Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

WWE Backlash 5/1/05

Old 05-01-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

WWE Backlash 5/1/05

Didn't see a thread for this, so just wondering if anyone is getting this or going to watch it or whatever.

The wife and I are headed to a friends house with a bunch of people to check it out, so it should be fun.

Here are the scheduled matches, and my predictions:

World Heavyweight Championship
Triple H vs Batista (champion)

I say Triple H comes away with the title, unfortunately. After he nailed Batista with the Pedigree last week on Raw, it seems like they want him to win the title (again) and then maybe have another title match at Vengeance.

Last Man Standing Match
Edge vs Chris Benoit

I think Chris Benoit wins this one. Edge has been cheap shotting Benoit lately, and I think that it's his turn to pay him back. Plus, when Edge loses, he'll probably flip out and go nuts on Benoit anyway.

Tag Team Match
Muhammed Hassen and Davari vs HBK and Hulk Hogan

This is a tough one. Hassen is undefeated on Raw, and has been DQ'd twice, which preserved his streak. In fact, the only two times I have seen him get beat down was at the Royal Rumble (when about 5-6 other wrestlers teamed up and tossed him out as soon as he entered the ring) and at Wrestlemania 21 when Hogan came and took him and Davari out. I am going to have to say HBK and Hogan win due to the fact that the fans would want to see Hogan win another match and "defend America" from Hassen or whatever

Kane w/Lita vs Viscera w/Trish Stratus

Easy win for Kane. Viscera may be big, but he doesn't seem like he knows what he's doing in the ring. He is funny, though. Those dinner segments with Trish were pretty humorous.

Intercontinental Championship
Chris Jericho vs Shelton Benjamin (champion)

Easy win for Benjamin. With all the talk about the WWE not knowing if Jericho will re-sign with them, or whatnot, I doubt they want to risk him as a champ. Unless they let him win, and then have Benjamin win the title back in a couple of weeks on Raw. I doubt it, though.

Tag Team Turmoil
The Heart Throbs vs. La Resistance vs. The Hurricane & Rosey vs. Simon Dean & Maven vs. William Regal & Tajiri (champions)

I'd love for the Hurricane and Rosey to win, but my gut feeling says that Regal and Tajiri retain the title. If they don't, I suspect Simon Dean and Maven to win in an absolute upset.

Anyone else have any predictions?
Old 05-01-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
World Heavyweight Championship
Triple H vs Batista (champion)

I say Triple H comes away with the title, unfortunately. After he nailed Batista with the Pedigree last week on Raw, it seems like they want him to win the title (again) and then maybe have another title match at Vengeance.
One of the cardinal rules of Raw is the person that goes over on the show right before the PPV loses the PPV match 95% of the time. Anywho, Batista kicks out of the Pedigree and retains the belt.
Old 05-01-05, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Quake1028
One of the cardinal rules of Raw is the person that goes over on the show right before the PPV loses the PPV match 95% of the time. Anywho, Batista kicks out of the Pedigree and retains the belt.
I hope you're right, man
Old 05-02-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Told ya!
Old 05-02-05, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

good to see Triple H didn't win it right back
Old 05-02-05, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Full results courtesy of Wrestling Observer

5/1/2005 7:37:00 PM
WWE Backlash PPV match-by-match coverage

by Dave Meltzer

[email protected]

Welcome to our coverage of the WWE Backlash PPV event from the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, NH.

We're looking for your thoughts on the show, so you can leave a thumbs up, thumbs down or thumbs in the middle along with a best and worst match to [email protected].

Val Venis vs. Tyson Tomko opens the show as the Heat match. Tomko won after a high kick. Venis did a good job here and it was better than you'd think.

Shelton Benjamin vs. Chris Jericho for the IC title is the PPV opener. Crowd early was kind of down. Jericho was clearly the crowd favorite, even to the point of booing when Benjamin mae the ropes on the walls. Benjamin got a cradle pin after a series of reversals of cradles. Very good match. Jericho walked off on an interview after the match, teasing a needed heel turn.

Tag team guantlet match for the titles is next up.
Heart Throbs vs. Regal & Tajiri starts this off. Tajiri pinned Antonio with a sunset flip out of the corner
Regal & Tajiri vs. Maven & Dean ended with Regal pinned Dean after a running knee
Regal & Tajiri vs. La Resistance ended with Conway pinning Regal after a schoolboy holding the tights
La Resistance vs. Hurricane & Rosey ended with Hurricane doing a splash off Rosey's shoulders onto Conway so they ended the match a the new tag champs. There was enough of Grenier for the comedy bad stuff, but most of the match was fine.

Edge vs. Benoit in the last man standing match is up now. Brutal match, combining big wrestling moves along with garbage can shots. Benoit was out there killing himself including a tope into a garbage can lid swing like a baseball bat by Edge, something like 8 German Suplexes and a missed diving head-butt off the top of the ladder. The last man standing frequent 10 counts hurt momentum and crowd heat wasn't great for the finish but the people popped for a lot of early stuff. Match was so strong that after a few minutes, there were no more Matt Hardy chants after loud chants early. Edge won via ten count after hitting Benoit in the back of the head with a brick. Crowd chanted for Benoit and Benoit's selling of the KO was great.

They were about to interview the various Divas after showing bikini shots plugging the magazine when Chris Masters showed up. His challenge is up to $3,000. He picked a woman out of the crowd, who was Melissa Coates, a former pro bodybuilder who wrestles in OVW and laid her out. They acknowledged her name, but not her background. She claimed to be from Manchester, and Masters made a joke about putting the Man in Manchester.

Viscera wanted to take Trish Stratus to a bed & breakfast.

Kane vs. Viscera is next. They have several challenges ahead of them, between following the match and the fact Lita is at ringside. Lita did seem to be going heel in her pre-match promo.
Kane got the pin after a choke slam. Terrible match. Stratus told Viscera he was pathetic. She said she'd have never slept with a loser like him. She said she's getting a real man to take out Viscera. Viscera gave her a quick bearhug and big splash. I'm guessing Stratus has to take time off for her back injury. Stratus went out on a stretcher.

Hogan & Michaels vs. Hassan & Daivari is next. Crowd went nuts for Hogan of course, during the intro, and for some of his trademark spots. Hogan didn't do the legdrop but aside from that, looked about the same as he did the last time around. He didn't limp at all this time. Michaels superkicked Daivari and Hogan pinned him. Then came the long posing routine which got over huge as well.

They did an ECW PPV commercial. Heyman did the VO on the commercial.

Looks like we've got a 20:00 main event coming.

Christian came out for a rap. Crowd booed him. He was mostly building up going to Smackdown to face Cena.

Batista pinned HHH with a Batista bomb. They had a good match. A couple of ref bumps, all the usual short cuts. HHH did a pedigree but it was during a ref bump. Batista sold most of the way. HHH knocked down Flair and gave a pedigree to the ref after the match.

Thanks for joining us.
Old 05-02-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I chose not to get the PPV.

From what I've read on the sites, a HHH/Batista Hell in the Cell is confirmed for June. So I guess that's when HHH will win it back, and Batista will just fall back into the mid-card like many before him.

Kinda sad when 2 of the "top" tag teams have gotten their butts handed to them in handicap matches over the last 2-3 months. Batista took out La Resistance before he "officially" turned face, and of course HHH a few weeks ago on RAW against Hurricane and Rosey.

And for those who saw it - was the crowd totally dead during the Chris Masters segment, as they have been the past few weeks?
Old 05-02-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome PPV! Hogan is still garbage.
Old 05-03-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Viscera is hilarious, they have to use him more.