Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Pro Wrestler Chris Candido Passes Away

Old 04-29-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pro Wrestler Chris Candido Passes Away

Details are sketchy, but it's being reported that Chris Candido, who spent time in promotions like the WWF and ECW, has passed away. He suffered a broken leg on Sunday and underwent surgery on Monday. No official word on cause of death, but it could be related to post-surgery. A shame since he did all that work to clean his act up and something like this gets him.

RIP Chris
Old 04-29-05, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-29-05, 01:46 AM
Banned

I am shocked beyond belief. I was looking forward to seeing him wrestle on the 7th and then the broken leg happened. This was just so out of the blue I cannot believe it. I met him a couple months back and he was a great guy. RIP Chris
Old 04-29-05, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

truly ashame that he passed on

I just saw him wrestle at the end of last year, and he gave a good performance
Old 04-29-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

holy crap.... no way
Old 04-29-05, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

CHRIS CANDIDO PASSES AWAY
by Mike Johnson @ 12:50:00 AM on 4/29/2005

TNA star Chris Candido passed away suddenly this evening in New Jersey. Candido, 33, had suffered a myriad of injuries to his ankle at the TNA Lockdown PPV last Sunday. He was said to have been in good spirits following surgery on Monday, where a metal plate and screws were inserted to fix a dislocated ankle, a broken tibia, and a broken fibula.

Candido had appeared at the TNA taping in Orlando, Florida this past Tuesday, just 24 hours after the surgery, managing the Naturals from a wheelchair to the NWA Tag Team championships. The episode is scheduled to air tomorrow on the Fox Sports Network.

It should be noted that the police department in Candido's hometown of Matawan, New Jersey would not confirm his passing.

TNA posted the following message on their website "TNA joins the entire wrestling world in mourning the untimely death of Chris Candido on Thursday."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHRIS CANDIDO'S BROTHER COMMENTS ON CANDIDO'S PASSING AND CAUSE
by Mike Johnson @ 2:30:00 AM on 4/29/2005

Chris Candido's brother Johnny posted the following message on the USAProWrestling.net message board this evening:

"I find it only fitting you hear the truth from me about the death of my bestfriend, brother, and soulmate. Chris died tonight due to a blood clot brought on by complications with his surgery.

I just want to tell everyone that in their sorrow, find a way to be happy that he went out the way he wanted to...on top of the world, blonde, tan, and loving life up until the last minute. Every ounce of my brother loved this sport, and for him to go out 2 or 3 years ago wouldn't have been a fitting end to the life of such a determined, passionate, and benevolent human being.

I truly view my brother as an angel as will all who knew him. Thanks to everyone for all your positive press, Chris went out a happy man and will forever live on as the(one of) greatest of all time. He would have had it no other way."
Old 04-29-05, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. Condolences to his family, friends, and Tammy (Sunny)
Old 04-29-05, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Awww man... that sucks. Followed his career since he was in SMW and then ECW.
Old 04-29-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Holy shit!! I had just read about the whole broken leg thing; this is a total shock.

Well, time for the media to go wild again. Maybe they'll call for Congress, once they're done with the NFL steroid hearings, to waste some more time and examine the early demises of pro wrestlers......
Old 04-29-05, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What the fuck!

He was in the midst of a comeback after spending the last few years working on his addictions. I had heard about his injury suffered the other day. This is terrible.
Old 04-29-05, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Horrible news. Shocked me this morning to read this.
Old 04-29-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow... no more BodyDonna's left other than Sunny now.

(Wasn't Crash Holly a BodyDonna?) can't remember...

Last edited by devilshalo; 04-29-05 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-29-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo

No.

Tom Prichard was "Zip"

Last edited by GuessWho; 04-29-05 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-29-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good recap of Bodydonna history

http://www.wrestlecrap.com/bodydonnas.html
Old 04-29-05, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo

You may be thinking of Rad Radford a.k.a Louie Spicolli. He's also dead.
Old 04-29-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Geez.. so many
Old 04-30-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Were he and Tammy Sytch still together? I haven't heard much from her in ages.
Old 04-30-05, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally Posted by movieking
Were he and Tammy Sytch still together? I haven't heard much from her in ages.
I think so. I read a day-in-the-life blog-like entry from Chris about two months ago: he said Tammy was owner/operator of a tanning salon. He'd open in the morning with her, tan for a while, then hit the gym and the ring. In the afternoon, he head home to do the housework and make dinner. Then he'd head back to the salon and they';d close together, go home to eat, and hit the hay.

He made it sound like a very structured, dull existance just like many Americans have.

Cause of death is now being speculated/rumored/reported (depending on the source) as either a staph infection, or blood embolism.
Old 04-30-05, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

III No Gimmicks Needed

My friend called and told me yesterday. RIP Chris you will be missed.

Last edited by cactusoly; 04-30-05 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-30-05, 02:27 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Usually what happens after major bone surgery is a fat embolus.
RIP.
Old 04-30-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bhk
Usually what happens after major bone surgery is a fat embolus.
RIP.
I'm not arguing with you, just posting what I read on one of the boards:

"Chris Candido's brother, Johnny, posted the following statement today on USAProWrestling.net's message board.

"I find it only fitting you hear the truth from me about the death of my bestfriend, brother, and soulmate. Chris died tonight due to a blood clot brought on by complications with his surgery. ""
Old 04-30-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, so many die young in Pro Wrestling. For a fake sport it certainly has a high death toll. As posted above this really sucks because it seemed the guy had done so much to straighten out his image.
Old 05-03-05, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm surprised the WWE wainted until almost 45 minutes into the first hour of Raw to post a memorial. Seems it would have been more respectful at the beginning of the show.
Old 05-07-05, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I live in Orlando and always go to the TNA PPV's and TV tapings they have at Stage 21 in Universal Studios. The match was Candido & Lance Hoyt vs Sonny Siaki & Apolo in the steel cage. I remember thinking how great Candido looked before the match and was happy to see him wrestling again. We were 4 rows away when he broke his leg, Siaki and Candido messed up a move and Chris landed wrong under Siaki. They replayed it on he big screen and it reminded me of when Sid broke his leg in WCW.

Two days later he was at the Tuesday Impact TV tapings and he managed The Naturals to a Tag Team title win over America's Most Wanted, he came down in a wheelchair with the Naturals and got involved in the match limping around and tring to hit AMW with his crutches.

I can't believe it.

http://www.tnawrestling.com/
Old 05-09-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I try to catch TNA on Fox Sports West when i can... what's doubly weird is that they were playing it off like a fake injury, and I had no idea he was really injured. They did this fake angle with Dustin Rhodes getting beat up or something, and put out on a stretcher, then Candido comes out for the next match in a wheelchair with the lawyer, and the announcers complained that while Dustin was "really" hurt, Candido's there faking it.

Did TNA do some kind of acknowledgement, maybe at the PPV?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.