Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Michelle Wie Tied For Lead In US Open

Old 06-26-05, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Michelle Wie Tied For Lead In US Open

15 year old Michelle Wie is currently tied for the lead with Morgan Pressel and Britain's Karen Stupples in the U.S. Womens Open:

Some of you may remember Wie from her second-place finish at the LPGA Championship this year:

Or of course some of you may remember her from the Laureus Newcomer Awards in Lisbon, Portugal:

So she's definitely a young star to, umm, keep an eye on...
Old 06-26-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it appears this girl is the real deal...pretty damned amazing. I was rooting for Annika to get the sweep though....interestingly enough, her first major was on this same course 10 years ago - and she made up a five shot deficit on Sunday to win that one, which is how many she's behind right now. But then again, she wasn't up against the bionic golfinator ten years ago either.
Old 06-26-05, 01:36 PM

It would be a really cool thing if she can get it done today.
Old 06-26-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man with Wie, Anika and Creamer in the LPGA I'm really starting to watch this more and more. I like golf, but just couldn't sit and watch a bunch of manish women play the sport. Yeah I know I'm a pig, but I just prefer to watch women play women's sports. I'd watch the WNBA if there were more Sue Bird's, but 80% of the league is Jawanna Men and I just can't watch ugly Russian women miss layups for two hours.

I had no idea Wie was only 15. I could go to jail over my thought crimes about her yesterday.

Last edited by darkside; 06-26-05 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-26-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd love to see Wie win the Public Links Amateur and get an exemption to play in the Masters.
Old 06-26-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Natalie Gulbis is also nice to look at and a pretty good golfer too
Old 06-26-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Just turned it on today - looks like she has struggled. That being said, she has all the makings - game and looks - to be a superstar.

Speaking of pretty - while I've never played the Cherry Hills course, I've seen it (well, part of it) - it is gorgeous. Wish the men's Open would return there.
Old 06-26-05, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe Mojo should check out the sticky thread about thread titles.

Just when I thought Ochoa was self-destructing big time on the 18th (water, rough, layup, then almost into the bleachers), then Wie plays a horrible shot from the rough.

It looks like me playing out there.

OK, I take it back. Ochoa's choke was bigger. Chipping from the other side of the green for double bogie, and missing.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 06-26-05 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-26-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm interested in seeing the ratings from 3-4 compared to 4-6 pm.
Old 06-26-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Y2K Falcon

It looks like me playing out there.
This has definitely been an exhibition of some terrible golf for most everyone involved. It's shaping up to be a race to see who avoids collapsing.

das
Old 06-26-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ochoa was within 1 of the lead going into 18, then drops a snowman.

I'll tune in as long as Pressel is in contention. I'm just swapping tuners with the CWS game.

It would be funny if she wins, and there is a new record for youngest to win a major and it not being Wie.
Old 06-26-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have never found Kathy Irelend attractive...

I'm pondering Stupples shot. Why not play into the fairway? Her lie near the green looks horrible.

There haven't been a lot of fairways and greens hit lately, all over the course.
Old 06-26-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And now Annika just hit a small water hazard adjacent a green. I've never seen anything like this in a major tourney....men or women. Ochoa hitting the ground on a tee shot....Wei hitting it 10 yards out of the rough back into the rough.....on and on.

BUt yeah, there's a lot of hotties on tour these days....certainly makes it more enticing to watch
Old 06-26-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brizz
I've never seen anything like this in a major tourney....men or women. Ochoa hitting the ground on a tee shot....Wei hitting it 10 yards out of the rough back into the rough.....on and on.
And Pressel hitting it about 5 feet in the rough surrounding the green on the 10th.

Stupples with the same shot does a little better with the shot, blowing by the hole about a dozen feet.

EDIT: Nice recovery chip in from there for Pressel.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 06-26-05 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-26-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, I'd imagine 90% are straight....at least. Rosie Jones came out - not exactly a shocker. ANd there was an unsavory rumour about Karrie Webb and Kelly Robbins Shacking up after one of them broke up with a fiance. Who knows....more importantly, who cares....does it harm the eye candy factor any if every one is gay? Nope.
Old 06-26-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, wait. Pressel isn't young enough to set the record, just the Dookie? I guess that's what I get for only watching part of it.

The officials are sure busy lately.

No backswing for Birdie Kim from the course property boundary fence.

Lang seems to have left the headlights on at 18, and knocks it into the sand...

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 06-26-05 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-26-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

talk about falling apart
Old 06-26-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff

talk about falling apart
I believe that Wie has officially Danica'd it.

So, Birdie Kim changing her name after only 63 birdies all last year would be like me changing my name to "Slim"...
Old 06-26-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice sand shot for Kim on her final hole, forcing Pressel to try and make only the fifth birdie for the whole tournament on 18.
Old 06-26-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice job, NBC.

Announcer: "Congratulations, you have just won the US Amat.... errrrrr...."
Old 06-26-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brizz
Honestly, I'd imagine 90% are straight....at least. Rosie Jones came out - not exactly a shocker. ANd there was an unsavory rumour about Karrie Webb and Kelly Robbins Shacking up after one of them broke up with a fiance. Who knows....more importantly, who cares....does it harm the eye candy factor any if every one is gay? Nope.
To be clear I don't have a problem with some of them being gay (I'm sure its a minority of them as most have families), however, I'm just not a big fan of watching womens sports when most of the women either look like soccer moms or, to be completely crude, men. For most of the 80's and 90's this was the look of the LPGA golfers.

This new batch of young women that are taking over have a nice balance of being athletic and also being feminine. That being said this was some of the most horrible golf I've ever seen in a major tournament. I guess its the pressure of so many young women being contenders in a major. Birdie pulled it out, but she should really change her nickname to Bogey.
Old 06-27-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Morgan Pressel sure looked, errrrrr, a little emotional there at the end.

[obligatory]

[/obligatory]
Old 06-27-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You all are missing the biggest golf news of the weekend...

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2095041

Jean Van de Velde played like... welll... Jean Van de Velde. Not quite as bad as his infamous blow-up, but he took a one-shot lead to 18, bogeyed 18, then lost in a playoff. Ouch.
Old 06-27-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
You all are missing the biggest golf news of the weekend...

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2095041

Jean Van de Velde played like... welll... Jean Van de Velde. Not quite as bad as his infamous blow-up, but he took a one-shot lead to 18, bogeyed 18, then lost in a playoff. Ouch.
Not only that, but he lost in a playoff to a guy who carded a double-bogey.

In other news, I felt like a total pervert watching LPGA yesterday. I can't wait for the eye candy in 5 years when all these 17 and 18 year olds hit their prime.
Old 06-28-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The hottest golfer on the course that I saw was Britney Lang, who finished 3rd...and she is legal.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.