Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

How Do You Get Your Sports News?

Old 05-02-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How Do You Get Your Sports News?

The main sources used have changed over the years. I remember when all sports news came from the major outlets like NBC, CBS and ABC. Certain publications such as Sports Illustrated, Ring, Tennis and other magazines depending on the field of interest. They were wildly diverse in terms of the talent within the article or the magazine as a whole. Tennis magazine was a advertising onslaught with occassionally brilliance. A terrible magazine but one of the only places to get news. I fondly remember *The National sports newpaper that folded after about a year. 1990 or so. Just felt it needed a mention. That was a great year. Hell of a hard time finding it. Lotta running around.

With the 'Net for the last few years the staples for sports came from The New York Times online, the sports channel and various local publications. This has changed to a world where we can be more particular. ESPN, Fox Sports, Sports Illustrated online are some of the better venues I have used. Now when I'm tracking sports news it is certain online newpapers that have proved to be the best places to go. For the Cowboys there are some papers in the Dallas area, but the the main one has gone to a largely paid format so the news has appreciably dropped. Better sources have proved to be the Cowboys opponents and their local pubs such as The Washington Post. But it is still a rather arduous and often fruitless search.

A few links I use:

www.dallasnews.com/sports leads to http://www.cowboysplus.com/
www.washingtonpost.com
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/sports/index.html
http://msn.foxsports.com/
http://cbs.sportsline.com/
www.espn.com
The National Post: http://www.canada.com/national/nationalpost/index.html

So where do you goto to get your news?

Last edited by Preacher; 05-02-05 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-02-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here. Why bother going elsewhere when the major events will be covered here almost play by play.
Old 05-02-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Wash Post & USA Today for the most part. I actually get a lot here too.

I can't stand pretty much anything coming out of ESPN (network or website) anymore.
Old 05-02-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mostly here. But for minor Red Sox and Patriots news I go to fan message boards. Also espn.com and cbs.

I read the Boston Herald sports section and occasionally the Boston Globe. Ill watch some ESPN news, but rarely Sportcenter or Baseball tonight. ( I hate them both)
Old 05-02-05, 01:04 PM

I follow two sports, soccer and golf. Aside from the internet, my sources of information are the magazines World Soccer, When Saturday Comes, Golf, and Golfweek.
Old 05-02-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

ESPN and here. I'll also browse CNNSI and a couple Lakers specific forums when i'm bored.
Old 05-02-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess mainly ESPN.com for news and Sportsline for game scores. Of course there's lot of analysis that I pick up from all over the place
Old 05-02-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jericho
I guess mainly ESPN.com for news and Sportsline for game scores. Of course there's lot of analysis that I pick up from all over the place
Same here.

Don't watch Sportscenter or BBTN anymore. Will watch NFL Prime Time during football season though.
Old 05-02-05, 03:50 PM

My Yahoo is pretty good. For more specific details I go to the leagues official website (NFL.com/MLB.com)
Old 05-02-05, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Preacher
I fondly remember The Insider national sports newpaper that folded after about a year. 1990 or so. Just felt it needed a mention.
Are you thinking of The National? I think that was the name of the sports paper that was around for about a year or so. I loved it as well.
Old 05-02-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PeMo
Are you thinking of The National? I think that was the name of the sports paper that was around for about a year or so. I loved it as well.
*corrected.

Yes. The National Sports Daily in long ass version. In a time before the 'Net and so many specialty sites this was one great year for sports information from this one publication. It ran Monday to Friday. And I ran to try and find it some days. It went bankrupt after about a year. The article below covers alot of the background before its launch.

http://www.inc.com/magazine/19900401/5118.html

Still looking for more information on its closing.

www.sportingnews.com
www.usatoday.com

Last edited by Preacher; 05-03-05 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-02-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since I only have basic cable - I get my sports news from the local news, here, cbssportsline and a couple of other websites.
Old 05-02-05, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, considering the only channel I watch on a daily basis is ESPNEWS...
Old 05-03-05, 11:54 AM

Here is another article about The National. A little bit of a background on it and why it failed. Reading it makes me wish it were still around. I remember trying to find it in stores wherever I was.

Article can be found here (free registration required)

Still missing the late, great National Sports Daily

By Tim Guidera
Savannah Morning News
She would have been 12 now. And there still isn't a day that somebody somewhere doesn't wonder what she would have been like today, whether she would have fulfilled the beauty we all saw in her if we hadn't lost her 10 years ago.

If that sounds sad, it is, although not as sad as another kind of story that might start that way. Here the "we" is only sports fans, not family. The "she" is only an entity -- not a someone, but still a something you can love.

And people did love The National Sports Daily, those who read it almost as much as those who made it. I was lucky enough to be one of both. I was among the too few who had access to the best sports publication ever produced and the many who helped put it out. In both cases, my role was small but rewarding.

You might remember The National, the all-sports daily newspaper born in 1990 and bankrolled by Mexican media mogul Emilio Azcarraga. It never quite made it to Savannah, but it made a name everywhere by changing the way sports were covered.

Because The National covered sports with an energy and imagination previously unseen in the industry and presented them with as much intellect as readers invest in them.

Every day, we were 30 or so pages of the best writers in the country, expanded standings that contained more information than a half-hour news show, comprehensive notes packages on a different highlighted sport every day, sports gossip and the coolest box scores in the world -- absolute beasts that included items such as a basketball player's turnovers, assists, steals, blocks, season scoring average and season-high point total.

In other words, we had everything -- sort of like a new Sports Illustrated every day. With statistics.

And 10 years ago Tuesday we printed for the last time.

The reasons for that were as abstract as bad timing, because we practiced a frivolous 1980s philosophy in the financially sober early 90s and predated America's current sports boom by just a couple of years. They were as technical as poor distribution, an inability to get our national newspaper into the hands of fans anywhere outside of a few major cities.

And they were as simple as spending too much money -- $150 million in the 16 months we published by most estimates -- by courting sportswriters like the free agents they covered and setting up shop at 666 Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, around the corner from Rockefeller Center and next door to the 21 Club, on the world's second-most expensive block of real estate at the time. We made some bad choices.

But, in 10 years, nobody has ever suggested that The National didn't make it because it wasn't good enough. In fact, the only complaint I ever heard about the product was that it was too complete, that there was too much in it to read every day. We always thought that was a good thing, like being served too much at a great restaurant.

I can brag about The National without actually being boastful because I had so little to do with the paper's success. When I went there the month before we debuted, I was a know-nothing kid with a few years of sports-writing experience at my hometown paper. (I suppose that's different than being a know-nothing adult with more experience working for my new hometown paper here. )

And, if I learned anything about how to do the job I have now, it was from the 16-month residency in sports journalism I enjoyed 10 years ago, from watching, reading and simply being around the best people in the business.

That's what the National was, really. It was editor-in-chief and sage-at-large Frank Deford as well as gifted columnists including Dave Kindred, Mike Lupica, Scott Ostler and Norman Chad. It was Chris Mortensen on the NFL, Al Morganti on the NHL, John Feinstein on college basketball and seamless planning by editors who had been hired away from the nation's best sports sections. It was big.

But The National was also some of the most talented people you've never heard of, inside guys like Lee Gordon and John Moore and Dave Tepps and Mark Godich, who made a difference with their ideas and their effort. It was two dozen or more people in an office every night, many in their 20s or early 30s, most sharing the same interests and all doing a job they enjoyed and taking pride in what they produced.

You got better by being around these people and you missed them when you weren't. Even after 10 years.

I heard from a lot of them this week, when somebody started a chain e-mail and encouraged others to add their favorite National memory to it.

Naturally, someone mentioned the ornate brass eagle -- a replica of our logo -- that Azcarraga had made for the office lobby at a smooth $130,000, only to discover upon delivery that it wouldn't fit in the service elevator. So a crane had to be hired for another $12,000 just to lift it though a second-floor window.

Another reminded about the time one of our writers called his editor from the French Open to explain that his cat had died and that he wished he could be back home for a few days to console his other heartbroken kitty. So, of course, a $6,000 ticket was promptly purchased so the writer could fly home, on the Concorde, and return in time for the semifinals.

There was also a note about the advertising department's only staff meeting -- in Bermuda, with a $4,600 bill for one dinner.

Those were the extravagances that made us unpopular in the industry, what for a short while, made us the New York Yankees of our business, buying success and worrying about its cost later. That was our identity. But it was also our undoing when Azcarraga finally sent over someone with a calculator to tell him just how insane he was being.

So, before long, we were gone, with one last and proper editorial decision to bump the deciding game from another NBA championship series off our final front page in favor of a story that meant a little more in our newsroom. The headline that day said "We Had a Ball." And, man, was it right.

The only thing more fun would have been seeing what The National would have become, how it might have made sports even more exciting than they have been during the last 10 years. It would have been interesting to see how we would have covered something like the O. J. trial or the McGwire-Sosa home run chase in 1998 or the emergence of Tiger Woods. Or how we would have responded to the growth of all-sports television and the challenge of the Internet.

Actually, it would have just been nice to see what could have been. In the end, it was a loss for sports, really.

Maybe it wasn't a tragedy that The National folded, just a shame. In most instances, it even worked out pretty well. Some of the people who worked there landed important jobs at the country's biggest papers. Some of us simply ended up with the work we always wanted in the kind of city where we always wanted to live. For me, The National's demise led to the better things none of us thought existed on June 12, 1991.

It got me back into writing, which I am happier doing and hopefully better at than the office work I did there. It got me to Savannah, which has become home during the last nine years.

And if all that had not happened, I would not have met my wife, whom I now can not even imagine being without.

In my case, the sacrifice has been worth it, what I lost 10 years ago wholly compensated by what I have received since.

But it sure would have been nice to have had both.
Old 05-03-05, 12:16 PM

Wow, this is pretty cool. 194 editions of the paper for sale:

iofferstores.com

Old 05-03-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good to have some more information. They really fed at the trough. With a chance to run up one mother of a bill they could not resist. Look forward ot finding some more stories on it.

Off to look.
Old 05-03-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk God

i just make it up
and then post it on internet forums
Old 05-03-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

twikoff !!
Old 05-04-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Online: whether it be ESPN.com, CNNSI.com, yahoo.com
TV: Sportscenter, Baseball Tonight, ATH, PTI
Old 05-04-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from Stuart Scott

and here.
Old 05-04-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Here. Why bother going elsewhere when the major events will be covered here almost play by play.

Mostly from ESPN for scores and baseball reading. I don't do alot of online or paper reading for sports stuff. I do read Sporting News Weekly, though. Occasionally I will catch Sportscenter, but I'll try to watch Baseball Tonight in HD just so I can see the Braves highlights in HD.