Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Robert Horry -- Hall of Fame?

Old 06-14-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Robert Horry -- Hall of Fame?

Bill Simmons pointed out in his recent column that Robert Horry has probably been the third-best player in the NBA Finals, right after Ginobli and Duncan. He's headed for his sixth ring, and he's been an integral part of all six of those championships. He's hit more clutch shots in the playoffs that practically anyone else. He's fourth in the number of playoff games played, and second in playoff 3-pointers.

But can a guy get into the Hall of Fame based almost entirely on his postseason credentials? Can a guy with a regular season average of 7.5 PPG, 5 RBG make it in based just on raising his game when it matters most?
Old 06-14-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk God

i say no
no further elaboration
Old 06-14-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

no way
Old 06-14-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a chance in hell.
Old 06-14-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Robert Horry definitely had the talent to do it back in the day but he doesn't have the accomplishments to warrant anyone voting for him.
Old 06-14-05, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk God

oh yea.. i almost forgot the obligatory
SCREW BAMA!!!!!!!
Old 06-14-05, 10:28 AM

I think he is a very good player, and I'm glad he is on "my" team, but I definitely think he shouldn't be considered for this.
Old 06-14-05, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 06-14-05, 11:23 AM
Banned

Yes and by yes, I mean no.
Old 06-14-05, 12:06 PM
Retired

No, but I wouldn't be upset if he snuck in some how as he's hit about as many clutch shots in the post season of anyone not named Jordan or West.

But that's not enough with his overall numbers to get him in though.
Old 06-14-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Robert Horry has about as much of a chance to enter the basketball hall of fame as Pete Rose has to enter the basketball hall of fame...
Old 06-14-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

mojo, step away from the crack pipe. Horry is great, Big Shot Rob, but the simple fact that he is a clutch performer and a great role player doesn't change the fact that he is a role player, and not even REMOTELY close to deserving of HoF mention.
Old 06-14-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As a Laker fan, I'd love to see Horry in the hall of fame, but alas, he's not deserving.
Old 06-14-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HoFers don't go 0-for-every-shot-they-take-from-3-point-land in the playoffs like Horry did in his last season with L.A. Thanks for the shot to beat Sacramento, but I say no.
Old 06-14-05, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Love Robert, but I have to say no. He still has some work to do to get that sixth one by the way.

Hitting clutch threes and looking like Will Smith is just not enough to get into the Hall of Fame IMO.
Old 06-14-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
mojo, step away from the crack pipe. Horry is great, Big Shot Rob, but the simple fact that he is a clutch performer and a great role player doesn't change the fact that he is a role player, and not even REMOTELY close to deserving of HoF mention.
Hey, I am inclined to agree, but I think we need to ask the question. How many NBA players have 6 rings?

(Of course, that assumes the Spurs finish off the Pistons...)

When you look back on NBA history, how many players stand out on the big stage? Jordan, Bird, Magic, Shaq, Hakeem... they all hit big shots to win big games. Like it or not, when they talk about legendary shots, Robert Horry will always enter into the conversation. Why not acknowledge that in the Hall?
Old 06-14-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And in all of the situations he won his rings, he was never even the 3rd best player on the court.

And for what it's worth, I only remember one huge Robert Horry shot against Sacramento. And that only happened because he was too lazy to crash the boards and hung out on the perimeter waiting for a fluke. Sac was up 2 at the time.
Old 06-14-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NCMojo
When you look back on NBA history, how many players stand out on the big stage? Jordan, Bird, Magic, Shaq, Hakeem... they all hit big shots to win big games. Like it or not, when they talk about legendary shots, Robert Horry will always enter into the conversation. Why not acknowledge that in the Hall?
So why don't you start threads asking if Steve Kerr, Sean Elliot, Jon Paxson, and Derek Fisher should be in the HOF?
Old 06-14-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you just go by rings, then Jack Haley should be a HoFer too. I certainly think that maybe he's more deserving than Bill Walton. Of course, I hate Walton with a passion, so go figure.
Old 06-14-05, 01:57 PM

I think he will make it...not right away though. A lot will depend on when he retires and who he is going against. If he is eligable when not a lot of big names are on the ballet, he could make it. I'm not sure that the voters will overlook 5 (probably 6) rings in this day of free agency.
Old 06-14-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I love what Robert did when he was with the Lakers but no way in hell is this guy a HoF'er.
Old 06-14-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bose Pro
I think he will make it...not right away though. A lot will depend on when he retires and who he is going against. If he is eligable when not a lot of big names are on the ballet, he could make it. I'm not sure that the voters will overlook 5 (probably 6) rings in this day of free agency.
I keep looking for the joke, or the , but you seem to be serious.
Old 06-14-05, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk God

I think he's pretty clutch, as I remember some great shots he's made late, but come on. To even pose this questions is ridiculous.
Old 06-14-05, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
I keep looking for the joke, or the , but you seem to be serious.
I am serious...it doesn't mean I am right, but I am serious. I look at players like Worthy who easily made the HOF and think, "Why won't Horry barely make the HOF?" I'm not trying to compare Horry to Worthy in anyway besides HOF. I would take Worthy over Horry any day....but...in this crazy, often freaky, free-agent sport's world, I think someone who plays on 3 (assuming he wins with the Spurs this season) different teams and wins a championship - 6 total, is a key player in each championship, and is a starter or, at worst, a great 6th man, definately will get HOF consideration. Will he make it easily and on his first try? No, probably not...but he can barely make it...and, if he's in when people have warm, fuzzy memories of him sinking 3's with 1.2 or .85 seconds left, I think he'll make it.
Old 06-14-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bob Horry is a role player. He's very good at being a role player. Maybe not early in his career, but he grew into one. That's why he has all those championships and will continue to get a few more. You put him on a team like the Blazers or something and there's no way you even hear his name mentioned anywhere.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.