Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Pardon the Interruption

Old 07-15-05, 12:58 PM
Cool New Member

Pardon the Interruption

What's happened to Kornheiser and Wilbon lately? Has there been another "forced vacation" for one or both of them? And who else can't wait for Jason Whitlock to go back to his regular job?
Old 07-15-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

They both take long vacations during summer.

I used to like Jason Whitlock, but damn, he is really annoying.

The funny thing is that Kornheiser can't stand Marrioti, so I wonder how he feels about him in his seat.
Old 07-15-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's just summer. On the plus side, I get 20 extra minutes a day now, since it takes me 2-3 minutes to see each show instead of the normal 22. I keep waiting for them to say something insightful over something not NBA related, well, actually, I'm not sure what Mariotti's strength is.

I love when the comparison of Lance Armstrong to a Nascar driver was made.
Old 07-15-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What is up with all the makeup on Mariotti? I don't remember him looking like that before...

You really get to see how good Tony and Wilbon really are... when they're not there. You really need to be able to talk quickly and coherently to host this show, and while the sub hosts may be decent, they're nowhere near the real hosts in that category.

So when did one of them have to take a forced "vacation"?
Old 07-15-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fujishig
So when did one of them have to take a forced "vacation"?

Tony did several years ago. He got in some hot water with ESPN because he apparently disparaged someone in the ESPN organization during a commercial break on his radio show. The comments went over the internet feed (which didn't go to commercial breaks).
Old 07-15-05, 01:44 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Red Dog
They both take long vacations during summer.

I used to like Jason Whitlock, but damn, he is really annoying.

The funny thing is that Kornheiser can't stand Marrioti, so I wonder how he feels about him in his seat.
I was pretty annoyed at Whitlock's standing up for T.O. against the Eagles. But the last straw for me was yesterday's show, when he said Brett Favre should shut up about his teammates holding out. Seriously, I won't be watching this show again until he's gone. Which I hope is real soon.
Old 07-15-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been considering starting a thread titled "Jason Whitlock is a Fucking Idiot" all week. The guy's either half-retarded or foolishly acting like an idiot just to cause controversy (since stupid people who say stupid shit thrive on ESPN - , Skip Bayless). I think his best moment so far is vehemently asserting that Lance Armstrong isn't an athlete. Second to that is getting caught wearing white tennis shoes with a dark suit.

Where's Bob Ryan? Michelle Tafoya? David Aldridge (I know )? Hell, even the Hatable Dan LeBatard? Michael Smith did a fine job, but a week of King of the Assclowns Whitlock is too much. Mariotti just a prick, so I can tolerate him more or less. Of course, his repeated demands for DAP after picking Tiger Woods to win The Open were pathetic. You picked Tiger Woods? Really? To win a Major? Move over Nostradamus.

Quite simply, this show's a steaming pile of shit without Tony or Wilbon.

das
Old 07-15-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

If it ain't baseball, football, or basketball, it isn't a sport nor athletic contest acc'd to Whitlock.

LeBatard and Ryan should be permanent guest hosts. I would say Norman Chad but we all know where he has been this week (heck, whole last month).
Old 07-15-05, 04:14 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I turned it on the other day, saw those 2 were hosting, and turned it off. All they need is Bayless for 5 Good Minutes and I'd probably give up being a sports fan after that half-hour.
Old 07-15-05, 08:17 PM

Anyone here know why Tony Reali wasn't on today's PTI, by any chance?
Old 07-15-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was going to start this same thread because I can't stand watching this show without Kornheiser and Wilbon. Mr. "I'm engaged" wasn't bad, but he needs to put a little more energy into his delivery.
Old 07-15-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You think Mariotti could get just a little more make-up before the show?

das
Old 07-16-05, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The show is unwatchable without Kornheiser and Willy Buns.
Old 07-16-05, 09:00 AM
Banned

Speaking of PTI, I really miss their Guinness sponsorship.

Brilliant!
Old 07-16-05, 04:13 PM

My opinions...

Worst PTI guest-host ever:
Skip Bayless (if he's not purposely making stupid, inane comments just to get his name out there, then he has no business as a sports reporter)

Close to worst:
Steven A Smith (besides his annoying yelling schtick, he's close to Bayless in the stupid/inane quality)
Jason Whitlock (as evidenced this week and the above posts)

Bad guest-hosts:
Dan Le Batard (they call him "hateable" for a reason)
Norman Chad (too many jokes, not enough analysis)
Jay Mariotti

Good guest-hosts:
Dan Aldridge (why ESPN picked Steven A Smith over this guy, I'll never forgive or understand)
Michele Tafoya
Bob Ryan (usually)
Michael Smith
Josh Elliott (the "good-looking" one)

Wishlist:
Bill Simmons aka The Sports Guy (probably writes better than he speaks, but he's pretty good on the ESPN retrospectives)
Tony Reali aka Stat Boy (he's pretty good on Around the Horn... maybe he guest-hosted before?)
Max Kellerman (I miss him on ATH, and the first incarnation of his show on FSN was great, until they got rid of the "competition" aspect)
Charles Barkley (I will watch anything Chuck ever does)
Craig Kilborn (would love to hear him talk sports again)

On another note... I wish they got rid of the "Odds" game. It's better when they actually have to make a pick on something (Over/Under, Good Cop/Bad Cop, Food Chain, Toss Up) rather than give the chances of something happening. 100% or 0%, not something in the middle.

And... PLEASE keep Jim Rome away from PTI. It's bad enough he's on a show at all (along with Skip Bayless and Woody Paige).
Old 07-16-05, 09:45 PM

Hoonster, didn't Max Kellerman already guest host in the early days of PTI? Also, what's the problem with Woody Paige?
Old 07-16-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hoonster,

I agree with almost all of that, except I'm one of the few that doesn't have a big problem with Stephen A. He's not a great host by any means, but I don't think he's that bad, especially if he's with either Tony or Wilbon. When one of them anchors the show, it makes average hosts pretty tolerable. It's when you get two fuck-ups like Mariotti and Whitlock together that the show becomes a pile of shit rivalled only by the new Cold Pizza.

SteveOVig

Hoonster, didn't Max Kellerman already guest host in the early days of PTI? Also, what's the problem with Woody Paige?
Paige has a somewhat "loveable loser" quality to him that is kind of funny in short bursts on Around the Horn, but he's a terrible sports analyst, and when you team him up with Bayless, it's probably the worst sports coverage in the history of mankind. He has no business on a show like PTI.

das
Old 07-16-05, 10:34 PM

I agree... Woody Paige's analysis is terrible. But more than that, I think he does what I accuse Skip Bayless of doing: saying stuff just to get attention. Also, and I know this probably isn't his fault, but I don't like the way he speaks. It drags, he stutters a little too much to listen to him for a whole show, and he brings up way too many obscure (aka **old**) references for me to find entertaining.

I don't think he's anywhere close to as bad as Jim Rome or Skip Bayless, but I just grouped him in b/c apparently he has a show w/ bayless... *and* they're the "sports experts" for Cold Pizza.

I caught CP one morning on one of my day's off not too long ago, and I couldn't believe those two guys are their "sports experts". I know CP is supposed to be a morning talk show a la Today, Good Morning America, The Early Show, so *maybe* they pick people who are more palatable to the morning crowd? If so, is Woody+Skip *it*? And, if not... do they really expect to get sports fans to watch that show w/ those two idiots? I'd rather watch the not-so-new morning SportsCenter and highlights I already watched the night before...
Old 07-16-05, 10:35 PM

Also, I don't remember Max hosting PTI. Maybe he did, I just never remembered seeing him on there. If so, wish I had caught it...
Old 07-16-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
I've been considering starting a thread titled "Jason Whitlock is a Fucking Idiot" all week. The guy's either half-retarded or foolishly acting like an idiot just to cause controversy (since stupid people who say stupid shit thrive on ESPN - , Skip Bayless). I think his best moment so far is vehemently asserting that Lance Armstrong isn't an athlete. Second to that is getting caught wearing white tennis shoes with a dark suit.
i agree with all of it. for about 5 seconds at the beginning of his run, i liked whitlock but then it all changed and he went bonkers.

could you imagine how bad things would be in they teamed up whitlock and bayless?
Old 07-16-05, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by kevin75
could you imagine how bad things would be in they teamed up whitlock and bayless?
Can't be much worse than the dreck that first introduced me to the debacle known as Skip Bayless when they had him teamed up w/ Steven A Smith...
Old 07-17-05, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cold Pizza ::Shudders::
Old 07-17-05, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
What is up with all the makeup on Mariotti? I don't remember him looking like that before...
Mariotti shaves his widow's peak, and tries to hide it, by pushing his hair over it. That bugs me, I don't know why, but it does.
Old 07-18-05, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't stand Mariotti and Whitlock but I watch it because of a lack of any other shows on at that timeslot.
Old 07-18-05, 11:06 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by edytwinky
I can't stand Mariotti and Whitlock but I watch it because of a lack of any other shows on at that timeslot.
I was able to put up with it till Whitlock went after Brett Favre. How ridiculous was that? What with that and his defending Owens, Whitlock might as well wear a sign reading "Drew Rosenhaus' Bitch".

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.