Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Another reason to love Brett Favre (comments on Walker)

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 05-04-05, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What are your thoughts on Favre's comments?

Story Link from ESPN

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- Brett Favre said he is disappointed with teammate Javon Walker's contract holdout, and suggested the Green Bay Packers could manage without the Pro Bowl wide receiver.

"If Javon wants to know what his quarterback thinks, and I would think he might, I'd tell him he's going about this the wrong way," Favre told the Green Bay Press-Gazette in a story posted on its Web site Tuesday.

"When his agent tells him not to worry about what his teammates think and all that stuff, I'd tell him I've been around a long time and that stuff will come back to haunt you."

Walker stayed away from a mandatory minicamp that ended Sunday. The 35-year-old Favre had been excused from the minicamp by coach Mike Sherman.

Walker has two years left on the contract he signed as a first-round draft pick of the Packers in 2002. He is scheduled to make $515,000 this season and $650,000 in 2006.

He's coming off a breakout season last year when he caught 89 passes for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns. He played in his first Pro Bowl in February.

Walker's new agent, Drew Rosenhaus, also represents cornerback Mike McKenzie, who held out of all the Packers' preseason training sessions a year ago. McKenzie was traded to New Orleans a few weeks into the season.

Favre said Walker might be wise to go to general manager Ted Thompson directly and try to work out a new deal.

"Javon has tremendous potential," Favre said. "We got to see some of that last year. The sky's the limit for that guy, and I'd be the first to defend him, but he's going about it the wrong way."

If Walker's position doesn't change, Favre said, he'd prefer the team to go without him. The situation reminded him of Sterling Sharpe's decision to hold out the night before the Packers hosted the Minnesota Vikings in the 1994 season opener.

"We've got guys who'll give great effort. Stars are made that way. Look what happened when Sterling left. Robert Brooks stepped up," Favre said. "We can win without him."

Rosenhaus was traveling when The Associated Press called his office seeking comment Tuesday.

"Maybe I'm old-school, but I always thought you honor a contract," Favre said. "Sure, sometimes guys pass you up in salary, and maybe it's a lesser player, but it's all based on what a team has as far as value in that person."

Favre left no doubt how he thinks the team should handle the situation.

"I sure hope the Packers don't give in to him," he said.
Old 05-04-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I read the comments this morning and agree with everything he says, except the part where he claims the Pack can do without him. Yes, they have other up and coming receivers, but Walker is on the edge of bringing another level to the team. I think they're really going to need that this season.
Old 05-04-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think holdouts are ruining sports, and I'm glad someone like Favre stepped up and called them out. I totally agree with him --- you honor your contract. These little crybabies need some real-world wake-up calls. You get sued in the real world if you breach a contract --- you don't just lose your $5M signing bonus or get rewarded with a better contract.

Oh, be careful what you say about Favre though...some people here despise him.
Old 05-04-05, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Toad
I think holdouts are ruining sports, and I'm glad someone like Favre stepped up and called them out. I totally agree with him --- you honor your contract. These little crybabies need some real-world wake-up calls. You get sued in the real world if you breach a contract --- you don't just lose your $5M signing bonus or get rewarded with a better contract.

Oh, be careful what you say about Favre though...some people here despise him.
Unfortunately, they seem to despise him because of the media attention he gets, which is silly. But whatever.

I'm just glad he said what he did. The fact that he stood up and said what he felt is a good thing for sports. As you said, holdouts are ruining sports, so to hear a comment like this basically telling Walker that he needs to do what's right for the team instead of what's right for just himself, well, that's a good thing.
Old 05-04-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That Drew Rosenhaus fella is making quite a name for himself. What a shitbag.

God bless Favre.
Old 05-04-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Walker better report to camp. I have him relatively cheap in my dynasty league. He was a stud last season.
Old 05-04-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Like Favre has a right to say anything, he's way overrated!

Walker was a great player last year, but Favre is right. Guys really need to stop holding out
Old 05-04-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brett Favre via James W. Powell
"When his agent tells him not to worry about what his teammates think and all that stuff, I'd tell him I've been around a long time and that stuff will come back to haunt you."
I saw a couple of guys being asked about this on NFL Network, and none of them really seemed to agree with Favre on this point. They all felt "it's a business first, and you gotta take care of your business".
Old 05-04-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would actually listen to Farve, if his dumbass was actually at the mini camp, but he was not, so he needs to get off his high horse.

I am still waiting for a reason to love Farve, although his last play off appearance I was pretty close to loving him. Seriously I think Farve is one of the best QBs ever to play the game, but I am sick of the way the media sucks his cock constantly. Like I said Farve is missing the same "Mandatory" mini camp, he has no room to talk and someone should call him on that, how mandatory is it if you can be excused by the coach?
Old 05-04-05, 11:19 AM
Banned

Brett Favre hasn't been relevant since 1998.
Old 05-04-05, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Favre isn't missing minicamp because he wants more money, he's missing it to be with his ailing wife.

Daryl - your quote embodies all that's wrong with professional sports today.

Fumanstein - the backup center to the backup center could say it and it would still be true and important; skill has nothing to do with making a statement. The statement just is more piercing because it comes from the leader of that team.
Old 05-04-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Elldubtoo -- ironic you're talking about relevance...
Old 05-04-05, 11:25 AM
Banned

Elldubtoo -- ironic you're talking about relevance...

Me being the more irrelevant poster in the history of DVDTalk doesn't change one bit that Favre has been irrelevant since 1998.
Old 05-04-05, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's just a logical fallacy --- he's relevant today because he was quoted in a paper regarding his football team.

If you're trying to say he hasn't been good since 1998 or that he has not had an impact on the game since 1998, then you need to find another word. "Relevance" is not it.

But welcome to the Favre-haters club; they'll welcome you with open arms, no doubt.
Old 05-04-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let's consider this for a second. Walker had a hell of a season last year, we can all agree with that. But let's say he told the team that he's not happy with his salary, yet he came in and shown that he cares about the club, not just himself. Wouldn't that make management more willing to work with him?
Old 05-04-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You'd think so, but the reality is Walker isn't behind this --- his agent is. The majority of athletes are blind to all but one thing: money.

If their agent tells them "yo dude, this is how you're gonna make your bling!" then they're going to follow the advice.

One of my very best friends is an agent, so not all agents are like that -- but the ones that are, and their client/holdouts, are making professional sports laughable.

Walker isn't just asking for a promotion (one which he clearly is entitled to - he's a stud), he's refusing to play until he gets it. Too bad.
Old 05-04-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk God

if he had a shitty season.. would he let them renegotiate this contract for lesser money?
Old 05-04-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Elldubtoo
Brett Favre hasn't been relevant since 1998.
Monday Night Football and all the other networks airing NFL games would tend to disagree with you.
Old 05-04-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
if he had a shitty season.. would he let them renegotiate this contract for lesser money?
Agreed. It is all about the money for many things. That is fine. I believe in the position that a continued high level of performance should let someone force the issue, if necessary, to renegotiate the contract. But playing at a high level is what you are expecting from your athletes. You DO NOT get to simply renegotiate every time you feel you performed well.

Or the teams should be able to cut costs and pay if you had a subpar year.
In the negotiation between owner and employee the pay cannot generally be counted upwards.
Old 05-04-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Seems like an unnecessary shot at a teammate to me (and a teammate that's making Favre look better than he really is these days).

What ever happened to backing up your guy? I don't like holdouts either and I agree with what Favre said, but it's not his place to say it. He should shut up, smile, and say "I really hope we get Walker back in the lineup. He's a good receiver."

Let newspaper reporters and TV commentators slam the guy. As his quarterback and teammate, your job is to say you believe in your guy.
Old 05-04-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If NFL teams weren't allowed to cancel contracts at the drop of a hat, I'd agree with the "honor your contract" sentiment.

I find it amusing that a lot of people think athletes are abnormal because they'll hold out for more money or don't take less money to stay with a particular team. It's a business. This is their career. If someone came up to me and offered me a 25% more than I'm making now to do the exact same job, I'd sure as hell go. Wouldn't you?
Old 05-04-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
No. His contract would permit them to waive him.
Old 05-04-05, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Duran
I find it amusing that a lot of people think athletes are abnormal because they'll hold out for more money or don't take less money to stay with a particular team. It's a business. This is their career. If someone came up to me and offered me a 25% more than I'm making now to do the exact same job, I'd sure as hell go. Wouldn't you?
That's not what's happening here. To use your "this is business" analogy, if you refuse to work for your boss under an existing contract, 2 things can and will happen: 1) you'll be sued for breach of contract, under which the damages range from specific performance to cover damages; and 2) you'll be fired.

At the end of a contract term, then I think a person can "hold out" and negotiate for a great deal, and if they get it --- great for them! In the middle of the contract term, it's unprofessional, no matter if you're an athlete or a businessman.
Old 05-04-05, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fumanstein - the backup center to the backup center could say it and it would still be true and important; skill has nothing to do with making a statement. The statement just is more piercing because it comes from the leader of that team.
I think you mean me? It was sarcasm, i was one of many in that thread arguing on behalf of Favre.
Old 05-04-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Duran

If NFL teams weren't allowed to cancel contracts at the drop of a hat, I'd agree with the "honor your contract" sentiment.

There's no such thing as "the exact same job". Every job has intangibles worthy of consideration, even sports. You also must factor in need. If I needed the 25% to survive, that changes things. If it's just more DVDs I can buy, it's far less of a factor.

Anyway, I agree with you about the hypcorisy of cancelling contracts. Frankly, I think it's all horseshit. "Holding out" is fucked up. You signed a contract; live with it. Of course, the way NFL organizations "break" contracts all the time, it's hard to blame people for trying to get what they can and get it now.

das

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.