Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Prime Sampras v Prime Federer - Wimbledon Final, who would u Pick ?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Prime Sampras v Prime Federer - Wimbledon Final, who would u Pick ?

Old 07-04-05, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'd say the equipment has evolved.

I'd like to see how these players of today would play with the equipment that Borg, Conners, and McEnroe used. That was the golden age of tennis. Those guys were real players.
Yup, good post
I would throw Sampras in there too, even though he was pretty much a robot.
Old 07-04-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Cow
How old are you?
Old enough to have been in and around tennis for over 25 years as a competitive player, coach and tournament organizer. I worked for Tennis Canada and evaluated/trained/worked with the best junior prospects. I've probably seen more tennis players and matches than all people on this forum combined. Is that good enough?
Old 07-04-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'd say the equipment has evolved.

I'd like to see how these players of today would play with the equipment that Borg, Conners, and McEnroe used. That was the golden age of tennis. Those guys were real players.
Answer, they'd still beat the crap out of them. Today's players are better in all departments than players of 20 years ago. Teaching and training techniques are lightyears ahead of what they used to be.
Old 07-04-05, 09:18 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Old enough to have been in and around tennis for over 25 years as a competitive player, coach and tournament organizer. I worked for Tennis Canada and evaluated/trained/worked with the best junior prospects. I've probably seen more tennis players and matches than all people on this forum combined. Is that good enough?
Don't care about your resume. Just was looking to see the range of pros you have actually seen.

They play tennis in Canada? Get on top of making curling the world sport! I actually do like it!)
Old 07-04-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And Roddick is probably the only somewhat competition on grass. Hard to compare different times.
Come on. Tennis is the single most competitive sport out there. Of course it does seem there isn't any competion when someone is dominating a game like Federer is doing right now.

If Krajicek can beat Sampras in his prime at Wimbledon, then Federer will.
Old 07-04-05, 10:54 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Mark_vdH
Come on. Tennis is the single most competitive sport out there.
??? (Not sure where you pulled that from)

You really think there are great men's tennis players in this era other than Federer and Roddick?

(And Courier with the same equipment could be just as good or better, like was said, it's hard to compare different eras.)
Old 07-04-05, 11:16 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

??? (Not sure where you pulled that from)

You really think there are great men's tennis players in this era other than Federer and Roddick?

(And Courier with the same equipment could be just as good or better, like was said, it's hard to compare different eras.)

Old 07-05-05, 12:29 AM

Yeah, because players such as:

Marat Safin (younger version)
Marcelo Rios
Goran Ivanisevic
Cedric Pioline
Carlos Moya
Michael Chang

were so much better than the players atop the rankings today.

I too believe the golden age of tennis was the Borg-Connors-McEnroe era, but a Sampras-Federer final would only go three sets, four tops.
Old 07-05-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pharoh

I too believe the golden age of tennis was the Borg-Connors-McEnroe era, but a Sampras-Federer final would only go three sets, four tops.
Looks like we can finally agree on something.

Let me try another angle. What do you guys think the Williams Sisters, or Clijsters, or Davenport, or about 10 Russian women would do today to moonballing players like Sabatini or Sanchez Vicario? They'd destroy them. Even Graf would get killed because her backhand was too weak. And we're somehow supposed to believe that only the women's side benefited from advances in technique and development/training methods? So please stop with the equipment thing, it ain't just the equipment.
Old 07-05-05, 01:42 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like we can finally agree on something.

Let me try another angle. What do you guys think the Williams Sisters, or Clijsters, or Davenport, or about 10 Russian women would do today to moonballing players like Sabatini or Sanchez Vicario? They'd destroy them. Even Graf would get killed because her backhand was too weak. And we're somehow supposed to believe that only the women's side benefited from advances in technique and development/training methods? So please stop with the equipment thing, it ain't just the equipment.
i am sorry buddy but do not put graf in that group, not one player in today's game can play as well as her, or hit that slice the way she did, maybe she did not have the power but she had everything else.

Last edited by ruk; 07-05-05 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-05-05, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mark_vdH
but his talent is in no way comparable to Federer's.
a little overboard, I'd say.
Old 07-05-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk God

So please stop with the equipment thing, it ain't just the equipment.

I didn't say that, but I think it is predominantly the equipment. These guys wouldn't be blasting serves (which, incidentally, has totally ruined the spectator appeal of the game) constantly.

Question: did your game improve with equipment advances? Mine sure did.
Old 07-06-05, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok let's go in depth here

Firstly Agassi is not that far away from his prime form, sounds silly but in Jan at the Aussie open, until he met Federer , he was playing close to as good as he ever did, then he met Federer and was beaten more badly than anyone has ever beaten him when he was playng well.

Not Safin, yes Safin you say, Safin's A Game is close to as devastating tennis as it is possible to play. His A game involves serving as big as Ivanisevic, returning and passing as well as Agassi, deadly groundies and decent volleys. Now we all know that Safin is not all mentally there so we get his D game as often as we get his A game. More often than not, he produces his B or C game.

Now isolating Safin's A game only. Sampras encountered it in the final of the US and was blown away as badly as anyone has been blown away. Federer encountered it in the semis of this year's Aussie open and it was a line ball 5 setter.

That definitely says something to me.

Sampras's strengths, his forehand esp on the run, his first and second serve may be a tad stronger than Rogers, but his weaknesses , esp the backhand return of serve are way way weaker than anything of Rogers
Old 07-06-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sampras 7 6 7 6 11
Federer 6 7 6 7 9