Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Robby Gordon = Cry Baby? Says Danica Patrick has unfair advantage in Indy 500...

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Robby Gordon = Cry Baby? Says Danica Patrick has unfair advantage in Indy 500...

Old 05-28-05, 11:22 PM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8018894/

LOL! OMG - I mean, sure, she definately has an advantage in weight, but I am also sure there are guys on that track that weight 135 while others push 200. Was there any complaints before????

There is sure a heck of a lot more to driving than having a bit faster car.
Old 05-28-05, 11:25 PM

Another Link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes
Old 05-28-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guarantee you that he isn't the only driver complaining; he is just one doing it publically. He's not even racing in the 500, though, so I don't see how you can really call him a cry baby. If it really is anywhere near a 1 MPH difference, I'd be upset too.

The obvious fix seems like it would be to raise the minimum weight requirement, and then make it equal to car + driver instead of just car.
Old 05-28-05, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
The obvious fix seems like it would be to raise the minimum weight requirement, and then make it equal to car + driver instead of just car.
Having a minumum weight limit for the driver is screaming law suit (if that's what you mean by the above statement). I understand that it's on other's minds as well, but come on? He bluntly says "I will not race against her until the field is equalized." What if one drivers is just plain better than another...that's unequal. If "anything", maybe they could set a minimum weight for the car WITH driver in it (like you are mentioning above - good idea). That way, lets say they set it at 1700lbs, Danika would have to increase the weight of the car to meet the requirement. But this would not prevent her from running.
Old 05-28-05, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The simple solution is what Nascar does. Set a driver weight at 200lbs. If the driver wieghs more then that they you add weights to the car. I don't think he's a cry baby he's just stating what I'm sure all of the drivers think.
Old 05-29-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seems petty, but there is probably some truth to the numbers. However, isn't she at a disadvantage in other ways because of her size. 500 miles, 3 hours, at those speeds and those g-forces, it has to take a toll on anyone's body. Would a well seasoned 30 years old have an advantage over a 20 years old rookie driver who weights 100 pounds?
Old 05-29-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bose Pro
Having a minumum weight limit for the driver is screaming law suit (if that's what you mean by the above statement).
That isn't what I meant. I meant that the weight of the car + the driver has to be above X pounds. If it less, you add weight to the car.

What if one drivers is just plain better than another...that's unequal.
Apples and oranges. They try to equalize the weight of all the cars so that the skill of the drivers and of the pit crews decide the race, not weight.

But this would not prevent her from running.
Robbie Gordon doesn't want her to be kept from racing. He just wants them to tweak the weight rules.
Old 05-29-05, 02:15 AM

Being a large fellow, did A.J. Foyt ever say that the other drivers should add weight to their cars to level the playing field while he was racing?

If Robbie Gordon's so concerned that his extra weight puts him at a disadvantage, maybe he ought to hit the treadmill.
Old 05-29-05, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only way Robbie Gordon hits Danica Patrick's weight is when he starts decomposing; a treadmill will do nothing.

They would only need to calculate an approximate average weight for drivers. I don't think the heavier drivers would have a problem with that.
Old 05-29-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Micheal Waltrip complained to Nascar several years ago and got the rule changed. If you want racing to go to way of horse racing when they only try to hire small drivers then fine.

It wouldn't even be an issue if Gordon was complaining about a 135lbs man but since it's a woman it's made into a big deal and he's a cry baby.
Old 05-29-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber
It wouldn't even be an issue if Gordon was complaining about a 135lbs man but since it's a woman it's made into a big deal and he's a cry baby.
Exactly. Gordon has said the same in the past about guys like Castroneves, and it's never made SI.com or SportsCenter
Old 05-29-05, 02:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
The only way Robbie Gordon hits Danica Patrick's weight is when he starts decomposing; a treadmill will do nothing.

They would only need to calculate an approximate average weight for drivers. I don't think the heavier drivers would have a problem with that.
The other male drivers are stronger than her. They also have an advantage.

Weight limit? Avg weight limit? Sounds like bullshit whining.
Old 05-29-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe more weight would have helped her push the clutch in that last pit stop.
Old 05-29-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gallant Pig

The other male drivers are stronger than her. They also have an advantage.
And they're men, so they know how to drive. It all evens out in the end.

das
Old 05-29-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Weight limit? Avg weight limit? Sounds like bullshit whining.
There already is a weight limit in IRL. The cars have to weight at least 1,525 pounds before fuel and driver are added. Clearly they don't think that a weight limit is bullshit. Also, other racing circuits already include driver weight in their weight limit.

But das is right...
Old 05-29-05, 07:37 PM
Mod Emeritus

I can see a lbs weight limit before fuel & driver, that follows with the type of legal engines & legal equipment. A golf ball can't weigh over a certain amount in golf for example. But when you start talking about physical weight limits on people I think it's a slippery slope, in that scenario a large man would be rewarded with driving a lighter car than someone else. In horse racing you don't see Andre the Giant type guys riding horses for a reason.
Old 05-29-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But a large man driving a lighter car has no baring on the total weight. Every car weighs the same more or less. What's wrong with adding weight under the seat of a smaller driver to get up to an average weight of say 200lbs? It's not unreasonable for them to say that the average weight of a driver is 200lbs and work everything else out accourdingly. It's only an issue because they make the cars all the same.
Old 05-29-05, 10:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

I still see it as punishing a smaller driver. Let's take person A & person B. Both are in exceptionally good condition, person A is 5 feet tall and average build, person B is 6 feet tall and average build. Person B weighs 200 pounds, he's pure muscle. Person A is 110 pounds, also pure muscle. Person B is quite a bit stronger than Person A due to size & mass alone. Now the cars have to weigh exactly the same with the driver in it. Person A has to add 100 pounds of weight to the car than person B. He is weaker than person B and now has no advantage at all. Before he had a slightly lighter car but he was also not as strong.

But if you guys are going to say that strength has nothing to do with racing, and gives no advantage to the racer, then I think we have solved the debate of whether racing is a sport or not, it clearly isn't. However if strength is an advantage you are giving the stronger heavier racer a bigger advantage over the smaller lighter racer.

In golf the ball has to weigh a certain amount and you can hit it hard and it goes. To me it would be like giving the players who are strong and hit the ball far a weaker ball because they have a distinct physical advantage over the field.
Old 05-30-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd like to take this thread somewhere else with some pics....