Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Now that hockey's back, which teams are going to crash and burn?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 07-13-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Team Total Payroll
Detroit Red Wings ---- $ 77,856,109
New York Rangers ---- $ 76,488,716
Dallas Stars ---------- $ 68,578,885
Philadelphia Flyers -----$ 68,175,247
Colorado Avalanche ----$ 63,382,458
Toronto Maple Leafs --- $ 62,458,140
St. Louis Blues -------- $ 61,675,000
Los Angeles Kings ----- $ 53,833,800
Anaheim Mighty Ducks - $ 53,296,750
Washington Capitals ---$ 50,895,750
New Jersey Devils -----$ 48,931,658
Boston Bruins ---------$ 46,569,000
Vancouver Canucks --- $ 42,074,500
New York Islanders ---- $ 40,865,500
Ottawa Senators ------$ 39,590,000
Phoenix Coyotes ------$ 39,249,750
Montreal Canadiens --- $ 38,857,000
Calgary Flames -------$ 36,402,575
Carolina Hurricanes ---- $ 35,908,738
San Jose Sharks ------ $ 34,455,000
Tampa Bay Lightning --$ 34,065,379
Columbus Blue Jackets - $ 34,000,000
Edmonton Oilers -------$ 33,375,000
Buffalo Sabres --------- $ 32,954,250
Chicago Blackhawks --- $ 30,867,502
Atlanta Thrashers ----- $ 28,547,500
Minnesota Wild --------$ 27,200,500
Florida Panthers ------- $ 26,127,500
Pittsburgh Penguins ---- $ 23,400,000
Nashville Predators ----- $ 21,932,500

So the league could have a salary cap of around 40 mil, which of these teams is going to crash and burn and which is going to improve?

I think the Flyers are the worst off, Bobby Clarke is like George Steinbrenner they can't pick good talent so they have to pay for them. Finally Philly is going to see how bad Bobby actually is after their team goes to shit because they can't pay outrageous salaries.

Thoughts?
Old 07-13-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When are those payrolls from? Cause there's an ungodly number of free agents. Some teams, like Boston, barely have anyone under contract. Plus, there is a one-time way to dump high price contracts to clear salary space
Old 07-13-05, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The payrolls are from the 2003-2004 season. There are a lot of teams that don't have very many players under contract, it should be interesting to see who stays and who goes.
Old 07-13-05, 10:27 PM

That list is not accurate. Philadelphia for instance has 13 players signed at 33 mil. They are keeping some of their vets, but are going to have to let go of a couple. Amonte, LeClair, and maybe even Roenick are cap casualties. In this new NHL, even Clarke is going to have to use some youth. And they may not be too bad off as they have some real gems. I wouldn't write them off.

It looks like the Rangers and Leafs have alot of work to do. Leafs have 8 players under contract at almost 30 mil and the Rangers have 6 at almost 22 mil. This free agent market is going to be wild.
Old 07-14-05, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, Philly might be alright. They have a couple of really good young guys that will make the team this year (didn't the Phantoms win the AHL title?).

I think the Leafs will be in some trouble and I am very curious anout my beloved Red Wings. Say bye bye to Cujo and hello to either Osgood or Khabibulin (that would be nice). No more Chelli, Hatcher is likely a cap casualty (although he has a ton of money left on his contract). Whitney will be gone. Right now we are at 17 players and around 34 million.
Old 07-14-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the status of each team (courtesy ESPN.com). These numbers include the 24% salary rollback in the new CBA:

Anaheim: 9 players under contract for $20.5 million
Atlanta: 12 players under contract for $14.4 million
Boston: 4 players under contract for $2.9 million
Buffalo: 9 players under contract for $9.1 million
Calgary: 11 players under contract for $12.1 million
Carolina: 7 players under contract for $11.9 million
Chicago: 8 players under contract for $10.2 million
Colorado: 11 players under contract for $22.8 million
Columbus: 14 players under contract for $19.1 million
Dallas: 8 players under contract for $22.6 million
Detroit: 16 players under contract for $38.2 million
Edmonton: 12 players under contract for $13 million
Florida: 7 players under contract for $6.4 million
Los Angeles: 12 players under contract for $15.6 million
Minnesota: 10 players under contract for $13.8 million
Montreal: 8 players under contract for $14.5 million
Nashville: 9 players under contract for $18.4 million
New Jersey: 10 players under contract for $15.4 million
NY Islanders: 4 players under contract for $15.6 million
NY Rangers: 6 players under contract for $21.7 million
Ottawa: 10 players under contract for $23.6 million
Philadelphia: 13 players under contract for $33.8 million
Phoenix: 21 players under contract for $28.4 million
Pittsburgh: 7 players under contract for $5.5 million
San Jose: 10 players under contract for $13.5 million
St. Louis: 13 players under contract for $23.9 million
Tampa Bay: 9 players under contract for $15.7 million
Toronto: 8 players under contract for $27 million
Vancouver: 6 players under contract for $11.8 million
Washington: 4 players under contract for $7 million

Bolded the teams who are going to be in a bit of cap trouble (can't buy out all those contracts). This offseason is going to resemble a fantasy league auction/draft.
Old 07-14-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NY Rangers: 6 players under contract for $21.7 million
I think the Rangers will be the worst team this year. Not a big change for them, though.

Pittsburgh: 7 players under contract for $5.5 million

I think Pittsburgh has a chance at putting together a great team with all the free agents combined with their stellar young players. They might be the surprise team this year.
Old 07-14-05, 01:15 PM

I expect Leonsis to be very active in the free agent market, too - he's only got four players for $7 mil and you know he's going to push his team's number right up to the edge of the cap.

Colorado's in a little better shape than I thought - already $22 mil committed, but at least it is to 11 players, a $2mil/player average. Contrast with the Rangers, who have only 6 players for a very similar salary.

RS
Old 07-14-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RMSpuhler
I expect Leonsis to be very active in the free agent market, too - he's only got four players for $7 mil and you know he's going to push his team's number right up to the edge of the cap.

Colorado's in a little better shape than I thought - already $22 mil committed, but at least it is to 11 players, a $2mil/player average. Contrast with the Rangers, who have only 6 players for a very similar salary.

RS
Not to mention there's the Crosby draft lottery. August is going to be just nuts for player movement. Unfortunately for the Caps, if the draft is going the way I originally heard, they have little shot at Crosby. It would be so sad if the Rangers got Crosby for all their incompetence.
Old 07-14-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RMSpuhler
Contrast with the Rangers, who have only 6 players for a very similar salary.

RS
The worst part is that the majority of the $21.7 million is Holik & Jagr. I don't see Holik going anywhere either, since I can't think of any other teams that would pay $9 million a year for a checking line center.

Last edited by Obey The D; 07-14-05 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-14-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
Phoenix: 21 players under contract for $28.4 million
Gretzky was on a local talk radio show out here back when there were rumors they were going to save a very shortened season. He didn't think it was going to happen because of all the scrambling teams would have to do to sign players to get their roster up to full strength, but mentioned that the Coyotes were well ahead of the game in that respect. From these stats, they do appear to have the most players signed and still with a decent payroll.

It will be interesting to see if their added stability gives them any edge this upcoming season.
Old 07-14-05, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hmm, I may actually keep up with the NHL now since everyone is basically starting over...it should be an interesting season.
Old 07-14-05, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Obey The D
The worst part is that the majority of the $21.7 million is Holik & Jagr. I don't see Holik going anywhere either, since I can't think of any other teams that would pay $9 million a year for a checking line center.
The Rangers can just buy out either or both, and the players will be left to make a new deal where they can, for whatever someone is willing to pay them, which won't be nearly as much.
Old 07-14-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am glad that Dave Lewis is finally gone from my Red Wings. He just couldn't get them to turn it on in the playoffs.
Old 07-14-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Teams in trouble: Rangers, Predators

At least Philly and Detroit have some pretty good players locked up

Teams looking good: Penguins, Lightning

Some decent players locked up with room to work.
Old 07-14-05, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As a Pens fan, I am definately looking forward to this season; for their potential, and finally having some kind of a fair playing field across the league (and what that means to the richy-rich teams like NYR, DET, & PHI).

It will be interesting to see where all the free agents end up.
Old 07-15-05, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
As a Pens fan, I am definately looking forward to this season; for their potential, and finally having some kind of a fair playing field across the league (and what that means to the richy-rich teams like NYR, DET, & PHI).

Has anyone heard what the low cap number will be? Or did the players lose that request, too?

RS
Old 07-15-05, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk

I don't think the Penguins are going to be THAT much better off in the new system. It's not like players are going to choose a city like Pittsburgh over Detroit or Toronto. Plus a 40 million dollar cap is still much higher than I am anticipating the Penguins will be able to spend, so even at that number they will still be overmatched.
Old 07-15-05, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe "name" players will start to play for Chicago now being such a big market. Don't know much about hockey, but I am pretty sure the owners here are cheap, but it looks like their payroll might be close to were the cap will be. If you are a hockey player, would you rather play in Chicago or places like Nashville, all things being equal?
Old 07-15-05, 04:20 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Dave
Maybe "name" players will start to play for Chicago now being such a big market. Don't know much about hockey, but I am pretty sure the owners here are cheap, but it looks like their payroll might be close to were the cap will be. If you are a hockey player, would you rather play in Chicago or places like Nashville, all things being equal?
The Blackhawks have the worst ownership in professional sports, nothing will change.
Old 07-15-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

W/ the rule changes, particularly the elimination of the red-line - I think I'd actually like the Blues to keep Pronger, rather than Tkachuk.
Old 07-15-05, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mautos
I don't think the Penguins are going to be THAT much better off in the new system. It's not like players are going to choose a city like Pittsburgh over Detroit or Toronto. Plus a 40 million dollar cap is still much higher than I am anticipating the Penguins will be able to spend, so even at that number they will still be overmatched.
I don't think that's true. Now that there is a cap on what players can earn, they are going to look to stretch their dollar through low cost of living/taxes/etc.. I think cities like Pittsburgh and Edmonton are going to start looking more attractive than Detroit or Toronto due to these factors. The Pens were in survival mode the last few years. They knew the new CBA would benefit a team like them, and they are well positioned to take advantage of the new system. I bet they will not spend the cap max, but they will be spending more than in years past. Also having a new lead ownership group coming in will help as well. Lemieux is a great guy, but he was interested in saving the Pens from bankruptcy/moving rather than really wanting to own the team and pour tons of money into it. The new arena funded by slot money is the last piece of the puzzle the Pens need at this point.
Old 07-15-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
I don't think that's true. Now that there is a cap on what players can earn, they are going to look to stretch their dollar through low cost of living/taxes/etc.. I think cities like Pittsburgh and Edmonton are going to start looking more attractive than Detroit or Toronto due to these factors. The Pens were in survival mode the last few years. They knew the new CBA would benefit a team like them, and they are well positioned to take advantage of the new system. I bet they will not spend the cap max, but they will be spending more than in years past. Also having a new lead ownership group coming in will help as well. Lemieux is a great guy, but he was interested in saving the Pens from bankruptcy/moving rather than really wanting to own the team and pour tons of money into it. The new arena funded by slot money is the last piece of the puzzle the Pens need at this point.
Old 07-15-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

anyone got a link or list of the new rule changes?
Old 07-15-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by atari2600
anyone got a link or list of the new rule changes?
I don't believe the league has completely finished the process that would allow them to announce the changes. They are still rumors.

Hopefully, though, most of all that has been talked about will be put into effect.

About teams like the Pens, you have a low cap number around 21 million. You fans in the small markets need to keep pressure on ownership to spend the money they have and not make excuses for keeping on the low number no matter what.

Chicago is one team, with one owner, who almost certainly will try to spend as little as possible, no matter how much profit he's making under the new deal.

With nearly 18 million between the high and low number in the cap range, it won't matter what the cost of living is in EDM and PGH if they aren't willing to put their money into getting quality players.

I'm not saying Pittsburgh won't spend, I just think that I'm be slightly nervous if I was a Pens fan that they will. The fans have to make their voices heard this time around. The owners feel really good about themselves right now because they broke the players completely, but they'll be on thin ice themselves if they don't lower ticket prices AND spend the money that they have and, rather, make excuses to stay as low as possible to the low cap number.

Teams that do that might be competitive once in a while, but not for long and fans shouldn't tolerate it if they keep selling off their best players to teams will to spend closer to the high cap number.

I'd love for my Red Wings to win every year and I still think they have advantages of tradition and an owner willing to spend the max every year, but I'm really sick of seeing great hockey cities like Chicago put teams on the ice season after season that just slightly better than a minor league team.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.