Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

MLB Draft - 6/7

Old 06-07-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk God

MLB Draft - 6/7

not that it matters much.. the MLB draft is not as big of a deal, as other sports

since players get drafted left and right, and turn down the spot if they dont like it

and since the ones that do go, will probably sit in the minors for several years at least

and out of the ones that go to the minors.. only a very small percentage will ever make it to the majors

but regardless.... it starts today at 1pm est

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/draft2005/index
Old 06-07-05, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk God

oh yea.. and because there are 50 rounds
only about 20 of them will be done today though
Old 06-07-05, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff
oh yea.. and because there are 50 rounds
only about 20 of them will be done today though
If I get drafted, it probably wont be until tomorrow.
Old 06-07-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
Yeah, I got drafted on the 2nd day last year, but I made the mistake of being represented by Scott Boras. So here I am.
Old 06-07-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Yeah, I got drafted on the 2nd day last year, but I made the mistake of being represented by Scott Boras. So here I am.
Old 06-07-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

so
who wants to volunteer to post each pick as they come in?
Old 06-07-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk God

30 teams x 50 rounds = 1500 picks
so we dont need more than 1 or 2 paragraph summation of each player selected.. to keep it from going overboard

still no volunteers?
Old 06-07-05, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

30 teams x 50 rounds = 1500 picks
so we dont need more than 1 or 2 paragraph summation of each player selected.. to keep it from going overboard

still no volunteers?

No cut and paste jobs, either. I expect an original analysis.
Old 06-07-05, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk God

and to avoid it getting boring.. please include some humorous side commentary on each player
Old 06-07-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I expect an original analysis.
Aluminum bats suck.
Old 06-07-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doesn't matter much? Whatever you say.

It's not publicized like the NFL or NBA draft because college baseball isn't that publicized. Your typical baseball fan pretty much doesn't know who the hell is being drafted, unlike in the NBA and NFL. There are flaws within the draft that could be fixed also. But however, I look forward to the draft every year, and it matters a great deal.
Old 06-07-05, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Dbacks are going to draft Justin Upton. There were thoughts of drafting one of the top pitchers, but nearly all the top 5 pitchers are represented by Scott Borass. After the Drew fiasco, they'd rather have a positional player. Even though they have two SS in the system that will be major league ready (Drew and Sergio Santos), they are talking about moving Drew to the 2B position and this Upton kid might be the real deal for SS.
Old 06-07-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Third Baseman
Doesn't matter much? Whatever you say.

It's not publicized like the NFL or NBA draft because college baseball isn't that publicized. Your typical baseball fan pretty much doesn't know who the hell is being drafted, unlike in the NBA and NFL. There are flaws within the draft that could be fixed also. But however, I look forward to the draft every year, and it matters a great deal.
but youre in the extreme minority
most baseball fans dont pay any attention to the mlb draft

71% say they dont care, in the poll so far
and I think quite of a few from the other 29% are lying
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index

most drafted players never make it to the majors
and of the ones that do make it, alot of them are traded before they get called up.
Old 06-07-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Until the NBA and NFL drafts were made an "event", nobody cared about them either.

If you put the MLB draft on Saturday and gave it full coverage on ESPN, there'd be a whole bunch more people who cared about it.
Old 06-07-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
Until the NBA and NFL drafts were made an "event", nobody cared about them either.

If you put the MLB draft on Saturday and gave it full coverage on ESPN, there'd be a whole bunch more people who cared about it.
yea.. i think the numbers would go up slightly
but you're still talking about 1500 picks.. where only 5% or so will ever see time in the pros, and fewer than that will ever play for the team that drafts them.
Not to mention, so many players will turn down their selection, if they didnt feel they went high enough..

with the nba.. you know that the players you see drafted.. for the most part have a chance to play the next year.. and within a couple years, they will be the main focuses of the league..

nfl.. college football has a larger fanbase than other college sports, so more people are interested in seeing where everyone goes.. and you expect most players drafted, to actually play, so bringing some impact to a team. Not to mention that nfl player lifespan is pretty short, so there is alot of turnaround

with baseball.. its hard to say that with the exception of a few players.. many of the draft selections are going to impact a team much.. mlb stars play for 20 years, so there is not near as much shuffling based on new players brought in.
Old 06-07-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

most drafted players never make it to the majors
and of the ones that do make it, alot of them are traded before they get called up.
Well, for one, those are ESPN visitors

I think it's silly if you are a passionate fan of your team and you don't follow the draft, or the minor leagues. That's one of the reasons what makes baseball so much better than the NFL and NBA. The farm systems. The draft does mean alot. It often molds smaller market teams (Kearns and Dunn drafted in the same draft in 98 by the Reds; Felipe Lopez drafted in the 1st round by the Jays that year too; Ryan Wagner in 2003 drafted in the 1st round by the Reds) and it's very fun to watch each players progress. I take pride in pretty much being able to name everyone in the Reds system and how talented each are offline in a normal conversation (anyone can do it online). In a few years, the players drafted today will be the superstars you come to worship. Sure, not eveyone makes it to the majors; not every first rounder pans out - but that is what makes it so exciting. The draft does mean alot, even if that is not a popular statement by your everyday ESPN viewer.

Baseball has never been one for small minds or short attention spans.
Old 06-07-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Told ya to work harder on hitting a curve..........
Old 06-07-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BTW, live video coverage at MLB.com starting at 12:30

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ev...2005/index.jsp
Old 06-07-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm as diehard of a baseball fan as anybody and I couldn't give two shits about the MLB draft outside of the first handful of picks.

And maybe it's just me, but I got a ton of shit to do in my life that rank higher than combing through the Giants, Mariners, & Red Sox minor league system and learning about prospects.
Old 06-07-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

i didnt say i completely dont care
but really, i dont pay much attention to anything past the first couple rounds, braves selections, and players taken from auburn

because i dont follow hs or college baseball very closely.. so I dont really know squat about anyone taken anyways...
Old 06-07-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

As twikoff mentioned, the draft is much less appealing simply for the fact that the first round picks may never pan out. Sure, you have your Ken Griffey Jrs. and your Reggie Jacksons, but you also have your busts.
Old 06-07-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...1.html?cnn=yes

All time MLB Draft "busts" according to sports illustrated for your enjoyment.
Old 06-07-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is why most people don't find the draft that interesting:
Originally Posted by Peter Gammons
The best description of this draft is conflicted. "The best perspective is to look at your development program and hope that each year you get two good prospects out of the draft maybe three when you have a lot of picks as we do (six of the first 57) and two out of your international scouting every year", says Red Sox development and international scouting assistant GM Craig Shipley.
2 or 3 good prospects out of 50 drafted. That's not even 2 or 3 that will even make the majors... maybe AAA and will often get traded before coming up.

I know the Rangers have a good farm system right now. I know that our AAA team is currently in 1st. I even know some of the good prospects we've got down there waiting to come up. Honestly though, I don't care too much about the guys playing in A or AA cause I know I'll probably only see a handful ever make the team.

I check the draft to see the A&M pitchers who get drafted and the top 10, but other than that I don't really care. And I'd laugh at you if you didn't consider me a die-hard baseball fan.
Old 06-07-05, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Alan Embree's days may be numbered (moreso than they already were). Sox managed to snag Craig Hansen with their second pick (#26 in the 1st)........

Last edited by Jobronie; 06-07-05 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-07-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wabio
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...1.html?cnn=yes

All time MLB Draft "busts" according to sports illustrated for your enjoyment.
Ah David Clyde. Drafted June 5th, made his first start June 27th. Apparently the Rangers who finished '73 in 6th place (20 games out of 5th) decided that what they needed was a pitcher who would put butts in the seats, and he did giving the Rangers their very first sellout ever and he won his first start. He finished the year 4-8 and became an epic example of what happens when you don't bother cultivating your players.

More info about Clyde here:
http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/local/6093863.htm

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.