Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Muhammad Hassan not allowed to appear on Smackdown

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Muhammad Hassan not allowed to appear on Smackdown

Old 07-13-05, 02:39 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 5,628
Muhammad Hassan not allowed to appear on Smackdown

Because of the media coverage of the Muhammad Hassan incident on last week's Smackdown UPN has told the WWE that they do not want him appearing on Smackdown. I don't know if they said they do not wish for Muhammad to appear this week, for the next few weeks, or ever again. An interview was taped for this week's Smackdown but because of UPN's request it will not be shown. Here is the transcript of the interview/speech that will not appear as copied from lordsofpain.net:


I stand here tonight the only patriot left in America. I stand here tonight perhaps even a martyr against tyranny and injustice. Because the fact is I am an AMERICAN professional wrestler, but because of my heritage, because of my background, because of who my ancestors were, I'm labeled - we're labeled terrorists. Terrorists; I'm a terrorist! Well it must be true - it's gotta be true - because it's right here in black and white, in a reputable source, like the New York Post.

What, you don't believe me? Here it is: "Terrorist Wrestles After Bombing." I'm a terrorist - we're terrorists. We wrestled after a bombing. Well, Mr. Don Kaplan, (to Daivari) have you ever met Don Kaplan? Have you ever spoken to Don Kaplan? Have you ever called Don Kaplan on the phone? Well, I never have either. So, if Don Kaplan of the New York Post has never met us, how does Don Kaplan know we're terrorists? Don Kaplan also wrote that "Arabs in ski-masks carried Daivari out as a sacrifice last week." Arabs in SKI-MASKS...in SKI-MASKS...in a ski-mask. How does he know that they were Arabs?

The point is, because of articles like this, because of the fear that the media has put in all of you people, I have been denied my God-given right to pursue the profession of my choosing...to pursue the American Dream. I have been denied my basic rights as an American citizen. You know, as I look around this crowd and I look at all these faces looking at me in disgust, I think a lot of you have forgotten what this country was founded on. I think you have forgotten that your ancestors fought for their freedom. They gave their lives for their freedom - whether they be black, Irish-American, Italian-American, Jewish-American, Asian-American, they gave their lives for their freedom.

What's next? What's next? Because anytime anything goes wrong in this country, it's the Arabs. When a plane crashes, it's the Arabs. When a bomb goes off, it's the Arabs. The blackout two summers ago - it was the Arabs. Hurricane Dennis must be the Arabs.

You people say what you want. Because I have a right to be in here. I have a right to say what I want. And what I'm going to say, my name is Muhammad Hassan. I am an Arab-American and I am very proud of my heritage. But, as an American, my first amendment rights have been trampled. And, I stand here before all of you ashamed of my country.

(Hassan rips the NYPost article as Daivari translates the speech)
Nesbit is offline  
Old 07-13-05, 02:45 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Harbor City, CA USA
Posts: 986
Everyone and their mother knows that Smackdown tapes early in the week - this newspaper clearly did not check into that it was done before the bombings

It's sad that it happened, but it's just bad timing that this came out (smackdown skit and the London bombings) at the same time.
juanmgonzalez is offline  
Old 07-13-05, 02:46 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,762
.... hassan is the future of the company.... he can sure cut a promo
raven56706 is offline  
Old 07-13-05, 02:48 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,068
I don't follow wrestling anymore, what happened on Smackdown?

birrman54
Birrman54 is offline  
Old 07-13-05, 02:49 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,662
Quick, trade him back to Raw!
fujishig is offline  
Old 07-13-05, 02:59 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 891
It doesn't matter who you are!
mlemmond is offline  
Old 07-13-05, 03:24 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,743
I heard the interview will be shown on this weekends Velocity with it being promoted that it can't be seen on Smackdown. (The interview actually took place during the Velocity part of last nights taping.)

Speaking of Velocity, there will be a must-see match between Chris Benoit and William Regal. (WWE should have had this as a feud years ago-before each one had problems-Benoit with his neck and Regal with his health. They had a classic match at one of the Brian Pillman Memorial shows which teared the house down.)

Last edited by LaxBandit; 07-13-05 at 03:29 PM.
LaxBandit is offline  
Old 07-13-05, 03:34 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,662
Originally Posted by LaxBandit
I heard the interview will be shown on this weekends Velocity with it being promoted that it can't be seen on Smackdown. (The interview actually took place during the Velocity part of last nights taping.)

Speaking of Velocity, there will be a must-see match between Chris Benoit and William Regal. (WWE should have had this as a feud years ago-before each one had problems-Benoit with his neck and Regal with his health. They had a classic match at one of the Brian Pillman Memorial shows which teared the house down.)
Wasn't that also one of the reasons Regal got hired by the WWE... because of his outstanding performance with Benoit at that show?
fujishig is offline  
Old 07-13-05, 03:59 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
tonymontana313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,746
Hassan definitely knows how to work the mic. It's a damn shame he can't work the angle with taker on smackdown.
tonymontana313 is offline  
Old 07-13-05, 04:32 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,170
Originally Posted by Mohammed Hassan
Arabs in SKI-MASKS...in SKI-MASKS...in a ski-mask. How does he know that they were Arabs?
Val Venis was one of the ski-masked guys.

Originally Posted by Mohammed Hassan
Hurricane Dennis must be the Arabs.
GuessWho is offline  
Old 07-13-05, 04:33 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 24,170
Originally Posted by LaxBandit
They had a classic match at one of the Brian Pillman Memorial shows which teared the house down.)
I disagree -- I heard it tore the house down.
GuessWho is offline  
Old 07-13-05, 06:11 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 5,628
I heard the house went banana!

Props to anyone who gets that.
Nesbit is offline  
Old 07-13-05, 07:49 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 2,743
Originally Posted by fujishig
Wasn't that also one of the reasons Regal got hired by the WWE... because of his outstanding performance with Benoit at that show?
Yes, that match was one of the reasons why Regal was hired.

Guesswho: Opps! yea, I meant to say tore the house down. Well it could have been teared the house down as they wrestled so well that everyone was crying because they knew that Brian Pillman would have loved to been there to see it.

Update: According to Dave Meltzer, the interview that Hassan taped last night (and was transcripted here) would be for WWE.com only.
LaxBandit is offline  
Old 07-13-05, 07:54 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bremerton WA
Posts: 5,628
I've heard it will also be played on Velocity.
Nesbit is offline  
Old 07-13-05, 07:57 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Rypro 525's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: a frikin hellhole
Posts: 28,263
the william reagal match at the brian pillman show is on the chris benoit dvd.
Rypro 525 is offline  
Old 07-14-05, 08:16 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,762
This is dumb..... they also did articles when SGT Slaughter was a iraqi general back when iraqi war 1 was going on
raven56706 is offline  
Old 07-14-05, 10:10 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Charlie Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Sesame Street (the apt. next to Bob's)
Posts: 20,199
Originally Posted by Birrman54
I don't follow wrestling anymore, what happened on Smackdown?

birrman54
Hassan has someone who comes to the ring with him, Daivari. He wrestles too, but is more of a mouthpiece for Hassan. Daivari got crushed by The Undertaker, and then a group of ski mask "terrorists" attacked Taker. They then picked up an unconcious Daivari, and carried him out over their heads, like he was a holy sacrifice.
Charlie Goose is offline  
Old 07-14-05, 12:34 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,662
I'll say one thing... if Hassan and the WWE expects us to believe that that "angle" wasn't supposed to link him to terrorists, they're fooling themselves. C'mon. Surely they can't use that as a defense.

Personally, I thought it was in poor taste even without the context of the bombings, but hey, the WWE writers always have some angle like that. You'd think he could get over on him mic work and wrestling alone, without having to take his gimmick that far.
fujishig is offline  
Old 07-14-05, 11:48 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,924
This isn't even a part of his character. He is a character that is Arab-American that has been discriminated against, but not a terrorist.

The thing that bothers me about this is that they backed away from the angle (regardless of how badly thought-out it was). If you start the angle, go further with it and lead into the GAB. I just hope that Hassan wins at the GAB and moves forward, hopefully on Raw.
scottall is offline  
Old 07-15-05, 01:23 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
tonymontana313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,746
Originally Posted by scottall
This isn't even a part of his character. He is a character that is Arab-American that has been discriminated against, but not a terrorist.

The thing that bothers me about this is that they backed away from the angle (regardless of how badly thought-out it was). If you start the angle, go further with it and lead into the GAB. I just hope that Hassan wins at the GAB and moves forward, hopefully on Raw.
I completely agree with you that he needs to go back to Raw. There is no point in having him creatively handcuffed on Smackdown.
tonymontana313 is offline  
Old 07-15-05, 01:10 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 27,662
Originally Posted by scottall
This isn't even a part of his character. He is a character that is Arab-American that has been discriminated against, but not a terrorist.
I agree, he hasn't been portrayed as a terrorist, but when you have guys under his command in ski masks come out, what do you think McMahon was trying to say about him? Of course they were going for a terrorist angle.
fujishig is offline  
Old 07-16-05, 09:42 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 908
Personally I hope they send him to OVW and repackage him. This anti-american gimmick has been done to death and beyond in the WWE
Braddok is offline  
Old 07-16-05, 09:55 PM
  #23  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 20,857
Originally Posted by Braddok
Personally I hope they send him to OVW and repackage him. This anti-american gimmick has been done to death and beyond in the WWE
It's an easy given way to get a crowd reaction and get "good vs. evil" going (what all of entertainment wrestling is about). It's been there since day 1 and it's not just WWF/E.

New generation of fans = new booing/clapping for the same thing.

Pretty sure "controversial" is a keyword that makes for the pro-wrestling ratings.
The Cow is online now  
Old 07-17-05, 10:52 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,924
Originally Posted by fujishig
I agree, he hasn't been portrayed as a terrorist, but when you have guys under his command in ski masks come out, what do you think McMahon was trying to say about him?
I can tell people to do whatever I want and they will do it.

It was obvious and cheap, and hopefully will be forgotten about after the PPV. It will most likely increase buyrates, though.
scottall is offline  
Old 07-21-05, 01:24 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
nickdawgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southern Cal-ee-for-nee
Posts: 29,344
Looks like UPN doesn't want Hassen on their network ever again. Just read about it.
nickdawgy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.