Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Phil Jackson rejoins Lakers!

Old 06-14-05, 01:48 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Sol Cal
Posts: 647
Phil Jackson rejoins Lakers!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2084948

Just announced on ESPN.com and press conference to follow at 2:00PM PST
Bose Pro is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 01:50 PM
  #2  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Guess after they got Kobe locked up long-term they had no need to let him act as GM anymore.
Josh H is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 01:51 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 30,510
Isn't there a Lakers thread around here?
devilshalo is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 01:52 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 8,617
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Isn't there a Lakers thread around here?
Someone should start one.
Aphex Twin is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 01:54 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Sol Cal
Posts: 647
Sorry guys...I just wanted to let the peeps that don't read the Lakers thread know...I mean, the Knicks fans may not read the Lakers thread but might want to know about Phil.
Bose Pro is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 03:02 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,766
Originally Posted by Bose Pro
Sorry guys...I just wanted to let the peeps that don't read the Lakers thread know...I mean, the Knicks fans may not read the Lakers thread but might want to know about Phil.

Exactly.I am a Knick fan and as such have never looked at the Laker thread,but am equally interested in the news that Jackson has made his choice.

So as opposed to trying to be a smart ass like others,i offer you my thanks for posting the thread.

Last edited by Maxflier; 06-14-05 at 03:05 PM.
Maxflier is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 04:02 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Aostin, TX, USA
Posts: 19,876
Knicks fans can read???
Y2K Falcon is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 04:16 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
Hmm, I guess we will see Phil's coaching ability tested next season. Of course with Jackson back they should be able to get any free agents they want.
darkside is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 04:18 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Riverside, California. USA
Posts: 1,554
Guess whose back, back again Phil is back, tell a friend. guess whose back guess whose back................................. Awesome news Laker fans!!
ILikeDVD is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 04:28 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Well this is a step in the right direction.
Jackskeleton is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 04:33 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Sol Cal
Posts: 647
Originally Posted by darkside
Hmm, I guess we will see Phil's coaching ability tested next season. Of course with Jackson back they should be able to get any free agents they want.
You know, I have never thought of it like that. I mean, I know there are players that would love to play under Jackson, but I never thought of him as a free agent magnet!

Hmmm...new term - Fragenet = Free Agent Magnet Nice...

Hmm...I want....Shaq.
Bose Pro is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 05:04 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk God
 
twikoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Right Behind You!!!
Posts: 79,497
just goes to show that everyone has a price
twikoff is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 05:15 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 934
Originally Posted by Bose Pro
You know, I have never thought of it like that. I mean, I know there are players that would love to play under Jackson, but I never thought of him as a free agent magnet!

Hmmm...new term - Fragenet = Free Agent Magnet Nice...

Hmm...I want....Shaq.
It won't matter who is going to want to play here next season, Lakers have no money! They are way above Salary cap and with Brian Grant sucking up, I believe 15 mil a year, Lakers are in deep doo-doo. No one is going to take the Lakers high proced players off their hands and they can't afford anyone. I think next season is going to be a struggle but the following season they should be able to start freeing up some room in that salary cap.
Cyberock is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 05:16 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 30,510
Originally Posted by Maxflier
Exactly.I am a Knick fan and as such have never looked at the Laker thread,but am equally interested in the news that Jackson has made his choice.

So as opposed to trying to be a smart ass like others,i offer you my thanks for posting the thread.
Then maybe it should belong in NBA Offseason News and Discussion.
devilshalo is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 05:20 PM
  #15  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Some news is big enough to warrant it's own thread, and Phil Jackson returning fits that bill IMO.
Josh H is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 05:28 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Posts: 14,599
Do you guys think Shaq will be next????



great News though
damn_skippy is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 05:32 PM
  #17  
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Originally Posted by Cyberock
It won't matter who is going to want to play here next season, Lakers have no money! They are way above Salary cap and with Brian Grant sucking up, I believe 15 mil a year, Lakers are in deep doo-doo. No one is going to take the Lakers high proced players off their hands and they can't afford anyone. I think next season is going to be a struggle but the following season they should be able to start freeing up some room in that salary cap.
I thought you were joking about Brian Grant, but I was wrong


















Los Angeles Lakers Salaries
Player 2004/05 2005/06 2006/07 2007/08 2008/09 2009/10 2010/11
Kobe Bryant $14,175,000 $15,946,875 $17,718,750 $19,490,625 $21,262,500 23,034,375 $24,806,250
Brian Grant $13,233,434 $14,458,438 $15,570,625 $0 $0 0 $0
Lamar Odom $10,465,000 $11,465,500 $12,489,000 $13,524,000 $14,559,000 0 0
Vlade Divac $4,900,000 $5,390,000 $0 $0 $0 0 $0
Devean George $4,500,000 $4,950,000 $0 $0 $0 0 $0
Chucky Atkins $4,200,000 $4,500,000 $0 $0 $0 0 $0
Chris Mihm $3,375,000 $3,796,875 $4,218,750 $0 $0 0 $0
Slava Medvedenko $3,000,000 $3,000,000 $0 $0 $0 0 $0
Caron Butler $1,920,560 $2,448,714 $3,335,148 $0 $0 0 $0
Jumaine Jones $1,687,500 $1,875,000 $0 $0 $0 0 $0
Sasha Vujacic $846,840 $910,440 $973,920 $1,756,951 $2,605,559 $0 $0
Brian Cook $809,300 $865,800 $1,514,284 $2,213,883 $0 $0 $0
Tierre Brown $720,046 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0
Luke Walton $620,046 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0
Tony Bobbitt $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0 $0
Totals $64,452,726 $64,217,642 $50,971,045 $33,014,625 $35,821,500 $23,034,375 $24,806,250




Source : 2002-2005 HOOPSHYPE

Chris
mrpayroll is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 05:34 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Sol Cal
Posts: 647
Chris:

Great find!

I heard that too...maybe we can trade him?
Bose Pro is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 05:38 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Aostin, TX, USA
Posts: 19,876
Has next year's parade been scheduled yet?
Y2K Falcon is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 05:49 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,819
You know, there are rumors that Phil taking the job is just a "formality" to get the team back in tip-top shape so that he can take over ownership of the team in a few years. Buss is going to step down soon, and I think Phil is going to be the guy to take over the team.
Deftones is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 05:51 PM
  #21  
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
We need to get rid of Brian Grant, Vlade Divac & Devean George. Slava is on the bubble, but only $3M. Caron Butler is a steal!

Chris
mrpayroll is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 05:52 PM
  #22  
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Originally Posted by Deftones
You know, there are rumors that Phil taking the job is just a "formality" to get the team back in tip-top shape so that he can take over ownership of the team in a few years. Buss is going to step down soon, and I think Phil is going to be the guy to take over the team.
That sounds like it could be reasonable, since Phil is dating Jeannie Buss, who is the President I believe.

Chris
mrpayroll is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 05:58 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,597
I agree. Phil has never coached a team that was not poised for greatness. This is the first team he will have to 'build' to win. No automatic champion contender here. Good for Laker fans, but I still think they will endure 5-6 years of 41-41 basketball...
Kerborus is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 06:12 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,044
Lovin this. A true test for Kobe and Phil. Now let's get a true big man and we'll contend. You know by Phil being the coach, someone big is coming our way
PJsig08 is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 06:15 PM
  #25  
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Originally Posted by PJsig08
Lovin this. A true test for Kobe and Phil. Now let's get a true big man and we'll contend. You know by Phil being the coach, someone big is coming our way
But it may not be until next year. Yao know what I'm saying?

Chris
mrpayroll is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.