, but then air an encore of each week's episode on Monday against Raw.
Old 07-26-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a start, not a big one, but it's something.

Here's to hoping they can get a better timeslot in the future.
Old 07-26-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see how the timeslot is any worse than its Friday afternoon slot was, considering that audiences should be working during that time.
Old 07-26-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't wait to check TNA out. I have never seen one of their shows but the commercials always look good. Anyhting would probably be good in comparison to WWE right now.
Old 07-26-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No Surrender was very entertaining. Samoa Joe is a monster and it will be nice to see him get some tv time.
Old 07-26-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ght=inks+spike
Old 07-26-05, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

norml is a little bitter.
Old 07-27-05, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
I don't see how the timeslot is any worse than its Friday afternoon slot was, considering that audiences should be working during that time.
The whole time it was on in that slot, I think I saw it maybe five times. I kept forgetting to record it.