Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related
View Poll Results: Will Derek Jeter make the all-star team? Post a Poll
Yes
52.94%
No
47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Will Derek Jeter make the all-star team?

Old 07-01-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Will Derek Jeter make the all-star team?

Place your bets now! Of all the potential players to make (or not make) the all-star team, the one that will get the talking heads all crazy is Derek Jeter. With Miguel Tejada winning the fan vote, Jeter would have to win the player/coach vote to get in the game. Michael Young is his biggest competition. If he doesn't beat Young, Francona really can't name him as a reserve as he gets to name only 5 players (4 pitchers and 1 hitter), and will likely have to name one Devil Ray, Athletic, and Royal among those five. Of course, there's always the fan vote for the 32nd player. But even if he does get the 32nd spot, I'm sure there will be plenty of talk about him should he miss the first cut.

So as a pre-emptive strike on the all-star snub talk, I give you the Derek Jeter Poll....
Old 07-01-05, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

yankee manager doesnt pick the reserves this year
Old 07-01-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep.... that means American League will lose....
Old 07-01-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by raven56706
Yep.... that means American League will lose....
yea.. cause torre is so great at taking the most expensive talent in baseball and winning games

oh wait a minute.......
Old 07-01-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Blah blah blah... NL has a stronger team..... there is no doubt about it.... Nothing against Arod as well.... NL looks stronger this year
Old 07-01-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eh...one game series are toss-ups anyways. Since there is a home-field advantage for the winning league, they should make it an All-star SERIES and make it a best of 5. Then you would get a better chance of the best team winning.
Old 07-01-05, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes.
Old 07-01-05, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Eh...one game series are toss-ups anyways.
can you have a one game series?

Old 07-01-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jericho
I give you the Derek Jeter Poll....
Didn't A-rod already take it?

yes! First gay joke in the thread! *hi 5s all around*
Old 07-02-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
can you have a one game series?
Tom Tolbert from KNBR/NBA announcing argues that you can't even have a 2 game series.

No, I don't think he goes this year.
Old 07-02-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Didn't A-rod already take it?

yes! First gay joke in the thread! *hi 5s all around*
Stop that!!!!!!!!!!! You'll offend all the geys including yourself

Yes Peter Jeter will get picked as an All Star
Old 07-02-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Im surprised Jeter's name isnt already pre-punched on the ballots. A few days ago, the media made a deal about it being the 1 year anniversary of "the catch" against the Red Sox. You remember, right? It was the routine fly ball cought in shallow left field. I remember the game for Pokey Reeses similar, yet better catch during the same game. But nobody else seems to.

And for the hell of it, heres an article about Jeter and Slappy getting into a catfight last week.
Did Yankee teammates Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez have a locker-room brawl last week?

The two sluggers mixed it up on June 20, after an errant throw from shortstop Jeter to third baseman A-Rod handed the Yankees a 5-4 loss to the last-place Tampa Bay Devil Rays, according to a TV producer loitering in the clubhouse.

"[I] saw them go at it," the source tells Radaronline.com. "A-Rod walked past Jeter's locker and mumbled something about his throw, then Jeter told him to go [bleep] himself and all hell broke lose. Their teammates were pulling them away from each other.

Says a ball club insider, "Now you have guys like Bernie Williams, who remember winning the World Series, taking Jeter's side, and then you have the [recent] trades, like Tony Womack, taking A-Rod's side."

Two Yankee players told The News they had no knowledge of a fight. And team spokesman Rick Cerone labeled the report an "absolute fantasy," and denied any quarreling among the players.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/goss...p-277094c.html
Old 07-02-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chrisih8u

And for the hell of it, heres an article about Jeter and Slappy getting into a catfight last week.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/goss...p-277094c.html

Even lovers have fights on occasion.
Old 07-02-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Im surprised Jeter's name isnt already pre-punched on the ballots. A few days ago, the media made a deal about it being the 1 year anniversary of "the catch" against the Red Sox. You remember, right? It was the routine fly ball cought in shallow left field. I remember the game for Pokey Reeses similar, yet better catch during the same game. But nobody else seems to.
You can say what you want about the diving into the stands (whether it was necessary or not). A lot of people say that he could've slid and saved himself from the stands. Also had he slid instead of diving the play wouldn't be remembered as much as it is (still highlight reel material though). However, the catch itself wasn't routine. Its not a ball you see often, it was placed perfectly on the line by the batter (I forget who it was) and wasn't hit very high. I understand the hate on Jeter (actually I don't, but I understand its there) and I understand the hate on the play but I think its fair to give credit where credit is due, it was a good hustle play that a lot of players don't make. And I won't take anything from Pokey Reese's catch, that too was a great play that a lot of players can't make.

Back on topic, I think Jeter will get to play but won't (and shouldn't) get voted in. Miguel Tejada is arguably the MVP of the first half and deserves the start.
Old 07-03-05, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jeter is a Michigan native so that could help him.
Old 07-03-05, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First off, I agree 100% on the Pokey Reese thing. He did make a better catch in almost the same circumstances as Jeter in the same game. Most fans never knew the Reese play even occured, for whatever reason...

Second, as a side note, how many times has Jeter actually won the SS fan balloting. I know he's hyped to all hell, but for a guy who supposed to be beloved a be a big star, he's lost the starting shortstop position to four different players: Ripken, Nomar, Tejada, and Arod. Doesn't that say something about his popularity?
Old 07-06-05, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Barring a freak Michael Young injury or something similar, it looks like the correct answer was no.
Old 07-07-05, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Derek Jeter all star petition:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...cgi?JeterASG&1

Old 07-07-05, 11:48 AM
Retired