Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

WWE Raw Preview 5/23/05: Batista vs. Edge

Old 05-23-05, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

WWE Raw Preview 5/23/05: Batista vs. Edge

Just one week after winning the Gold Rush Tournament, the new official No. 1 Contender, Edge, will get his opporunity at the World Heavyweight Championship.

Last week, Edge earned more money in the bank by beating Kane in the finals of the Gold Rush Tournament, but it took a shocking betrayal from Kane’s wife Lita to get the win. Now, Batista will have to try to focus on a competitor hell-bent on winning the World Heavyweight Championship, while keeping an eye on Edge's cunning companion Lita. Batista must also look out for Edge’s prized briefcase, which has now been used to knock off — literally — the likes of Shawn Michaels and the Big Red Monster.

Tonight's encounter will be the first time Edge and Batista will be opponents since the Elimination Chamber Match at New Year’s Revolution, where they each had four other combatants to face simultaneously in the frenzied environment. This week on RAW will be a very different scene; Batista and Edge will be able to prepare solely for each other and craft a strategy designed to leave Green Bay, Wisc., victorious.

For the past few weeks, RAW General Manager Eric Bischoff has said that he was the one who killed ECW. Tonight on RAW, Bischoff intends on killing it yet again — this time with an ECW funeral. Tune in tonight to see exactly what Bischoff has planned.

In a RAW rematch, Chris Jericho & Shelton Benjamin get another crack at Muhammad Hassan & Daivari. After what transpired last time, can Y2J get the result he’s looking for?

It was in Chris Masters’ RAW debut that he broke Steven Richards’ nose and the orbital bone around his eye, putting him out of action for several months. While it was an impressive victory for the newcomer known as “The Masterpiece,” it was a loss and beating Richards would not forget. Tonight on RAW, Steven gets his chance at revenge in a long-awaited rematch.

And sexy RAW Diva Maria will interview the 485-pound Viscera. What does Big Vis have to say after his advances toward Lilian during the Lingerie Pillow Fight last week?

All this and much more on Monday Night RAW at 9/8 CT only on Spike TV.
Old 05-23-05, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So the WWE are taking advantage and put Edge and Lita together. Will this make Trish a face again?
Old 05-24-05, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was a red letter show for the WWE. Lita's distasteful interview, An ECW funeral on the anniversary of Owen Hart's death, more sexual assult for Big Vis, and dumbass Batista falling for Flair's lies again. At least the 15 minutes of fables from McMahon, Bischoff, & Heyman was entertaining. And I sure did miss HHH too.
Old 05-24-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Was I seeing things, or did Viscera prison rape Coach, live on national tv?

So now all the ladies think Vis is a cutie?

Why bring back Stevie just to get squashed(again) by the no-talent Masters? Will Stevie and Victoria get back together? It's not like she has anything else to do.

And how is the Lita turn supposed to make sense? She's turned on the guy that raped her, forced her to marry him, and terrorized her ex-boyfriend? And she's the bad guy?

Why is HHH on the screen?

Vince hinted that ECW will be back on TV, which is nice. Didn't need 20 minutes of TV time to tell me though.

D
Old 05-24-05, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is my take on RAW

Big Vis is hilarious.....

It was surreal to see the 3 owners of the WCW, ECW, AND WWE in one ring. It was terrific and paul heyman can cut a promo like no other.

I see potential in Chris masters but as a bouncer at a club.

Shelton showed some charisma but then drew a flat later on.

Is it me or is Lillian hot?

All in all, ok show with a no surprise by HHH and Ric Flair.
Old 05-24-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do you want to know when I knew that Trips would make an appearance during the show? It's when J.R. and Lawler mentioned that last weeks' (Trips H free) Raw was the highest rated of the year.

I missed the Vis interview which sucked because I think Maria is muy caliente as is Lillian Garcia.

I think the Jerhico heel turn is slow in coming. It would have been better for him to turn on Benjermin during or after the tag match. We all see them feuding soon as it isn't gonna be as exciting if Jerhico's heel turn is solely based on himself becoming a pre-madonna(sp?).

IMO, a better ending to the main event would have been Flair making the save, Edge and Lita in a stare down with Batista until they realize that Christian has run off with the briefcase. A brief chase ensues and as Christian escapes in a car Edge turns around and there is Kane. Kane totally squashes Edge and the end of the show is Edge unconscious and Kane walking away screaming Lita's name. (This would have set up next weeks Raw where Edge calls out Christian and the two are in a match with Kane and Flair's turn on Batista with Trips is after a non-title match Batista has with Tomko.)
Old 05-24-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The show lacked Christian air time. He didn't get much.

Nice to see Trips back though.
Old 05-24-05, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Viscera is hilarious. His new move is to just hump people who annoy him.

Was cool to see 3 "leaders" of wrestling in the ring. Would be interesting if ECW had a part in the draft, especially with McMahon saying it could be a "resurrection".

I assume Maria is now forcing the "dumb" persona more, I think before it was the natural way she presented herself. I enjoyed a couple weeks ago when she was interviewing Sean Michaels and called his opponent "The Edge" and Michaels just made this weird face and almost broke out laughing.

Lilian is definitely hot. How long has she been announcing? Seems like its been a while.

Last edited by BlackCapTen; 05-24-05 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-24-05, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BlackCapTen
I assume Maria is now forcing the "dumb" persona more, I think before it was the natural way she presented herself. I enjoyed a couple weeks ago when she was interviewing Sean Michaels and called his opponent "The Edge" and Michaels just made this weird face and almost broke out laughing.
I really don't think she's in on it and the writers have decided to see how far they can push her. Big name talent writes thier own lines, but a "talent" like Maria gets it all spelled out for her.
Old 05-24-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got no complaints. Maria is still pretty hot!
Old 05-24-05, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NORML54601
I really don't think she's in on it and the writers have decided to see how far they can push her. Big name talent writes thier own lines, but a "talent" like Maria gets it all spelled out for her.
Yes, definitely. The good thing is she's probably naturally spacy. But hot, of course.
Old 05-25-05, 12:27 AM

All I know is I'm glad I record these shows and watch them the next morning, with my thumb secured to the Fast Forward button...

Lita/Edge opening... IMO, fantastic... They're pushing the "cheating" issue hard with them and I think it's great. We all know what they're really saying, and the only thing that would make it better is if Matt was still around to get thrown in a Hell in the Cell w/Edge and go apeshit.

FF... Bullshit... FF... Bullshit... FF... Bullshit...

I am so beyond annoyed with Muhammad Hassan & Daivari. The characters blow, their story is one-demensional and already played out. Send them back to OVW for repackaging...

Speeking of a character/storyline starting off, and continuing, with as much spark as a wet match... Enter, Chris Masters... Who fucking cares? He's a big body builder with a couple thousand bucks in his pocket and as much carisma as a used condom... Rick Rude is rolling over in his fucking grave at this dead-pan ass. But at least he's getting Stevie Richards back on TV in time for the ECW PPV...

FF... Blah, blah, blah... FF...

Chris Jericho vs. Sylvain Grenier??? Talk about the type of match that makes you say, "What the fuck is the point?" And I'm a Jericho fan... He's by far one of the the best talents the company has. In ring, on mic, and outside marketability (Fozzy, XM, etc.) So why is he running in circles around the mid-card?!?!?!? Booking needs to remove their heads from Mr. Helmsley's ass...

FF a little more...

HIGHLIGHT OF THE NIGHT BY FAR!
McMAHON - BISCHOFF - HEYMAN in the same ring...
Well okay, I'm just a complete mark for hearing Paul E. talk shit on the mic. Especially when the topic surrounds ECW. I don't know how I'm gonna like the PPV and there's a whole other thread devoted to it, so I'll finish this thought with... Prove my thoughts wrong, and put on a classic ECW show.

Benoit vs. Tajiri... Not bad at all, kept my attention for the whole match. Didn't really care for the in ring ending, but I'll take it.

Main Event... Batista really needs to be aloud to develop his personality more. It'll put more feeling into his matches. Right now I don't really give a shit about him enough to care if he wins or not... But Triple H is back so, Batista will have to wait for TV time again.

Oh and how could I forget Sexual Chocolate: Part Deux? Big Vis and the ladies... What's this going to lead to? I could see the Trish thing, because they could line her up with a wrestler and they could give us some matches... But Lilian and Maria... How does this pay off? More importantly does anyone really care???

So I just summed up two hours with a whole lot of negativity... Why do I even bother continuing watching most of you might ask... My answer is this... Because I want, so bad, to once again enjoy this product. I've been a wrestling fan since I learned how to turn on a TV set. And for decades, enjoyed the product that they've put out... Up until recently. The last couple years have seemed like a horrible slump. I just hope someday they'll be able to produce the quality the once did, at the moment there seems to be more signs of that on SmackDown in my opinion then RAW.

Sorry for the long ass rant, but sometimes you just have to vent this shit.
Old 05-27-05, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Viscera is becoming one of the highlights of the show
And seeing week after week Chris Jericho wrestling MID-CARDERS makes me want to puke on my shoes...
Fucking sad.
And seeing the Big 3 in the ring at the same time...unbelieveable.
Old 05-28-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I wasn't as impressed with the three in the ring segment because only one of them has any real power and is the boss. Had this encounter happened when all three were in charge of their product then it would have been amazing. Heyman's best promo's are when he is tearing into a former competitor and although his speech on Raw was good, it was nothing compared to the heartfelt emotional outporing he had a few years back during the WCW/ECW invasion angle against McMahon.
Old 05-28-05, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sorry but the Viscera stuff is just annoying.
Old 05-28-05, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by POWERBOMB
it was nothing compared to the heartfelt emotional outporing he had a few years back during the WCW/ECW invasion angle against McMahon.
That was pure, raw emotion, great stuff... I still have that tape somewhere in the archives (aka Big Ass Box of VHS).