Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Chelsea win EPL!

Old 04-30-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Chelsea win EPL!

Since I knew none of the other soccer guys who hang out here would post this....

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/3575660

Chelsea beats Bolton to win league title
Story Tools: Print Email
Robert Millward / Associated Press
Posted: 19 minutes ago

LONDON (AP) - Frank Lampard shot Chelsea to its first English league title in 50 years on Saturday as Jose Mourinho's team beat Bolton 2-0.

The England midfielder struck in the 60th and 76th minutes at the Reebok Stadium and the Blues now have an unbeatable 14-point lead at the top of the Premier League.

Second-place Arsenal, last year's champion, goes to West Bromwich Albion on Monday but, with only four games to play, can't catch Chelsea, whose only other league title was in 1955.

Mourinho's team has lost just one league match all season and has 88 points from 35 games, including 27 victories.

Chelsea also won the League Cup by beating Liverpool 3-2 in the final and is on course for a treble in Mourinho's first season. The Blues meet Liverpool at Anfield in the second-leg semifinal of the Champions League on Tuesday, the two teams drew 0-0 in the first leg.

"This group is really special," he said. "That's why I want to stay with them for the maximum time, maybe for longer than the contract I have.

"Nobody speaking with fairness and sense can say we don't deserve this title. But the players deserve this more than anybody and I'm very happy for the fans. Anyone who is less than 50 has never won this championship."

Lampard, whose goals took him ahead of striker Didier Drogba as Chelsea's top scorer this season, said he wanted to make up for a bad miss in Wednesday's Champions League semifinal against Liverpool.

"I felt I owed the fans one after that miss in midweek. This was the best way to repay them," he said.

"We wanted to win the league first now we want to beat Liverpool. This is a moment I will enjoy for the rest of my life. It is a great relief after 50 years for the fans and for everyone."

Team captain John Terry said Mourinho was angry with his players at halftime for a poor performance in the early stages.

"We did not start too well in the first half and we got a bit of a telling off. The response was perfect," the England defender said.

"It is the best feeling ever. It's been a long time coming, the supporters have been waiting a long time and they fully deserve it."

Bolton threatened to put the celebrations on hold for at least another week. But Greek forward Stelios Giannakopoulos fired tamely at Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech, who then made saves from Gary Speed and Fernando Hierro.

Chelsea appeared jittery at the back but finally gave its noisy fans something to cheer when Lampard struck with his first goal.

The England midfielder collected a headed pass from Drogba, shrugged off Vincent Candela and spun inside Tal Ben Haim before shooting right-footed past 'keeper Jussi Jaaskelainen.

Cech, who has had 23 shutouts this season, rescued Chelsea with a reflex save to stop teammate Geremi heading a long throw in by Speed into his own net.

The second goal came 14 minutes from the end on a breakaway with Bolton caught upfield. Lampard was put clear of the defense and dribbled around Jaaskelainen before rolling the ball into an empty net.

After referee Steve Dunn blew the final whistle, the celebrations began. Mourinho hugged his players as they sprayed champagne over each other while billionaire club owner Roman Abramovich applauded from the VIP box.

While Chelsea celebrated a long-awaited title triumph, the rest of Saturday's program was dominated by the struggle to avoid relegation.

Henri Camara fired the winner two minutes from the end as Southampton climbed three spots from last place to the safety zone after a thrilling 4-3 victory over Norwich.

That result puts the Canaries in last place.

Crystal Palace fought out a 0-0 draw with Newcastle at St. James' Park to maintain its survival chances, although Iain Dowie's team dropped one place back into the relegation zone. West Bromwich Albion slipped down to next-to-last.

The results mean that Southampton and Palace have 31 points from 36 games, with Harry Redknapp's Saints holding a superior goal differential. Albion and Norwich have 30, with the Baggies holding a game in hand as well as a better goal difference.

Fourth-place Everton tumbled 2-0 at Fulham, with United States' international striker Brian McBride scoring with a long-range header.

That result guaranteed Fulham's safety, but the loss for Everton gave Liverpool a chance to trim its neighbor's advantage in the race for the fourth Premier League spot.

But Liverpool, possibly distracted by Tuesday's Champions League semifinal showdown with Chelsea, was held 1-1 at home by Middlesbrough. Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard scored the second-half equalizer.

Birmingham came from behind to beat Blackburn 2-1 and Manchester City made it six games in a row unbeaten under Stuart Pearce with a 2-0 victory over Portsmouth.

Sunday's games are: Tottenham vs. Aston Villa and Charlton vs. Manchester United.

Maybe this momentum will carry on Tuesday at Anfield. I would be nice to see 2 more Frank Lampard goals there.

Last edited by uli2000; 04-30-05 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-30-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the match today,two nice goals by Lampard.Congrats to Chelsea on being champs
Old 05-01-05, 11:13 AM

Chelsea certainly deserved to win the title, but when you spend, what, half a billion dollars on players over a couple or so years, I guess you should win a few trophies.
Old 05-01-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I. Fucking. Hate. Chelsea. So. Much.

The entire organization is a complete and total disgrace to football.

And don't get me started about that fat bastard Lampard breaking Alonso's leg and not even getting a card, or Gudjonssen purposefully diving so that Alonso would get a yellow card on Wednesday so he'd miss the second leg.

Last edited by WildcatLH; 05-01-05 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-01-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shiv Shankly
Chelsea certainly deserved to win the title, but when you spend, what, half a billion dollars on players over a couple or so years, I guess you should win a few trophies.
More than that. I believe they've spent £280,000,000 on transfers over the last two years or so. That's... about $534,000,000. And the fact of the matter is, they're killing the transfer market by paying way too high prices for players, since that russian mob boss Abramovich doesn't give a shit about how much he spends.
Old 05-01-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WildcatLH

And I'm not a big fan of her mother, her father, or Stanford for that matter.

But Chelsea, herself? Meh, I have no opinion one way or the other.
Old 05-02-05, 05:33 AM

Story in todays paper that Roman's spent £1.02 million a day since he took control at the club.
Old 05-02-05, 09:21 AM

Strong agreement.
Old 05-02-05, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember: You can buy titles, but you can't buy class (especially with Kenyon and Mourinho on board) and you can't buy tradition.

18 and 4.
18 and 4.
18 and 4.

And Chelsea will never come close to either of those numbers.
Old 05-02-05, 10:17 AM

18 and 4.
By the time Liverpool are close to add to those impressive numbers Chelsea may have caught up.
Old 05-02-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Considering they haven't won the league in a very long time, and considering that Roman is going to get bored at some point and leave Chelsea in a quagmire that's going to make what happened to Leeds look like nothing, I'm not very worried about that.
Old 05-02-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remember: You can buy titles, but you can't buy class
didnt stop the Yankees during the 90's