Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Robert Horry -- Hall of Fame?

Old 06-14-05, 02:37 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,353
Originally Posted by NCMojo
Hey, I am inclined to agree, but I think we need to ask the question. How many NBA players have 6 rings?

(Of course, that assumes the Spurs finish off the Pistons...)

When you look back on NBA history, how many players stand out on the big stage? Jordan, Bird, Magic, Shaq, Hakeem... they all hit big shots to win big games. Like it or not, when they talk about legendary shots, Robert Horry will always enter into the conversation. Why not acknowledge that in the Hall?
The difference between Horry and those players is that they all made AT LEAST ONE All-Star team in their career. Horry hasn't even been one of the best 24 players in the league any year he has been in the league.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 02:37 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Sol Cal
Posts: 647
Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Bob Horry is a role player. He's very good at being a role player. Maybe not early in his career, but he grew into one. That's why he has all those championships and will continue to get a few more. You put him on a team like the Blazers or something and there's no way you even hear his name mentioned anywhere.
That is an excellent point. He never carried a team - but neither did Worthy, Parrish, McCale, Pippen (not in HOF yet...), etc.
Bose Pro is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 02:38 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,353
Originally Posted by Bose Pro
I think he will make it...not right away though. A lot will depend on when he retires and who he is going against. If he is eligable when not a lot of big names are on the ballet, he could make it. I'm not sure that the voters will overlook 5 (probably 6) rings in this day of free agency.
I will make a bet with you and give you really good odds that this will never happen. Hell, I'll put up my house, both cars and everything else of value I own against your $50. Wanna do it.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 02:42 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 22,028
Originally Posted by Bose Pro
That is an excellent point. He never carried a team - but neither did Worthy, Parrish, McCale, Pippen (not in HOF yet...), etc.
As a Celtic fan, I can tell you that Parrish and McHale both definitely carried their teams. And also as a Celtic fan, I can tell you that Worthy did too.

To somehow claim that Horry is even in the same league as these guys is absurd.

Should John Salley make the HoF? Guy was a better player than Horry in his day (although admittedly he didn't hit the big shots Horry has), has a lot of rings. I think even Salley would say he doesn't belong, and neither does Horry.

I can't even believe we're having this discussion. Somehow, the fact that Horry has played with Hakeem and co., Shaq-Kobe and co., and Duncan and co., means he's a Hall of Famer?
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 02:43 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 22,028
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I will make a bet with you and give you really good odds that this will never happen. Hell, I'll put up my house, both cars and everything else of value I own against your $50. Wanna do it.
If you're willing to come up with another $50, I'll take this one too.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 02:54 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,891
Shit I'd take the $50 bet for your house and cars.
Deftones is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 02:56 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Sol Cal
Posts: 647
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
As a Celtic fan, I can tell you that Parrish and McHale both definitely carried their teams. And also as a Celtic fan, I can tell you that Worthy did too.

To somehow claim that Horry is even in the same league as these guys is absurd.

Should John Salley make the HoF? Guy was a better player than Horry in his day (although admittedly he didn't hit the big shots Horry has), has a lot of rings. I think even Salley would say he doesn't belong, and neither does Horry.

I can't even believe we're having this discussion. Somehow, the fact that Horry has played with Hakeem and co., Shaq-Kobe and co., and Duncan and co., means he's a Hall of Famer?
Well, hell, with that logic, I guess you think Pippen will never make the HOF? He played with Jordan...
Bose Pro is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 03:07 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,353
You honestly think that a player who at no time during his career was even in the top 50-75 players in the game will make the HOF? BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!1
cdollaz is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 03:15 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Bob Horry is a role player. He's very good at being a role player. Maybe not early in his career, but he grew into one. That's why he has all those championships and will continue to get a few more.
No, he has all those championships because of 5 guys:

Duncan
Shaq
Kobe
Drexler
Olajuwon

You put any average "role player" in his spot and the outcome of those NBA championships most likely don't change at all. But for this some think he belongs in the HoF?
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 03:16 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Originally Posted by LurkerDan
As a Celtic fan, I can tell you that Parrish and McHale both definitely carried their teams. And also as a Celtic fan, I can tell you that Worthy did too.

To somehow claim that Horry is even in the same league as these guys is absurd.

Should John Salley make the HoF? Guy was a better player than Horry in his day (although admittedly he didn't hit the big shots Horry has), has a lot of rings. I think even Salley would say he doesn't belong, and neither does Horry.

I can't even believe we're having this discussion. Somehow, the fact that Horry has played with Hakeem and co., Shaq-Kobe and co., and Duncan and co., means he's a Hall of Famer?
Horry didn't just play with Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe -- he was an integral part of their success. I don't think it's a coincidence that both Houston and LA went from the NBA Championship to the lottery after "Big Shot Rob" left their team.

(I don't think he was the main contributor of their decline -- although he was more important to Houston's success than people give him credit for.)
NCMojo is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 03:22 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Hero
 
El Scorcho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 39,628
Originally Posted by NCMojo
I don't think it's a coincidence that both Houston and LA went from the NBA Championship to the lottery after "Big Shot Rob" left their team.

Dude, what the fuck.

Houston:

1994: 58-24 (NBA Champs)
1995: 47-35 (NBA Champs)
1996: 48-34 (Lost in Conf. Semis)
1997: 57-25 (Lost in Conf. Finals) -- ROBERT HORRY IN LOS ANGELES
1998: 41-41 (Lost in 1st Rd.)

And when he left LA after the 2003 season.. they still made it to the finals in 2004.

And notice how Houston got 9 games better and got one round further in the playoffs when Horry left?

Sometimes it's apparent you have no facts to back up your claims and you post on here for the sake of arguing. This is one of those times.
El Scorcho is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 03:28 PM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Sol Cal
Posts: 647
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
Dude, what the fuck.

Houston:

1994: 58-24 (NBA Champs)
1995: 47-35 (NBA Champs)
1996: 48-34 (Lost in Conf. Semis)
1997: 57-25 (Lost in Conf. Finals) -- ROBERT HORRY IN LOS ANGELES
1998: 41-41 (Lost in 1st Rd.)

And when he left LA after the 2003 season.. they still made it to the finals in 2004.

And notice how Houston got 9 games better and got one round further in the playoffs when Horry left?

Sometimes it's apparent you have no facts to back up your claims and you post on here for the sake of arguing. This is one of those times.
No offense (w.out the cursing), you almost mute your own point...notice how much further the Rockets DID get with Horry. Heck, look at how much futher the Lakers DID get with Horry.

No team that has won a championship with Horry on it won the year after releasing Horry = FACT.

This is still not to say he's a sure-shot (for the HOF), it's just to give some points of the above statements.
Bose Pro is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 03:30 PM
  #38  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Sol Cal
Posts: 647
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
No, he has all those championships because of 5 guys:

Duncan
Shaq
Kobe
Drexler
Olajuwon

You put any average "role player" in his spot and the outcome of those NBA championships most likely don't change at all. But for this some think he belongs in the HoF?
I would agree that he has the rings b/c of these players...but, look at this fact: Only Duncan above has a ring without Horry! hmmm....
Bose Pro is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 03:33 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
Robert Horry is a great role player. I've been impressed by his defense more than his three pointers. He had huge steals so far in the Finals and really he has made critical steals, blocks and rebounds all year long.

That being said, great role players don't make the HOF. Just doesn't happen.
darkside is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 03:35 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,353
Once again, how can someone who has never even made an all-star team make the HOF? Laughable.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 03:37 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
Originally Posted by Bose Pro
I would agree that he has the rings b/c of these players...but, look at this fact: Only Duncan above has a ring without Horry! hmmm....
Duncan, Shaq and Hakeem would not win championships without great role players that pick them up in critcal situations. Look at how the Pistons have struggled without that solid bench they had last year. Honestly, David Robinson was a role player in 2003. So big shot Bob definitely fits the bill of one of the great role players of all time along with Steve Kerr, but that doesn't get you into the HOF.
darkside is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 03:41 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,353
Horry wasn't even the best role player on the Rockets champ. teams. Elie, Vernon Maxwell, Cassell, Kenny Smith, and Thorpe all contributed at least as much, if not more, than Horry.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 03:46 PM
  #43  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 15,108
Where's Blake when you need him.
MJKTool is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 03:50 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 8,617
Originally Posted by El Scorcho
No, he has all those championships because of 5 guys:

Duncan
Shaq
Kobe
Drexler
Olajuwon
Sorry, I didn't make my point clear. Only contending and championship teams would need someone like Robert Horry. He probably wouldn't get a chance on rebuilding or up-and-coming teams because they wouldn't need him. That's why he would be on many championship teams.
Aphex Twin is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 04:00 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Larryville, GA
Posts: 2,153
Horry had a chance to be the go to guy with the Phoenix Suns, and look what happened. He wasn't up to the task and it showed when he threw a towel in Danny Ainge's face. Only when he was back to being a role player with the Lakers did he find any success again.

Last edited by Cartload; 06-14-05 at 04:02 PM.
Cartload is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 04:19 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Legend
 
darkside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 19,847
Originally Posted by Cartload
Horry had a chance to be the go to guy with the Phoenix Suns, and look what happened. He wasn't up to the task and it showed when he threw a towel in Danny Ainge's face. Only when he was back to being a role player with the Lakers did he find any success again.
Yeah, I forgot about his Suns time. Ainge sucks though, I hardly know the guy and I want to through something at him.
darkside is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 04:37 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Posts: 54,199
Everyone looks to Shaq and him carrying a team to the playoffs but no one see's the real underdog of the lakers who took his team to the finals.

ok, I really couldn't say that with a straight face. He makes some nice shots in the clutch, but that alone shouldn't give him the go ahead to HoF.
Jackskeleton is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 04:44 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 22,028
Originally Posted by Bose Pro
Well, hell, with that logic, I guess you think Pippen will never make the HOF? He played with Jordan...
Huh? Do you realize how little sense you are making? I just made an argument that Worthy, Parrish, and McHale deserve their accolades, and they played with a couple of well known guys named Larry and Magic. So, where did I imply that Pippen didn't deserve it because off Jordan?

You cannot elect someone just because they won titles. Horry was a good role player who played with some great players on some great teams. His play does not merit even cursory hall of fame consideration, and to think otherwise is utterly absurd.

I nominate Steve Kerr, Mario Elie, and Danny AInge to the HoF. They were integral parts of their team success. I think we should have a new rule, any team that wins more than, say, 2 championships should get to put all their role players in the HoF, because they wouldn't have those titles without them.
LurkerDan is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 04:50 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,891
Danny Ainge can't be on your list. He doesn't have 6 rings.
Deftones is offline  
Old 06-14-05, 04:52 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,353
Originally Posted by Deftones
Danny Ainge can't be on your list. He doesn't have 6 rings.
No, but he has more than 2. Go back and re-read his post for clarification.
cdollaz is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.