Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Can you still root for a team...

Old 07-05-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can you still root for a team...

... after they leave your city?

I hate the Hornets. The New Orleans Hornets. I know that Charlotte basically drove them away by turning their back on the team, but that still doesn't excuse George Shinn moving them away to Cajun country.

Yet today I was reading about the offseason plans of the various NBA teams... and I found myself thinking about the Hornets, who now have Chris Paul, and some good free agents. Much like thinking about an ex-girlfriend, one that dumped you and broke your heart... and yet, damn it... you know, you had some good times... maybe she's changed. Maybe you should call her up. You know you shouldn't -- she's a no-good tramp and you know it -- and yet...

I can't even imagine how fans of the original Cleveland Browns felt when the "Ravens" won the Super Bowl. Or how the Baltimore Colts fans must have felt watching Peyton Manning score all those touchdowns.

So if your team packs up and leaves for greener pastures... can you ever forgive and forget? Can you ever love them again?
Old 07-06-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a chance.

With the exception of the San Jose Sharks, my favorite teams are from cities I don't live in. So I don't think I'd ever have to deal with this situation, but if the Sharks ever did move, I'd cut all ties with them.
Old 07-06-05, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure. In your example of Charlotte... Well, Charlotte got a new team shortly after the Hornets left. I'd have to think that would make it easier to "dump" the old team. But if the city doesn't get a new team? I'm not sure how I'd handle that. There'd be what, three options? Root for the old team in a new city, find another team or just give up on the sport completely?

Being from DC, I guess how my parents/grandparents/great grandparents handled the two Senators teams gives an answer to that... All were fans of the old Senators and as far as I know the day the two teams moved to Minnesota and then Texas, could have cared less about them.

I'm not into basketball or hockey, so the only two I'd ever have to contend with would be baseball (Given DC's history with baseball, the National's probably won't be here forever) and football. I've developed a passion for the Nat's pretty quickly given they just came here three months ago, but I doubt I'll ever be attached enough to follow them if they moved. If they did, I'd just go back to the Red Sox who I rooted for for the last two decades.

The Redskins though? I grew up in the 80's at the height of the Gibbs era and the height of their popularity. Having gone from 0-10 in such a passionate era, and having that passion wear off on me... If they moved to Arlington alongside the old Senators and renamed themselves the Cowgirls I can't imagine losing interest unless a new team took their place. Of course, the Redskins are the absolute last team that would ever, ever move in the NFL, so it's a moot point.
Old 07-06-05, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I hate the Raiders and Rams, but were fans of em when they were in Southern California. Same with Tiger Woods...when he played for Western it was cool, but then he chose Stanford over UCLA. Matt Leinert stayed after Mater Dei, but he plays for $UC, which is too bad.
Old 07-06-05, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For me, it depends on the reason. If I was a Cleveland Browns fan and the owner up and moves them to Baltimore, I'd cut all ties. If they move due to a lack of fans support, they'd still be my team in their new city.

I'm a die hard NFL fan. I eat drink and sleep the NFL and hte Vikings are my team, always have been. That said, if Red McCombs would have moved them to LA or Texas, I would cut all ties.

In fact, my friends and I all have "2nd Teams". Those are teams we'd root for if we lost our favorite team. Like if the Vikings left, I'd be a huge Seahawks fan (no idea why, always loved them since Largent). Wild leave, i'd be a Canucks fan.
Old 07-06-05, 08:52 AM

The only team sport I follow is soccer, so I don't have that problem.
Old 07-06-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk God

hopefully, it will never come to that
but if an atlanta team ever moved, i would probably still root for them
unless/until another team replaced them in atlanta

but no way i could see that happening.. well, maybe the hockey team, if hockey ever plays again.
Old 07-06-05, 10:11 AM

Growing up in St. Louis, I was a football Cardinals fan, and when they moved, I found myself not overly dismayed, mainly because they were and are complete shit as a franchise. When the Rams finally came, it wasn't quite the same as growing up rooting for a team, but it's been vastly more fun watching the Rams than it was the Big Red. That said, if any of the teams I root for were to move, I would cease any support for them. Geographic links are stronger than devotion to a team that saw fit to break those links to the city.
Old 07-06-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Hell no. When the Colts left Baltimore when I was 13, that was it. Hated them instantly. Still do. Even more insulting was that they attempted to placate Baltimore Colts fans by airing the Indy Colts games in Baltimore their first year in Indy.
Old 07-06-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Growing up in AZ, I had the luxury of being forced to choose teams in other areas to root for because we were without MLB, NFL, and NHL teams when my interest in sports began. I have always rooted for the Suns of the NBA and used to be partial to the Sonics, as well, because Shawn Kemp was simply amazing in the early stages of his career. The Sonics still hold a small place in my heart, but the resurgence of the Suns last year made it easier to focus on the one team. I doubt either the Suns or the Sonics will be leaving town any time soon, though.

While I do root for the home teams we now have in AZ, my heart lies elsewhere. I am a fan of the Chicago Cubs, Kansas City Chiefs, and New York Rangers. I would be absolutely shocked if any of these teams moved in my lifetime, but even if they did, it would not stop me from pulling for them...
Old 07-06-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I will forever root against the Dallas Stars.
Old 07-06-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Charlotte did the smartest thing evarrr by an NBA team that has low attendance: they picked up two members of an NCAA championship team from the most popular school in the state. Attendance, for at least the next year or two, will definitely pick up. In the future, they should only pick from five teams: UNC, Duke, WFU, NCSU and UNC-Charlotte. Seriously.
Old 07-06-05, 02:51 PM

Mojo - you should be ecstatic and eternally grateful that Shinn slinked his skanky ass out of state. That m-fer was a stain on the city and is still a stain on the sport. He taints the whole franchise by association.
Old 07-06-05, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by mgbfan
Just like I hope the Memphis Grizzlies never ever win a playoff series.
Old 07-09-05, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Grandmaster C
Just like I hope the Memphis Grizzlies never ever win a playoff series.
I hope they never win a playoff series AND that they all get syphillis.
Old 07-09-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm smart I picked teams that will never leave their cities the Broncos and baseball Cards are never going anywhere
Old 07-09-05, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by solipsta
I hope they never win a playoff series AND that they all get syphillis.
And I thought I hated them.
Old 07-12-05, 09:47 PM

Oh yeah, fuck the Washington Nationals too.
Old 07-13-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have often wondered this with the rumors of the Pittsburgh Penguins leaving town every other year. Now that I am leaving the area myself to live in Northern Virginia, I guess it won't matter if they move or not. I'll still root for the [insert city] Penguins, although I would hope it would always be the Pittsburgh Penguins.

I certainly can't start rooting for the Caps.

Last edited by SunMonkey; 07-13-05 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-13-05, 09:49 AM

I hated to see the Hornets go but Shit, I mean Shinn wouldn't sell and his ass had to go. I wish Chris Paul well but we got the Bobcats now and as much as I hate that name I'm looking foward to next season.
Old 07-13-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mgbfan
amen
Old 07-13-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only local team I have is the Sooners, and luckily the team and the city have a long term deal in place.

My other teams, Vikings and Blackhawks I have no worries if they move or not as they are so far away from me anyway.