Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Steve Nash Named NBA MVP

Old 05-11-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was very happy for Steve,firstly as a Canadian and secondly as a fan of how he plays the game.
Old 05-11-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't forget that Steve Nash was expendable because the Mavs picked up Devin Harris, who could turn out to be even better than Nash. It would have been great for Dallas to maybe sign Nash for 3 years or so, but he already had a huge contract offer from PHX.
Old 05-11-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Don't forget that Steve Nash was expendable because the Mavs picked up Devin Harris, who could turn out to be even better than Nash. It would have been great for Dallas to maybe sign Nash for 3 years or so, but he already had a huge contract offer from PHX.
While Nash was my favorite Maverick I understand why Cuban let him go. The Mavs weren't getting to the finals with him this year either. He's a great player and I couldn't be happier for him or Phoenix. If they beat Dallas I'm routing for them throughout the playoffs.
Old 05-11-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jericho
Of course they also dumped Antonie Walker and the new first time all-star and former 6th man of the year Antawn Jamison
and they added Stackhouse.

So, they lost Nash, Jamison and Walker. They gained Jason Terry, Devin Harris, Stack, and Dampier.

And this somehow proves Nash isn't an MVP how?
Old 05-11-05, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
And this somehow proves Nash isn't an MVP how?
Don't think he is trying to prove anything.

He's just saying Dallas with the direction they have gone do not miss Nash.

And pretty much any other NBA team would not make a big deal to get Nash. He's had a great year and I have no problem with him being the MVP this year, but it's a one year wonder type of thing. It could be argued that Nash isn't even the best player on his team.
Old 05-11-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The funny thing was that in the offseason, everyone was saying that picking up an aging, one dimensional player like Nash was a big mistake for the Suns at the price they paid.
Old 05-12-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
He's had a great year and I have no problem with him being the MVP this year, but it's a one year wonder type of thing. It could be argued that Nash isn't even the best player on his team.
I agree 100%. Except for one thing: I don't actually think there's even an argument, he isn't the best player on his team. But he is the MVP of his team.
Old 05-12-05, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
I agree 100%. Except for one thing: I don't actually think there's even an argument, he isn't the best player on his team. But he is the MVP of his team.

This doesn't really make much sense, but whatever. I mean value is pretty much tied to how good you are. Maybe not 100%, but pretty damn close.
Old 05-12-05, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jericho

This doesn't really make much sense
Makes perfect sense to me. Even in a selfish individual league like the NBA, it's still a team sport.

das
Old 05-12-05, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Makes perfect sense to me. Even in a selfish individual league like the NBA, it's still a team sport.

das
Unless you play in Cleveland, LA, Minnesota, etc..
Old 05-13-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Heat won last night without Shaq. I guess they don't need him.
Old 05-13-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To prove a point, I think Nash should sit out these next few games and see if the Suns can win without him.
Old 05-13-05, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
To prove a point, I think Nash should sit out these next few games and see if the Suns can win without him.
And then sit Dirk, and see if Dallas can win without him. Doesn't prove anything.
Old 05-13-05, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
Don't forget that Steve Nash was expendable because the Mavs picked up Devin Harris, who could turn out to be even better than Nash.
And I thought Marquis Daniels was one of the reasons why Nash was let go
Old 05-13-05, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by baloux
And I thought Marquis Daniels was one of the reasons why Nash was let go
Well that's preferrable to thinking it was Darrell Armstrong.
Old 05-13-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey

das

Sure it's a team sport, but the concept of involving your teammates is part of how good of a player you are. I just don't see how one can say Nash isn't the best player on his team, but is the most valuable. The only arguments I can think of are basically sophistry or involve speculation upon inferences upon guesses.
Old 05-13-05, 06:42 PM
Retired

Well, most people take being "best" to mean being the most talented and putting up the flashiest stats.

That doesn't taken into account intangibles like making everyone on your team better because of the way you play, which Nash does.

He may not be the "best" in the above sense, but when you factor in the intagibles plus his numbers, I think he's clearly the MVP of the team and the league.
Old 05-13-05, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Well, most people take being "best" to mean being the most talented and putting up the flashiest stats.

That doesn't taken into account intangibles like making everyone on your team better because of the way you play, which Nash does.

He may not be the "best" in the above sense, but when you factor in the intagibles plus his numbers, I think he's clearly the MVP of the team and the league.
If you were a GM and building a team, is he the first player you think about acquiring?
Old 05-13-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you were a GM and building a team, is he the first player you think about acquiring?
Of course not, which is why Nash was not given the "First Player You Think about Acquiring if You are a GM" award.

That award would most likely go to Lebron...
Old 05-13-05, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by gilbertr76
Of course not, which is why Nash was not given the "First Player You Think about Acquiring if You are a GM" award.

That award would most likely go to Lebron...
And he would not be the most "valuable" either. If valuable (bargain guy) goes with price tag you might pick him up. He probably would not even be on your team that you would build if you could pick and choose (5 starters).

He's value to the Sun's and has had a great year, but he wouldn't make many other teams better.
Old 05-13-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And he would not be the most "valuable" either. If valuable (bargain guy) goes with price tag you might pick him up. He probably would not even be on your team that you would build if you could pick and choose (5 starters).

He's value to the Sun's and has had a great year, but he wouldn't make many other teams better.
I agree, which is why when i was making NBA First Team predictions i left Nash off. However, i still have no qualms with him as the MVP. He fits the role he was put in pefectly, and because of that he's helped the Suns excel. However you couldn't drop him as PG of very many other teams and expect him to average 11 assists. Nash was in the right situation, the right team, at the right time.
Old 05-13-05, 10:08 PM
Retired

Not my first, but definitely one I'd pick in my first 5. Age is the main reason not to take him first.

Dwayne Wade is the player I'd take first. Seems to have as much talent as Kobe or T-mac without the baggage/selfishness and a few years younger.

I'd probably go with:

Wade
Lebron
Nash
Dwight Howard
Emeka Okafor

If I was starting a team. Not the 5 best players, but 4 of the best young players and the best veteran point guard to help them win sooner.