DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   Should Kenny Rogers know when to fold 'em (MLB All-Star game)? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/429607-should-kenny-rogers-know-when-fold-em-mlb-all-star-game.html)

Y2K Falcon 07-07-05 05:46 AM

Should Kenny Rogers know when to fold 'em (MLB All-Star game)?

He has "apologized", and is awaiting his appeal to be decided on. He technically could play at this point, but should he???

Clement says he is ready to take the slot, if it becomes available.

Goat3001 07-07-05 06:35 AM

Eventhough I disagree with his off the field stuff I do think he's earned the right to be there (9-4 2.46). If anything he should play and give the money he earns for the game to charity. (BTW Kenny, if you're reading this goat3001 is a good charity to donate to :))

twikoff 07-07-05 06:42 AM

all this crap is blown way out of proportion
he is going to serve a 20 game suspension

but since he is technically eligible to play in the all star game, and has earned the right. He should play

Jericho 07-07-05 09:47 AM

I don't know what deal with the devil Rogers made to actually pitch so well this year, but he deserves his spot on the team and should keep it. Now whether Francona actually plays him is another story...

Deftones 07-07-05 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Eventhough I disagree with his off the field stuff I do think he's earned the right to be there (9-4 2.46). If anything he should play and give the money he earns for the game to charity. (BTW Kenny, if you're reading this goat3001 is a good charity to donate to :))

And just as he's "earned" the right to be there, he "unearned" it as soon as he attacked that cameraman. He's getting off far to lightly for what he did.

Jobronie 07-07-05 10:17 AM

ESPN radio had a TX writer on this AM; they claim this is the one reporter that The Gambler likes and tends to open up to (or something like that; he gets all the scoops on Rogers). He said that Rogers was defintely leaning toward NOT going to the All Star, and the Sox and Clement already have travel arrangements made to get Clement to the game with the rest of the Red Sox......

Josh H 07-07-05 11:46 AM

He shouldn't play, he disgraced the sport and should not be able to represent it at the all star game.

All this appeal crap is bullshit anyway. Athletes shouldn't be able to appeal suspension IMO.

Bell65 07-07-05 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
And just as he's "earned" the right to be there, he "unearned" it as soon as he attacked that cameraman. He's getting off far to lightly for what he did.

yeah, because being in the all-star game is so goddamned sacred. People get into these things based on the popular vote of 4 major cities: NY, Chicago, LA, and Tokyo!

Rogers has had a phenominal season thusfar and just because some jackass in the press harassed him or got on his nerves and he lost is temper doesn't mean this should be taken away.

So do we take away Rodman's rings or Randy Johnson's cy youngs!? Hell Kobe raped a girl and he still got an NBA title!

Let Kenny pitch, let the asshole millionaire fans who got all star tickets an dont really understand baseball BOO Rogers when he comes out, watch him pitch an inning and then call it a day!
End of Story

Josh H 07-07-05 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bell65
Rogers has had a phenominal season thusfar and just because some jackass in the press harassed him or got on his nerves and he lost is temper doesn't mean this should be taken away.

The "jackass" did nothing but stand on the field filming the players coming out on the field like he does every game while waiting for the manager to come out for his pre-game interview. He did nothing to harass or annoy Rodgers. Rodgers was just pissed about getting ridiculed in the media for breaking his hand punching the water cooler.

Deftones 07-07-05 01:16 PM

wtf? :whofart:

Are you seriously contending that the Roger attack was provoked by the cameraman? Holy crap you are daft.

shizawn 07-07-05 01:27 PM

I don't think he should be allowed to participate. But since he is, I hope he declines to participate.

El Scorcho 07-07-05 01:42 PM

wtf? :whofart:

Are you seriously contending that the Roger attack was provoked by the cameraman? Holy crap you are daft.

In all fairness, Roger has walked by cameramen filming pregame crap for thousands of games without incident. Something -- lord knows what -- had to have provoked Roger this time.

It's not a justification by any means, but I hardly believe that the camera man was fully innocent either.

Josh H 07-07-05 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
In all fairness, Roger has walked by cameramen filming pregame crap for thousands of games without incident. Something -- lord knows what -- had to have provoked Roger this time.

It's not a justification by any means, but I hardly believe that the camera man was fully innocent either.

I think it was just that he was getting crap in the media about punching the water cooler and breaking his hand, and when the guy was filming him he just snapped and took it out on him.

No provocation. He was just pissed off at the media in general, when he should have been pissed off at himself for acting like a 2 year old and throwing a fit in the dug out.

Deftones 07-07-05 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by El Scorcho

No way. It was a culmination of the shit Rogers the few days prior. Something pissed him off and the cameraman was the guy who felt the wrath of it.

gilbertr76 07-07-05 02:08 PM

Rogers should have heeded his own advice from one of his songs...

Promise me, son, not to do the things I've done.
Walk away from trouble if you can.
Now it don't mean you're weak if you turn the other cheek.
I hope you're old enough to understand:
Son, you don't have to fight to be a man.
-ohbfrank-

Goat3001 07-07-05 02:32 PM

I disagree. Eventhough I don't like what he did I don't think he "unearned" anything. IMO its all about what he did on the field, and that was pitch very well. The only way he would "unearn" the right is if he went on a stretch where he got shelled.

chrisih8u 07-07-05 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle

All this appeal crap is bullshit anyway. Athletes shouldn't be able to appeal suspension IMO.

I disagree. I think they should be allowed to appeal. But it shouldnt take so long to hear the case. MLB could easily send someone down to hear the appeal within a few days.

dolphinboy 07-07-05 08:03 PM

Bonderman deserves his spot anyway.