Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Top Ten "Unbreakable" Sports Records

Old 06-27-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Top Ten "Unbreakable" Sports Records

AskMen.com recently published a list of the Top 10 "Unbreakable" sports records:

Number 10
Rocky Marciano's 49-0
Boxing

Number 9
Michael Schumacher's 7 championships
F1 Driving

Number 8
Ty Cobb's .366 career batting average
Baseball

Number 7
Nolan Ryan's 7 no-hitters
Baseball

Number 6
Wayne Gretzky's 215-point season
Hockey

Number 5
Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point night
Basketball

Number 4
John Wooden's 88 straight wins
Basketball

Number 3
Cy Young's 511 wins
Baseball

Number 2
Jerry Rice's 22,895 receiving yards
Football

Number 1
Cal Ripken's 2,632 consecutive games
Baseball

Hard to argue with the list... but which of these 10 "unbreakable" records would you predict will fall first?

I would target three: Schumacher's F1 championships (tough, but not impossible); Wilt's 100 point night (Jordan had 63, I believe; I can see a player like Stoudemire or Iverson just exploding); and Rice's 22,895 career receiving yards (not impossible, just damned_difficult).

Am I wrong? Maybe. Which "unbreakable" record would you pick?
Old 06-27-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree to target rice and maybe nolan ryan's 7 no-nos is possible if dominating pitcher comes along. If someone like moss with his head on straight comes around.

If lance gets 7 this year, I think it will be very damn hard to get 8 (in a row).
Old 06-27-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ive seen similar lists and they've been better than this one. Dimaggio's hit streak should have made it. Cy Young's win total should be number 1.

Last edited by chrisih8u; 06-27-05 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-27-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didnt Julio cesar chavez beat that record.....or do they mean the heavyweigt division?
Old 06-27-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Cy's record is less attainable than Cal's.

Aren't they expanding the hockey goals? Someone could make a run at Gretzky's record. Marciano's record is also vulnerable.
Old 06-27-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Number 10
Rocky Marciano's 49-0
Boxing

Don't know much about boxing, so no comment.

Number 9
Michael Schumacher's 7 championships
F1 Driving

I know nothing about F1 racing, so no comment on this one, either.

Number 8
Ty Cobb's .366 career batting average
Baseball

This record was set in a different era, and it won't fall unless baseball as we know it changes into something completely different in 100 years.

Number 7
Nolan Ryan's 7 no-hitters
Baseball

A combo of luck and longevity is the only way to break this one. There are plenty of great pitchers who don't even have 1 no-hitter, much less 7.

Number 6
Wayne Gretzky's 215-point season
Hockey

I know little about hockey, but this seems unreachable.

Number 5
Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point night
Basketball

Completely unbreakable. One player would have to take nearly all his teams shots, and at some point they would just get too tired to be accurate. Also, no team would want to be "the team that allowed someone to score 100 points," so the player would get absolutely pounded.

Number 4
John Wooden's 88 straight wins
Basketball

Seems unreachable.

Number 3
Cy Young's 511 wins
Baseball

See my comment on Cobb's record. Even then, it still wouldn't fall.

Number 2
Jerry Rice's 22,895 receiving yards
Football

I don't think this one should be on the list, much less at number 2. It's an amazing stat, but someone could get there.

Number 1
Cal Ripken's 2,632 consecutive games
Baseball

The most "unbreakable" of all records, IMO.
Old 06-27-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

NCMojo

Am I wrong?
Yes.

No one will score 100 points in a regulation game unless it's rigged or the rules are changed.

As to the others, boxing can be rigged through fight selection, winning 7 F1s isn't impossible, 7 no-nos could happen, and Rice's record probably won't last forever.

Cy Young's record is probably the most impossible unless the game substantially changes. It's hard enough for a pitcher to get 511 decisions anymore, let alone wins. Of course, potentially even more impossible to break is his 314 losses or staggering 750 complete games.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 06-27-05 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-27-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Ive seen similar lists and they've been better than this one.
maybe here
Old 06-27-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ive seen similar lists and they've been better than this one. Dimaggio's hit streak should have made it. Cy Young's win total should be number 1.
I agree that DiMaggio's hit streak is pretty incredible... but there's already been a couple of decent runs at it. No one has even come close to Nolan Ryan's 7 no hitters, or Cy Young's win total.

If you read the full article at the link, they go a lot further in explaining each record and why it is considered unbreakable.
Old 06-27-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As for 100 points in a basketball game: Shaq had a good article on it -- http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nba/s...meout-shaq.htm

But if David freakin' Robinson can score 71... c'mon, surely someone, someday, can score 100 again.
Old 06-27-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Celtics winning 11 NBA Championships in 13 years, including 8 in a row. Can't see that happening again.
with the cap, and contracts being limited to 6 (?) years, I could agree with that.
Old 06-27-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Do NBA teams even score 100 points in a game anymore?
Old 06-27-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff
maybe here
I remember that baseball thread, but I thought we had an all sports thread. I guess not. Maybe what I was referring to was a USA Today article or ESPN piece. Or maybe Im just crazy?
Old 06-27-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cobb's batting average can fall someday. THe highest active career leader is Todd Helton with .338. Cobb had .366. That's only 28 extra hits every 1000 at bats. And since you need 3000 plate appearances to end up on the career leaderboard, that's only 84 extra hits for a career (if he stops at 3000 PA). With ballparks fences and pitchers mounds and foul territory areas changing all the time, plus with new technology for batters to analyze pitchers, it's certainly possible.

Cy Young's 511 wins is the one that will never fall. That's barely over 20 wins a year for 25 years. A - most pitchers don't pitch that long and B - Few have more than 5 20-win seasons anymore.

Cal Ripken's isn't that unbreakable. It just involves avoiding the injury bug for the better half of two decades. And with the hundreds of MLB players cycling through the big leagues every year, someone will eventually do it.
Old 06-27-05, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706
Didnt Julio cesar chavez beat that record.....or do they mean the heavyweigt division?
I think Chavez made it to 90-0 before running into Frankie Randall (Not counting the Whitaker fight)

One boxing record that will never be broken is Archie Moore's KO victims, 129 of them.
Old 06-27-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
No one will score 100 points in a regulation game unless it's rigged or the rules are changed.
Granted, I haven't seen the game in question...

I've heard that Wilt wouldn't have scored anywhere near 100 with today's rulles, because half his baskets would have been called goaltending.
Old 06-27-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by raven56706
I think they're talking about heavyweights. The amazing thing about Marciano isn't his number of wins, but that he retired undefeated. Up until Ricardo Lopez he was the only champion from all the weight classes to ever do that.
Old 06-27-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NCMojo

But if David freakin' Robinson can score 71... c'mon, surely someone, someday, can score 100 again.
You must be confusing the David Robinson that played with Tim Duncan, the guy with the bad back and knees with the David that scored 71. That is the David that once did a hand stand and walked on his hands all the way from half court to the baseline on a bet with John Lucas. A freaking 7 foot guy. That David was an amazing athlete and scorer and I sat many nights in the Arena watching him score at will. Hell, he had no choice considering how bad his teammates were.

For someone to break 100 it would have to be a 150 point score at the end of the game and the person that broke the record would have to be a big man that got a ton of easy inside baskets. I think the record is next to impossible to ever be broken, but Amare would be my bet to get close to it if everything happened to fall right one night.

The list has some good stuff on it, but I agree Rice's record is not impossible and I would think the F1 record is possible as well. Ryan's 7 no hitters doesn't seem nearly as impossible as the 5,000 strikeouts to me.

Young's wins is the one that strikes me the most as being totally impossible unless we start building cyborgs to play in the MLB.

Last edited by darkside; 06-27-05 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-27-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Number 11
Number of home runs bounced off head - Jose Canseco
Baseball
Old 06-27-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I pretty much agree with this. Overall (with the exception of 511 pitching victories), I think records that require "in a row" are a lot less likely to be broken than the others, since you can't have an off night.

Last edited by Ginwen; 06-27-05 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-27-05, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm surprised to see Dimaggio's record not make the list. Its breakable but not as breakable as other records on the list. IIRC Pete Rose was the closest to breaking it at 44. Finding a hitter like Rose is tough to do. Ichiro could do it but again I doubt it. A 20 game hitting streak is impressive, getting to 56 would be ridiculous.

I can see Cobb's record falling. If someone does it I think it would be Pujols. He's currentsly batting .333 and is just getting better. Like someone mentioned earlier thats just a few more hits per 1000 AB's.

Ripkens record would be a marathon too. I can't imagine this falling anytime soon but it is possible.

Cy Young's record, IMO is the only one that will never fall. Its impossible unless the game changes drastically. Pitchers just don't pitch as much now as they did back then. IIRC, Cy Young would pitch pretty much every other day or every third day. Not going to happen with this era.
Old 06-27-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

of course, everything has to be taken with a grain of salt

15 years ago.. Hank Aaron's homerun record was one that many people put HIGH on their unbreakable record list.. then through the 90s, it looked like Griffey was the man.. And Bonds came out of nowhere to jump all over it.

Of course, there have been alot of changes that have caused huge explosions in homeruns.. but nothing says there wont be changes in other sports that can the dynamics to change.. especially with career records

as mentioned above.. its the awesome consecutive records that really do seem toughest to reach.. and ripken's would be pretty high on my list.
Old 06-27-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gretsky will fall first, Lemieux had 199 in 1988 and others will come close as well.
Old 06-27-05, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by NCMojo
AskMen.com recently published a list of the Top 10 "Unbreakable" sports records:

Hard to argue with the list... but which of these 10 "unbreakable" records would you predict will fall first?

I would target three: Schumacher's F1 championships (tough, but not impossible); Wilt's 100 point night (Jordan had 63, I believe; I can see a player like Stoudemire or Iverson just exploding); and Rice's 22,895 career receiving yards (not impossible, just damned_difficult).

Am I wrong? Maybe. Which "unbreakable" record would you pick?
Another driver will win 8 driving championships before someone scores more than 13 goals in a World Cup, breaking Just Fontaine's record. The sport is played too differently now for that sort of thing to happen.
Old 06-27-05, 03:57 PM

Ripken's run is "probably" number 1 for me. In today's sports, money talks. Teams sit players just to avoid injury. To play that many consecutive games is nearly impossible.

Same logic as Wilt's 100 point game. That would be 2nd for me. Shaq on his birthday 3 or 4 years ago had 61...I think at mid 3rd quarter. It was a complete blowout and he sat. Why let him continue to play and "risk" injury? Not worth it for any team.

Talking about consistancy, try these on:

MLB - Carl Owen Hubbell with 26 consecutive pitching wins in 1936-37 (reachable)

MLB - Orel Hershiser's 59 consecutive shutout innings

NFL - Jim Marshall played 282 consecutive games in 1960-1979 (OMG 20 seasons, no miss)

NBA - Wilt averaged 50.4 ppg in '61/62

NBA - 33 consecutive wins by the Lakers

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.