Spoiler:

Best Upset -- Bucknell beats Kansas in NCAA Tournament
Old 07-14-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Poor Phelps, still can't win an athlete of the year award
Old 07-18-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk God

So I watched this (at 4x speed of course ) and I saw no mention of Bucknell's award. What's up with that?
Old 07-18-05, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Red Dog

So I watched this (at 4x speed of course ) and I saw no mention of Bucknell's award. What's up with that?
Interestingly, I watched it for about 20 seconds while hopping from a TiVo recorded program to Live TV (primary channel was still on ESPN from the game), and I saw the Bucknell piece.

das
Old 07-18-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Interestingly, I watched it for about 20 seconds while hopping from a TiVo recorded program to Live TV (primary channel was still on ESPN from the game), and I saw the Bucknell piece.

das

Hmmm. Was it just a mention or was it an actual award presentation or piece?
Old 07-18-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't now about you guys but the Arthur Ashe award broke me down. Both stories were amazing but when Jim MacLaren wiped his tear on stage I lost it. Just the fact he beat the odds the first time around to get run over a 2nd time 8 years later and STILL have the desire to contribute much less live.

The prestigious Arthur Ashe Courage Award will be presented to Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah and Jim MacLaren, two disabled athletes who embody the toughness of spirit and never-give-up attitude that are the hallmarks of the award and its namesake, at The 2005 ESPY Awards. Oprah Winfrey will present the award to both gentlemen when ESPN televises the 13th annual industry-wide sports celebration hosted by Matthew Perry on Sunday, July 17 at 9 p.m. ET from Hollywood's Kodak Theatre.

Yeboah, subject of the soon-to-be-released documentary film Emmanuel's Gift, is originally from Ghana, a country where disability has historically been stigmatized to appalling levels. Born with a severely deformed right leg and faced with near-constant struggle, Yeboah has dedicated his life to changing perceptions of the disabled in his homeland. He earned worldwide acclaim when he embarked on a quest to bicycle across Ghana -- a distance of over 370 miles, with one leg -- in a journey that is documented in the film.

MacLaren has survived two would-be fatal accidents and risen to all the challenges that life has put in his path. A Yale graduate and a former All-American lacrosse and football player, MacLaren was hit by a New York City bus at age 22 and lost a leg. After the accident he battled back to become a top marathoner and Ironman triathlete, racing against and beating able-bodied competition, and earning the rank of the fastest amputee athlete in the world. Eight years after the first accident he was struck again, this time by a van during a triathlon, and became an incomplete quadriplegic. Battling back once more, MacLaren has become a motivational speaker. His amazing story and positive, courageous attitude now inspires others to greatness.

The Arthur Ashe Courage Award is presented annually to individuals whose contributions transcend sports. Last year the award was presented to George Weah, the Liberian-born soccer legend who led his national team to greatness, at great personal and financial risk, in the midst of that nation's political upheaval. In 2003 the award went to Pat and Kevin Tillman, brothers who gave up professional sports careers to serve their country by enlisting in the U.S. Army. (Pat Tillman was killed in combat April 22, 2004 in Afghanistan). In 2002, the Ashe Award was given to Todd Beamer, Mark Bingham, Tom Burnett and Jeremy Glick, four passengers who lost their lives September 11th on United Flight 93. Previous recipients include: Jim Valvano (1993), Steve Palermo (1994), Howard Cosell (1995), Loretta Claiborne (1996), Muhammad Ali (1997), Dean Smith (1998), Billie Jean King (1999), Dave Sanders (2000) and Olympian Cathy Freeman (2001).
Old 07-18-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who won the "Just Shut Up" quote of the year? I was hoping it would be McGuire...but couldn't find anything on the "awards" list (although this would be a dishonor rather than an honor).
Old 07-18-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Red Dog

Hmmm. Was it just a mention or was it an actual award presentation or piece?
It was mixed in with some other awards as a video presentation, kind of like the technical achievement Oscars.

das
Old 07-18-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
It was mixed in with some other awards as a video presentation, kind of like the technical achievement Oscars.

das

Yeah it was only a few second mention, with maybe two or three clips from the game. I'm pretty sure that Coach Flannery, Kevin Bettencourt and Charles Lee were all present at the event, and received the award. I figured they would show it given that Jimmy V used to coach at Bucknell. They really didn't even mention Jimmy V in the hour and a half that I watched it. Wasn't that why this whole thing started?
Old 07-20-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone have a screen shot of Linda Cohn? The local sports radio station were having a discussion about her, and wanted to see pics.