DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Sports Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk-31/)
-   -   Wrestling thread -- TNA may have a new home! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/sports-talk/424488-wrestling-thread-tna-may-have-new-home.html)

POWERBOMB 05-28-05 01:16 AM

Wrestling thread -- TNA may have a new home!

So for the few that have followed TNA wrestling comes the news that it may be moving channels from Fox Sports Net to WGN. It will be a 2 hour program, live one week and taped the next week. It will compete the against the first hour of Raw.

IMO TNA is everything WCW wanted to be but couldn't because of the AOL/Time Warner head honchos. It will be more adventurous than Raw currently can be. The wrestlers especially in the X division are pretty awesome to see and their PPV are more than worth than money.

Of course they haven't announced the WGN deal yet but it should come shortly. I still think a move to Spike TV is possible if the WGN deal is for a short time. It is rumored to start after the next TNA PPV which is Slammiversary June 19th. And Matt Hardy is expected to be a hugh part of that show.

darkside 05-28-05 11:23 AM

I finally started watching this show and its good. It reminds me a lot of the WCW, but in a good way. :) I actually liked the WCW product up until the last few years when it went south. I've all but given up on the WWE so hopefully this show can have some success.

edytwinky 05-28-05 12:54 PM

I'm not a TNA fan right now but would love to see them get a good primetime spot to create some decent competition for WWE.

Third Baseman 05-28-05 01:57 PM

We (I + a group of guys) ordered the last TNA PPV and it was easily better than anything the WWE has put out in a long time, and we don't even keep up with TNA. I stopped watching Raw and Smackdown alltogether (although, we got tickets to a Raw House Show June 3rd) and it would rock if TNA got more exposure on a bigger network.

GuessWho 05-28-05 03:20 PM

Since WGN here in Chicago is our WB station, looks like TNA would be pre-empted here for 7th Heaven, etc

clemente 05-29-05 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Since WGN here in Chicago is our WB station, looks like TNA would be pre-empted here for 7th Heaven, etc

This is more likely something that is slated for the WGN Superstation (think TBS). Aside from the sports programming, there isn't much of a crossover between the local WGN and Superstation WGN programming.

POWERBOMB 05-30-05 01:42 AM

I'm hoping for the same thing. I think TNA would be seen as a product on the rise rather than what the WWE is turning into now. It seems deep down they wanted that Spike TV spot but luck being what it is and all.

Third Baseman 05-31-05 12:41 PM

As of now, please take the following only as a rumor:

According to the Wrestling 365 Newsletter, the newly signed deal between NWA-TNA and WGN might have fallen through.

The deal was supposed to be officially announced to the public tomorrow but according to reports, Dixie Carter has done something that prevented the contract from being signed. There is still a strong possibility that deal will be signed and announced soon, but word making the rounds is that the deal is off.

TNA has not informed any of its talent about the WGN deal being off. The good news is that TNA left Fox Sports Net on good terms and may be able to resign with the network.

Hopefully this matter will be resolved within the next day or two, but as it stands TNA has no TV outlet aside from pay-per-view.

We’re ardently looking for further confirmation on this news. Stay tuned.

:(

fujishig 05-31-05 02:13 PM

While I enjoy TNA, I do have two complaints about them:
1. They buy big names for short times, then put them in the top fueds, but they then disappear for long periods of time, probably because they are so expensive. I'm glad Styles won the belt, but weren't DDP and Nash in the title picture just a month or so ago, and where are they now? It's pretty much a guarantee that any big released WWE talent (like Matt Hardy) will leap over everyone else to become number one contenders...
2. Sometimes they're so obsessed with doing the big spots that you can see them waiting to do the choreaographed moves. Maybe it's just the people not used to the style, but I remember watching one match with Shocker where he was perched on the turnbuckle, and he waited like 20 seconds for his opponent to come up there to perform whatever high risk move was coming next. I realize wrestling is fake, but geez. They do have some sick spots, though, especially in PPVs.

I hope they work out some kind of deal, since I do enjoy their program, though I don't enjoy wrestling quite as much these days to order PPVs.

Mad Dawg 05-31-05 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Third Baseman
The deal was supposed to be officially announced to the public tomorrow but according to reports, Dixie Carter has done something that prevented the contract from being signed.

Dixie Carter? The Dixie Cater? Whatever she did, I'll bet it was long-winded and annoying, followed by loud Laugh Track applause.

POWERBOMB 05-31-05 08:18 PM

Like I said in my first post, I think they really wanted Spike TV rather than WGN since WGN isn't in the New York market and some other cities. I think they sign some big names because they need some cred. Most of those guys, like Nash and DDP, had injuries that limited their in-ring action. When their bodies couldn't hold up, TNA let them go. Nash has said in interviews promoting the "Longest Yard" that he had a great time in TNA and may someday go back. I think DDP was let go because he didn't go along with the clean jobs he was asked to do.

As for Dixie Carter, I am wondering the same thing. I have heard the wrestlers are fond of her as boss and think she will do what's best for TNA.

Charlie Goose 06-01-05 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Dixie Carter? The Dixie Cater? Whatever she did, I'll bet it was long-winded and annoying, followed by loud Laugh Track applause.

It's not the Designing Women Dixie Carter.

When TNA was on in Fox Sports, I seldom watched it because I usually forgot they were on. That's the curse of a Friday 3 pm slot. Then the network got into an argument with Time Warner, and was taken off my cable for several weeks. I hope TNA gets a national show, with a decent time slot.

fujishig 06-01-05 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
It's not the Designing Women Dixie Carter.

When TNA was on in Fox Sports, I seldom watched it because I usually forgot they were on. That's the curse of a Friday 3 pm slot.

That's what Tivo is for! (without it, no way in the world would I be able to watch the TNA show)

On a side note, I saw they had Zach Gowen...

Phineas444 06-01-05 11:40 PM

Let's not forget WGN has Cubs/Sox games scheduled throughout the season on Monday's every now and then. If you can imagine how many Cubs fans would be pissed to see Jarrett over the Cubs you'll understand the problem.