Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

College Football Offseason Thread

Old 05-16-05, 12:48 PM
Retired

College Football Offseason Thread

Start the damn games already!

Looks like West Virginia and Marshall are finally going to start playing again in 2006. Their had been a ton of tension between the schools since Marshall backed out of the final 2 games of a 3 game contract after playing the first game (and losing) in 1997. Pruett retiring and Marshall probably helped get the deal done. He has pretty absurd demands in terms of money etc.

Sounds like the new deal will be 2 at WVU 1 at Marshall from what I've heard rumored (old deal was all 3 at WVU). But details aren't known yet.

WVU, Marshall to Meet in Football

staff
Morgantown

MetroNews has confirmed a published from earlier today that WVU and Marshall have come to terms on a contract for a football series.

Details of the deal are not yet known.

Gov. Joe Manchin will officially announce the deal during a 10:30 a.m. news conference at the State Capitol tomorrow.

The series is expected to begin during the 2006 season. Recently passed legislation has allowed Division I college football teams to expand their schedules to 12 games.

It will be the first time since 1997 and just the second time since 1923 that the two schools have met in football. The 1997 game was a thrilling 42-31 shootout won by the Mountaineers in the season opener for both teams.
Old 05-16-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

They should have just had Marshall join the Big East instead of S.Florida.
Old 05-16-05, 01:05 PM
Retired

I agree whole-heartedly on that one.

Only reason I see for S. Florida is keeping a conference presence in Florida for recruiting purposes.

Stadium size may be a factor too, but I have no idea how many people S. Florida's holds. Marshall's is kind of small for a BCS conference team, somewhere in the 40,000's.
Old 05-16-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why not both? Hell they invited every other team. What difference does one extra make?
Old 05-16-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I agree whole-heartedly on that one.

Only reason I see for S. Florida is keeping a conference presence in Florida for recruiting purposes.

Stadium size may be a factor too, but I have no idea how many people S. Florida's holds. Marshall's is kind of small for a BCS conference team, somewhere in the 40,000's.

That's more than what BC's stadium holds, isn't it?
Old 05-16-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

S. Florida shares a stadium with the Tampa Bay Bucanneers. I don't know if it's the same capacity, or if they tarp off sections a la MLS.
Old 05-16-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
BC's stadium holds 45,000, but there's no actual seats (it's all bleachers), and they could easily sqeeze in 5,000 more bodies into the stands.
Old 05-16-05, 01:15 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Not sure on that one either. But like I said, stadium size was just a possible factor I came up with so I could be dead wrong.

I'm sure WVU didn't want them in the conference though, they've always been opposed to a alternating yearly series, as they'd rather have in Morgantown, where they can make a killing selling 60,000 plus tickets.
Old 05-16-05, 01:16 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
BC's stadium holds 45,000, but there's no actual seats (it's all bleachers), and they could easily sqeeze in 5,000 more bodies into the stands.
Yeah, WVU's is the same way (new box seat suites aside). 63,000 or so listed attendance, but they squeeze more in for big games. A little over 70,000 for Miami in 1993 is the record.
Old 05-16-05, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

S. Florida shares a stadium with the Tampa Bay Bucanneers. I don't know if it's the same capacity, or if they tarp off sections a la MLS.
I do not believe they do, so the capacity would be 65,657.
Old 05-17-05, 02:06 PM
Retired

Here's the details of the WVU-Marshall series.

The schedule of the series will be as follows:
September 6, 2006 in Morgantown
September 8, 2007 in Huntington
September 13, 2008 in Morgantown
October 3, 2009 site to be determined by most wins in the first three games
September 11, 2010 in Huntington
September 3, 2011 in Morgantown
September 1, 2012 in Morgantown
I like it, especially the site of the 4th game being determined by who wins the first 3 games.

WVU at worst will have 4 games in motown and 3 in Huntington, and possibly 5-2.

Pretty fair given Marshall already backed out of one deal a few years back, and that WVU is in the BCS conference and has a stadium that seats roughly 20,000 more people.
Old 05-17-05, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

No talk of the news of Temple jumping to the MAC in football yet? Shocking.
Old 05-17-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Pretty fair given Marshall already backed out of one deal a few years back, and that WVU is in the BCS conference and has a stadium that seats roughly 20,000 more people.

at your idea of 'fair.'
Old 05-17-05, 02:26 PM
Retired

Hey, they're a mid major. This was a fair compromise, the past few weeks WVU's AD had been saying nothing but at least a 3 for 1, and Marshall's nothing but a 2 for 1.

So this is a fair compromise. WVU can prove they deserve more home games by winning and making it 5-2. Marshall can prove they deserve more by winning and making it 4-3 (which is better than two 2-1 deals).

You don't come up from I-AA for a few years, do extremely well in a mid-major and expect a level field with the big boys.

Plus, they deserved no good treatment at all after backing out of the last 2 games of the prior 3 game deal.
Old 05-17-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Hey, they're a mid major.

You don't come up from I-AA for a few years, do extremely well in a mid-major and expect a level field with the big boys.

Shouldn't matter. Outside of the ludicrous post-season 'structure', the biggest beef I have with college football (and college hoops to lesser extent): money drives the scheduling. At least with college hoops, you get some leveling with early season neutral site matchups.

Oh and at WVU and the Big East being considered a 'big boy.'
Old 05-17-05, 02:37 PM
Retired

I mean just more in WVU. Marshall is the little brother there. It's in a crappy city in a crappy part of the state and is a crappy academic institution. WVU is in a nicer town, in really the only nice part of the state and is a much better academic school (not great, but pretty good, and very good in some disciplines).

Sports wise, Marshall has only been D-1 for a decade or so, where as WVU has been playing big time D-1 football since inception. So they're certainly the Big Boy in this sense.

And the new Big East is still much better than the new Conference USA. Marshall would have been better served staying in the MAC. It's a better conference with them, than the new C-USA.
Old 05-17-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk God

I mean just more in WVU. Marshall is the little brother there. It's in a crappy city in a crappy part of the state and is a crappy academic institution. WVU is in a nicer town, in really the only nice part of the state and is a much better academic school (not great, but pretty good, and very good in some disciplines).

Sports wise, Marshall has only been D-1 for a decade or so, where as WVU has been playing big time D-1 football since inception. So they're certainly the Big Boy in this sense.

And the new Big East is still much better than the new Conference USA. Marshall would have been better served staying in the MAC. It's a better conference with them, than the new C-USA.

All irrelavent considerations IMO. It is still money and past status driving scheduling and I don't associate these concepts with the word 'fair.' I've said it before - how are mid-majors (in both football and basketball) supposed to 'climb the ladder' with the deck perpetually stacked against them?
Old 05-17-05, 02:47 PM
Retired

And as I've said before, I could care less if they climb the ladder or not.

Prove themselves on the road against the major teams, or drop down a division.

It is money and status based, and that's the way it should be IMO. WVU takes 1 for 2 deals to play teams like Notre Dame and gives out 2 for 1's or worse for mid-majors.

I have no problem with either. 1 for 2's against big boys give WVU a chance to gain status, and they have no obligation to help mid majors climb the ladder. THey have to do what's best for them, just like I do what's best for me everyday.

So in my view the deal was more than fair, and I'd have prefered WVU stick to their 3-1 demand. But I want to see the games and it's kind of cool that on field play helps determine the "fairness" of the deal.
Old 05-17-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk God

And as I've said before, I could care less if they climb the ladder or not.

Prove themselves on the road against the major teams, or drop down a division.

It is money and status based, and that's the way it should be IMO. WVU takes 1 for 2 deals to play teams like Notre Dame and gives out 2 for 1's or worse for mid-majors.

I have no problem with either. 1 for 2's against big boys give WVU a chance to gain status, and they have no obligation to help mid majors climb the ladder. THey have to do what's best for them, just like I do what's best for me everyday.

So in my view the deal was more than fair, and I'd have prefered WVU stick to their 3-1 demand. But I want to see the games and it's kind of cool that on field play helps determine the "fairness" of the deal.

Yes, I'm quite aware of your position on mid-majors in football and basketball.

Now the deal is "more than fair?" Sheesh. I don't have a problem with a WVU fan liking the arrangement. Heck, they have the advantage so why not. Calling it 'more than fair' is where the problem lies.
Old 05-17-05, 03:16 PM
Retired

It's more than fair in the sense that it's better than most mid major schools get, especially if it ends up 4-3.

It's not fair in an equalitarian sense. But there's no equality in college sports.
Old 05-17-05, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still don't understand why Marshall was so quick to jump from the MAC to C-USA.
Old 05-17-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
I do not believe they do, so the capacity would be 65,657.
Raymond James stadium seats more than 65,000 for NFL games, with the capability to increase to 75, 000 on a temporary basis. For USF games, the lower half of the stadium allows for a capacity of 41,441.
Old 05-17-05, 04:12 PM
Retired

I still don't understand why Marshall was so quick to jump from the MAC to C-USA.
I don't get it either.

It would have made sense if Louisville, Cincy, etc. were still there, but it makes no sense at all with the 2005 C-USA.
Old 06-08-05, 03:19 PM
Retired

ESPN drops is affiliation with the coaches poll.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2079442
Old 07-03-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

something to whet your appetite: the week 1 TV schedule is up at nationalchamps.net

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.