Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

College Basketball Offseason thread

Old 06-13-05, 04:23 PM
Retired

College Basketball Offseason thread

I bumped the final four thread, with news on people withdrawing from the draft, but in hindsite it's probably better to just start an offseason thread.

To sum up the new posted by myself and B.A. there regarding withdrawals:

Kevin Pittsnogle is returing to WVU for his senior year. WVU will now return 4/5 starters from the Elite 8 team.

Eric Williams is returning to Wake Forrest

Dee Brown broke his foot at a pre-draft camp and will likely be returning to Illinois now.
Old 06-13-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still boycotting American Express. Still hoping Shav comes back to school. Still hoping some talented big guy in high school pulls out of the draft and committs to UNC.
Old 06-13-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Closer to home: Oklahoma's Lavender transfers to Xavier

June 9, 2005
By Jeff Goodman
Special to CBS SportsLine.com

Drew Lavender is basically headed home.

The diminutive point guard, who started 59 games over his two seasons at Oklahoma, will transfer to Xavier.

"They have a great program and it's closer to home for me," said the 5-foot-7 Lavender. "It's a family atmosphere and they are close-knit. I also like it academically."

Lavender, who attended Brookhaven High in Columbus, Ohio, averaged 9.7 points and 3.2 assists last season for Kelvin Sampson's program. He started all 31 games as a freshman.

"It just wasn't a good fit," Lavender said of the Sooners. "Maybe if I'd have stuck it out, it might have worked. But I decided to transfer because it was a little too far from home."

The drive from Columbus to Xavier is about 90 minutes.

Lavender, who will sit out next season, also considered Michigan, Seton Hall and West Virginia -- but his visit to Xavier on Thursday was the only one he took after deciding to leave Oklahoma.

Lavender is a former McDonald's All-American.
Old 06-13-05, 10:26 PM
Retired

Looks like Matt Walsh and Anthony Roberson from Florida are staying in the draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2084293
Old 06-14-05, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Morans.
Old 06-14-05, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like CJ Miles is also staying in the draft. He would have made Texas a great team.
Old 06-14-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn
Still boycotting American Express. Still hoping Shav comes back to school. Still hoping some talented big guy in high school pulls out of the draft and committs to UNC.
Next year is going to be pretty rough for us after 2004-05. We're really going to miss Felton, May and McCants, along with senior leadership from Jawad Williams and Jackie Manuel. I think our best bet is to pray that Quintin Thomas becomes possessed with the ghost of Phil Ford...

That being said -- I've been told we really can't bitch about 2005-06. Apparently there is some kind of five year "window" after your team wins a sports championship...

Old 06-14-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Chris Rodgers from Arizona pulled out of the draft too. Not that he had any shot to even make the radar of a team with a late 2nd round pick, but that hasn't stopped some people before. He'll probably compete with Jawann McClellan for the starting 2 spot.
Old 06-14-05, 12:53 PM
Retired

A lot of these guys like Rodgers and Pittsnogle mainly entered just to get their name out there, see how they stacked up at the camps, and have more scouts paying attention to them this year leading to the 2006 draft.

Of course Pittsnogle got a ton of publicity for his great play in the NCAA tourney, so he was probably hoping that would help his draft stock, but he still fell to probably late second round.
Old 06-15-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Torin Francis going back to Notre Dame . . .

I'm already Torin
Old 06-15-05, 02:28 PM

I'm not looking forward to next season as a Kentucky fan...unless our freshman class is unreal, we could be in some trouble. Who knows, maybe Tubby Smith can pull another season out of his ass
Old 06-15-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Still hoping Shav comes back to school.
As a Maryland fan so do I. Man he sucks.
Old 06-15-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NCMojo
That being said -- I've been told we really can't bitch about 2005-06. Apparently there is some kind of five year "window" after your team wins a sports championship...

I have no idea what to expect from this coming season. Three high school All-Americans coming in to play alongside guys like Terry, Noel and Thomas. I'm actually pretty excited about the prospects of them overachieving. If dook's '04-'05 season was considered overachieving, 18 wins from the Heels this season will be nothing short of miraculous.

I don't know about five years, but I'll have a tough time getting too upset next season.

I'm glad to see some talented players decide to return to the college ranks next season. Keep 'em coming.
Old 06-15-05, 11:10 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I found this funny.

One of the recruits from Matt Painter's first class at Purdue just got on campus and weighed in at 285. The problem is he's 6'3
Old 06-16-05, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrX
I found this funny.

One of the recruits from Matt Painter's first class at Purdue just got on campus and weighed in at 285. The problem is he's 6'3
Whoa, is he planning on also playing football as a nose tackle?

Just heard that Texas signed another blue chip, Kevin Durant. A 6'-9" forward.
Old 06-16-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tofu
Just heard that Texas signed another blue chip, Kevin Durant. A 6'-9" forward.
Very possible that he never makes it to school. Great pick-up for Barnes if he does however.
Old 06-21-05, 12:44 PM
Retired

Man, WVU is going to have a brutal schedule next year. The big east was already killer, now you have Louisville, Cincy Marquette etc. coming in and on top of that they're racking up some tough out of conference games.

West Virginia University men’s basketball team continues to add impressive non-conference opponents for the upcoming season.

The Mountaineers will battle the University of Oklahoma on Thursday, Dec. 22 in Oklahoma City as part of the O’Reilly All-College Basketball Classic. Oklahoma State will meet the University of Tennessee as part of a doubleheader. Both games will be televised nationally by ESPN2.

The Oklahoma City All Sports Association organizes the event, which is recognized as the world’s oldest basketball tournament. Last month O’Reilly Automotive inked a three-year deal to become the event’s new title sponsor. It was originated and sponsored for 21 years by the Oklahoma Publishing Company. In 1957, the All-College Classic became the annual project of the Oklahoma City All Sports Association.

The battle between WVU and Oklahoma will be the first-ever between the two schools in men’s basketball.

WVU is also scheduled to play at UCLA next January. West Virginia will also serve as one of four opening round sites for the annual Guardian Classic tournament in November.
Old 06-21-05, 01:14 PM
Retired

Some draft updates.

Dee Brown made his return to Illinois official.

Stanford's Chris Hernadez is returning.

McDonalds All american Andrew Bynum is staying the draft instead of going to UCONN even though he's not guaranteed a lottery spot.

Chris Paul worked out for the Hawks.

Diogu (ASU) worked out for Suns, probably staying in the draft.
Old 06-21-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kleiza picks NBA draft over return to Mizzou

Missouri’s Linas Kleiza closed the door on his college basketball career Tuesday, electing to leave his name on the selection list for the June 28 NBA draft.

Tuesday was the final day in which undergraduate players could withdraw from the selection process and elect to return to their respective college teams. But a source close to Kleiza confirmed Tuesday morning that Kleiza is “going to stay in the draft. He’s not coming back to Missouri.”

That decision is expected to be officially confirmed by Missouri and Kleiza early Tuesday afternoon.

On Monday, Kleiza seemed ready to take that step, kidding that “I talked to Milwaukee and they said they were going to take me with their first pick.”

Milwaukee, of course, has the overall first pick of the draft. And the Bucks are definitely not going to use it to pick Kleiza, a 6-foot-8 forward who is projected to be the 42nd overall pick by the Golden State Warriors on a mock draft by NBAdraft.net.

“I was just (messing) with you,” Kleiza said, laughing. “It was a joke.”

Also on Monday, Missouri coach Quin Snyder spoke as if he expected Kleiza not only to take part in the draft, but to be taken either late in the first round or early in the second round.

“He’s impressed them,” Snyder said, “meaning the NBA.

“This has been his dream. And really, everybody wins. The Tigers, Linas.”

Snyder said Kleiza has worked out for six teams in the last week.

“I worked out for about 10 teams,” Kleiza said of his overall outlook.

If Kleiza doesn’t wind up signing with an NBA team, he could end up in a European league, possibly in his native Lithuania or on an Italian team.
Old 06-21-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's official: Shav to stay in the draft

He'll never get drafted.

Anybody in the know re: Jarrett Jack?
Old 06-21-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Illini beat No. Carolina -- for Proviso E.'s Carlwell

June 21, 2005

BY MICHAEL O'BRIEN

Illinois' Proviso East pipeline is in place.

Four years ago, Dee Brown committed to the Illini during the high school team camp Illinois holds each June at Moody Bible Institute. Proviso East's Brian Carlwell followed Brown's example Monday.

"My visit last week was real good,'' said Carlwell, a 6-10 center who is considered a top-40 player in the national class of 2006. "I felt comfortable with the coaching staff, and I just wanted to get this thing over with.''

Carlwell chose the Illini over Michigan State, Florida State and North Carolina.

"Carlwell has really improved over the past year,'' said Roy Schmidt of Illinois Prep Bulls-Eye Report. "He was always a defensive force, but now he's developing into an offensive force, as well, and you are starting to see more of a mean streak.''

After Brown committed in 2001, Deron Williams and James Augustine quickly followed, giving Illinois the core of its Final Four team.

"That could happen again,'' Schmidt said. "Carlwell has said that he would try and get other players to follow him. I'm sure he'll be encouraging [Crane guard] Sherron Collins to follow his lead.''

Carlwell's commitment comes a month after Illinois lost Glenbrook North star Jon Scheyer to Duke. Carlwell and Richard Semrau, a 6-9 forward from Ohio who committed last month, give Illinois two top-100 recruits in the 2006 class.

The entire Big Ten signed only two top-100 players in this year's class.

"This is a tremendous get for Bruce Weber,'' Schmidt said. "Carlwell is hands down the top post player in the state. It proves that Illinois is quite capable of landing its targets. It's a great first step that could lay the foundation for an outstanding class.''

Copyright © The Sun-Times Company
Old 06-21-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I won't miss him - although I wonder how his career might have been if he went somewhere else and the coach didn't force him to play w/ his back to the basket.
Old 06-21-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Illinois gets G Meacham from Dayton

June 21, 2005
By Gregg Doyel
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

One day after learning Dee Brown would return for his senior season, Illinois picked up another college guard on Tuesday -- Trent Meacham is transferring from Dayton, a source close to Meacham told CBS SportsLine.com.

Meacham, who averaged 6.4 points and 2.7 assists in 17.9 minutes as a Dayton freshman, is a native of Champaign, Ill. The Illini didn't offer him a scholarship out of Centennial High School.
Old 06-22-05, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anybody in the know re: Jarrett Jack?
ESPN had a report that says that he's staying in.
Old 06-22-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rush withdraws from NBA Draft

By EDWARD G. ROBINSON III, STAFF WRITER

Brandon Rush, a standout high school basketball player at Mount Zion Christian Academy in Durham, has decided to withdraw his name from the upcoming 2005 NBA Draft.

Rush, 19, submitted his name for early consideration in May, but decided today to withdraw before the NBA’s final draft enrollment deadline at 5 p.m.

A native of Kansas City, Mo., who spent two seasons with Mount Zion, Rush said he pulled out because he didn’t want to take the chance of being selected in the second round.

The 2005 NBA Draft will be held on June 28 in New York. Since the 6-foot-6, 190-pound swingman had not signed with an agent he was able to withdraw from the draft and maintain his college eligibility.

Rush said he has college scholarship offers from Oklahoma and Illinois and has qualified academically for enrollment, although he has yet to make a decision.

© Copyright 2005, The News & Observer Publishing Company

There are rumors going around that he is seriously considering Illinois since Dee Brown will be returning to school to run the point.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.