Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Tiger Woods misses cut for first time in 7 years

Old 05-13-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tiger Woods misses cut for first time in 7 years

but he still has a hot wife:

Old 05-13-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was thinking he missed the cut because of the wife.
Old 05-13-05, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's amazing. I didn't know until just now that the last cut he missed was because he didn't return to a rain delayed tournament a full 7 months later. Unreal, and it will never be broken, unless Tiger has another run in him.
Old 05-13-05, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Quake1028
That's amazing. I didn't know until just now that the last cut he missed was because he didn't return to a rain delayed tournament a full 7 months later. Unreal, and it will never be broken, unless Tiger has another run in him.
What won't be broken? Top guy missing a cut?

I'm a pro-golf idiot and have no clue, and am guessing there are a few others...
Old 05-14-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a somewhat misleading streak. He went 142 events without missing a cut, but only 111 of those events actually had 36-hole cuts.

But I agree it'll never be broken.
Old 05-14-05, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

it had to end sometime. It's his fault for bogeying the 18th hole.
Old 05-14-05, 06:33 AM

Its a great run, but i heard the longest streak right now is like 22? by ernie els. So I would say even if it is a little misleading its still one hell of a run.
Old 05-14-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Pretty amazing streak. Ironic that it ended at the Byron Nelson Classic. Tiger's streak broke the record previously held by Byron Nelson.
Old 05-14-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Cow
What won't be broken? Top guy missing a cut?

I'm a pro-golf idiot and have no clue, and am guessing there are a few others...
Anyone missing a cut for that long. As said, the longest streak right now is less than 30.
Old 05-14-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk God

ernie els now has the longest streak, at 20
it only took being 1 over to miss the cut.. its amazing to think someone can go 7 years, without having a really bad first couple rounds.
its easy to say it will never happen again.. because it would be AT LEAST 2011 before anycome could even come close

Enormity of Tiger's streak shouldn't go unappreciatedBy Bob Harig
Special to ESPN.com

There will be those who try to diminish its merits, saying that the number was artificially inflated. And there will be those who wonder what all the fuss is about because it's only the halfway point of a tournament, the outcome still in question.

Don't buy any of it.

Tiger Woods missed a cut for the first time in seven years Friday, and we shouldn't so much wonder what went wrong as we should celebrate the sheer enormity of the accomplishment.

For 142 consecutive tournaments on the PGA Tour dating back to 1998, Woods made the cut, a streak that ended at the Byron Nelson Championship, where his 36-hole total of 1-over 141 was one too many to qualify for the weekend.

A mind-boggling feat.

Ernie Els now holds the longest cut streak on the PGA Tour ... at 20.

Woods had made the cut in every tournament dating to the 1998 Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, and if you pressed Woods on the topic, he would argue that he didn't really miss the cut at all.

He withdrew before the final round was to be played -- six months after the tournament began -- due to weather problems. Woods simply elected not to return. The PGA Tour considered it a missed cut. Woods' only other missed cut on tour came at the 1997 Canadian Open.

"Consistent," Woods once said when asked what the streak said about him. "Not only consistent, but I fight pretty hard day in and day out. There are times when I should have missed the cut, but somehow I finagled a way to play on the weekend. That's just persistence.

"Also, a lot of luck goes with that, too. Some of those weeks I played bad enough where I definitely should have missed, but I also got lucky enough to where I was able to hang around."

At the 2003 Tour Championship, Woods broke Byron Nelson's then-record 113 consecutive cuts made, set from 1941-48. That it came at the Tour Championship pointed out one of the ironies of Woods' streak: The tournament had no cut. Everyone who qualified for it played 72 holes and was given credit for a made cut.

There were 31 such tournaments in Woods' streak. Nelson had none. In fact, in Nelson's day, a made cut meant finishing "in the money." Today, a made cut means just that -- making a cut. Then, tournaments might have paid to just the first 20 to 25 places. Nelson never finished worse than 17th.

The next-best streak after Nelson's was Jack Nicklaus' mark of 105 set from 1970-76. Nicklaus played in only 10 tournaments without a cut in place.

"Where it was tougher? It's probably a toss-up in many ways, I suppose," Nicklaus said in 2003, when Woods broke Nelson's record. "I mean, any time you make 100 cuts you've done pretty well. So how do you compare that?"

There is no doubting that Woods plays in an era when fields are deeper, competition stiffer. And the fact that no other golfer could manage such a streak given the same advantages says something about what Woods accomplished.

From the time he last missed a cut, Woods won 37 times, eight major championships included. Back then, Vijay Singh was winning his first major, David Duval was still a premier player in the world, and Michelle Wie was all of 8 years old.

It is probably fitting that the end came at the tournament hosted by Nelson, whose streak of 11 straight victories 60 years ago is another of golf's most celebrated achievements.

"What Tiger has done is fantastic," Jim Furyk once said. "I think it's a great record considering he's played against very deep, very big fields. And it only takes a bad day, one round of 75, 76, to push you out of the cut line. And he seems to fight through it when he's playing poorly and gets it done."

For once in a long, long time, Woods was not able to get it done.

There should be no shame in that.

Bob Harig covers golf for the St. Petersburg Times, and is a frequent contributor to ESPN.com. He can be reached at [email protected]
Old 05-15-05, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Tiger's been a little scary to watch after his Masters victory. He's gotta be more consistent off the tee in the next 3 majors to have a chance to win them.
Old 05-15-05, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

he's done.
Old 05-15-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey golf people, how does this compare to say, the win streak of Lance Armstrong? Which will be harder to beat in each respective sport?
Old 05-15-05, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cliffzig
Hey golf people, how does this compare to say, the win streak of Lance Armstrong? Which will be harder to beat in each respective sport?
Personally I don't see either streak being beaten, but if I had to bet which one would fall, it would be Tiger's.
Old 05-17-05, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Personally I don't see either streak being beaten, but if I had to bet which one would fall, it would be Tiger's.
I don't know about that. I don't know much about cycling but Lance Armstrong could have a couple bad days throughout the race and still win. I think he's even crashed during the race before and still come back. In golf usually one bad day on Thursday or Friday and more than likely you'll miss the cut. Hell, even a rough stretch of holes can do you in. What was so amazing about Tiger's streak was that his bad days just weren't all that bad. He's always been able to turn a 75 or 76 into a 71 and that's why he's been so consistent over the years. For him to not have a blowup round for 142 straight tournaments is simply amazing and in my opinion that streak will never be broken especially considering how the game is played nowadays. Then again, 6 straight Tour De France's is something that probably won't ever be equaled either.