Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

New BCS 4-team Playoffs begin 1/07 (or not... The BCS still completely sucks)

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-27-05, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't miss a thread about this, did I???

BCS' new championship rotation to start in Tempe

By BLAIR KERKHOFF The Kansas City Star

Tempe, Ariz., will play host to the first national championship game under the new five-bowl model of the Bowl Championship Series after the 2006 season.

The BCS National Championship Game will be played in Tempe on Jan. 8, 2007, one week after the Fiesta Bowl is played in the same stadium, BCS commissioner Kevin Weiberg announced Tuesday from Scottsdale, Ariz.

The five-bowl BCS model was introduced last year to accommodate more teams in the major bowl picture.

The title game will be first televised on Fox Sports.

The rotation for the BCS games under the new five-bowl package will remain the same, with New Orleans being host to the Sugar Bowl and title game in 2008, then Miami (the Orange Bowl) and Pasadena, Calif. (the Rose Bowl).

That was the major development Tuesday as BCS leaders concluded a second day of discussions about the future of college football's championship.

Weiberg and his group heard from the National Football Foundation and the National Association of Athletic Directors. Both groups have offered to organize a poll that would replace The Associated Press poll in the BCS standings. The AP pulled its poll after last season.

The foundation poll would consist of former coaches, players and administrators. The athletic director's poll would consist of former administrators.

The BCS wanted to know more about the number of voters, the voting process, whether the votes would be made public and when the polls would begin.

“It's our preference that a poll wouldn't begin until mid-October,” Weiberg said. “We think it would be important for games to be played and for voters to see the results of those games.”

Weiberg said the BCS officials would address the credibility of a new poll.

Weiberg also shared a letter the BCS delivered to members of Congress explaining the group's preference to maintain the bowl system rather than begin a playoff.

The meetings conclude today.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/11497114.htm

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 04-27-05 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-27-05, 03:45 PM
Retired

Wow, that would be fantastic.

I'm not getting my hopes up yet though, seems fishy that a Kansas City Newspaper would scoop ESPN.
Old 04-27-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ESPN is saying it on the ticker on the Deuce as I watch the Champions League match. Just can't find anything to link to on their website.
Old 04-27-05, 03:48 PM
Retired

Wow, in that case...about fucking time!!!
Old 04-27-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ditto that. What took um so long?
Old 04-27-05, 04:09 PM
Retired

Still nothing online, strange....
Old 04-27-05, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Horrible idea. They spend so much time trying to fix the problem they make it worse. By adding teams it will never improve. What about the 5th place team?

Now you have to:
win your regular season conference.
win the post season playoff that many have.
win a 4 team playoff to gain the National Championship

Maybe play 14 games in a year.

Fuck.
Old 04-27-05, 04:44 PM
Retired

A 5th place team has no right to bitch, or at least much less right when you have situations like 3 undefeated teams last year, or 1 undefeated and 2 one loss teams etc.

There will rarely ever be more than 4 teams with a legitimate gripe, and while this is not perfect, it is much better.

The championship will be decided on the field, while the importance of winning every regular season game isn't diminished much.

And who cares if they play 14 games. The NFL champion plays 20. And don't spout that student athelete crap. Student athletes are a dead concept in major conference division I football and basketball.
Old 04-27-05, 04:47 PM
Retired

Looks like this was BS anyway. It's just a fifth BCS game added, with the championship one being played a week after the other four. It's still just 1 vs. 2, not a playoff.

This fifth bowl is part of an expanded BCS and will rotate among the Valley, Miami, New Orleans and Pasadena, Calif., but still is not a traditional playoff. The top two teams in the BCS standings after the regular season will meet, as they did the past several seasons, in the BCS title game.
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...bowl26-ON.html
Old 04-27-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been well known that it was a 5th game added, and nothing in the above article indicated it was a 4-team playoff. In fact, it expressly said the 5th game was to incorporate more teams into the BCS picture.
Old 04-27-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what a fucking money grubbing joke.
Old 04-27-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They mentioned it on SportsCenter last night, but then I saw nothing online today, so I was hesitant to post it (so tired last night, I thought I might have been asleep and dreamed it!). This is so stupid. It's not the "plus 1" idea, it's just another two teams making it into the BCS (the #9 and #10 teams if everything went in proper order). Now if that game sucks, who the hell is gonna go to it outside of the fans of those two teams? For example: if I live in Miami, I'm sure as hell passing up going to the Orange, when a week later I can go to the National Championship game
Old 04-27-05, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great. You can't report your own posts to a moderator. Could someone please report my first post and ask that the title of this thread be changed to "The BCS still completely sucks donkey testicles"?

kthxbye

I swear I was led to believe this while listening to the radio this morning (I blame Colin Cowherd). I blame my bleary state in probably getting me confused in a "14 games is too much for these student athlete" discussions of what COULD be done. I swear the announcer said "this is the best they will do in our lifetimes", when the announcers wanted like a 16 team playoff through the winter break. In fact, what they actually did does nothing to clear up the national champion.

The NCAA is looking into reducing the baseball season to 14 games as well as making basketball, including the tourney, be a max of 14 games, to keep from pulling these einsteins away from class any more than necessary.

I relooked at the ESPN ticker (had tivoed it), and it just says, verbatim, "Beginning in 2006 season, Bowl Championship Series will expand by 2 teams with a new game one week after the existing four PCS bowls to determine the BCS national champion; BCS title game will be held on a rotating basis at the site of the Fiesta, Sugar, Orange, and Rose Bowls."

The only plus would be spending more than a week over New Years in New Orleans, if that is the sort of thing that interests you, when it should rotate to the Sugar Bowl.

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 04-27-05 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-27-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brizz
what a fucking money grubbing joke.
I was thinking the same thing about the a$$holes.
Old 04-27-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But too late for Auburn and Utah. Jason Campbell tells NCAA to "suck it!"
Old 04-27-05, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
If this plan happens, then there will just end up being 5 undefeated teams
Old 04-27-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Preacher
Maybe play 14 games in a year.

teams have scheduled 12 regular season game
ALOT more teams are trying to schedule 12 regular season games
the NCAA is now trying to keep them from being able to schedule 12, until all the new academic rules have taken effect

but really.. playing 12 + conf champ + bowl game
isnt any different than playing 11 + conf champ + bowl playoff + championship

Ive always been against any playoff system that has more than 4 teams.. but a 4 team system would have worked out pretty well the past couple years..
if youre #5.. you didnt deserve a shot anyways
Old 04-27-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
I relooked at the ESPN ticker (had tivoed it), and it just says, verbatim, "Beginning in 2006 season, Bowl Championship Series will expand by 2 teams with a new game one week after the existing four PCS bowls to determine the BCS national champion; BCS title game will be held on a rotating basis at the site of the Fiesta, Sugar, Orange, and Rose Bowls."
I know - technically true, but very misleading, when they don't mention that that the #1 and #2 are still determined the same old way, and not by playing in the Fiesta, Sugar, Orange, or Rose. It does nothing to solve the 3 undefeated problem of last year, except maybe Auburn gets a slightly better opponent (Cal now gets in, maybe goes to Rose; Texas goes to Sugar to face Auburn)
Old 04-27-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're right that did make no sense, I need to actually read the whole article next time.
Perhaps I do to.

The more I think about it, the more I think I was misled by some local radio morons who misunderstood what had been decided. It kinda made sense to have it the way I thought it was, since the game would be in the same town as the BCS bowl game, but a week later, I assumed with the winner of the #1/#4 game staying there to face the winner of the #2/#3 game. Who woulda thought both games in that city would be 4 different teams.
Old 04-28-05, 06:02 AM

If this plan happens, then there will just end up being 5 undefeated teams
Very true, but unfortunately too many "fans" and idiot sportswriters can't see it coming. By watering down the championship format, they've diluted the importance of the regular season. Say goodbye to good non-conference matchups during the regular season, as all the top tier teams will stock up on easy opponents. The beauty of the BCS is that you have to have a good record AND play quality teams during the season. With a 4/8/16 team playoff, only the overall record will matter.

If they really wanted to stop the whining and eliminate the problem of 3 undefeated teams, then my proposal is to let teams declare themselves eligible for the BCS before the season begins. If they do declare, then a BCS committee gets to schedule their non-conference opponents with other eligible teams. Therefore, good teams play good teams during the season. Any school who doesn't declare themselves BCS eligible gets to schedule their own opponents, but cannot go to a BCS bowl and would have no legitimate complaint since they shied away from the competition. We would be far less likely to see many undefeated teams under that format, the regular season could stay at 11-12 games, and the integrity of the bowls would be preserved. There is no need for schools to keep their current system of scheduling football seasons 4-5 years in advance anyway.
Old 04-28-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk God

BCS = joke
Old 04-28-05, 11:15 AM

The beauty of the BCS is that you have to have a good record AND play quality teams during the season. With a 4/8/16 team playoff, only the overall record will matter.
There's nothing inherit in the BCS that provides the good record/quality teams requirement that the playoffs couldn't incorporate. In fact, one of the more popular ideas is to use the BCS rankings just like they are now, as seedings for the 4 team playoff. In that format, quite literally nothing would have changed as far as scheduling goes, because the criteria is exactly the same. I'm not sure how we can "Say goodbye to good non-conference matchups during the regular season", because we don't really get that now. A 4 team playoff isn't going to affect that at all...if you want to get in you have to be in the top 4, and to do that you can't lose, and you have to play quality teams.
Old 04-28-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TexasGuy
Say goodbye to good non-conference matchups during the regular season, as all the top tier teams will stock up on easy opponents.
That's what kills me the most. At Michigan, ticket prices keep rising, yet the games aren't getting any better, they're getting worse. It used to be: play two top 25 teams in non-conference, so it was exciting to see teams like FSU, Miami-FL, Colorado, Washington, etc. come through here, plus the Notre Dame game. Now it's: play Notre Dame, some directional Michigan school, and some mid major that has maybe a 5% chance of winning at best. No offense to those schools like SDSU and Northen Illinois and Miami-OH, but if I'm being hit up for $50+ a ticket, I wanna see a top 25 matchup. As long as the Michigan-Notre Dame game is in place, no other big non-conference matchup is coming to the Big House. For seasons like last year, where Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Purdue were on the road, the Michigan home schedule didn't justify the ticket prices.

But if I can't blame them, BCS money is important, and you need the wins to get in it. Why take a chance playing Tennessee in a home and home, when you can beat Eastern Michigan at your place year after year.
Old 04-28-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One more thing: the new BCS deal also changes the agreement with Notre Dame. It used to be: a top 10 poll finish and 9 wins and ND is automatically in and they get a full $16 mill share. Now it will be: top 8 BCS finish and they are in (or top 12 poll ranking for consideration), but they only get the standard $4.5 mill a conference team gets.
Old 04-28-05, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by BabiG
There's nothing inherit in the BCS that provides the good record/quality teams requirement that the playoffs couldn't incorporate. In fact, one of the more popular ideas is to use the BCS rankings just like they are now, as seedings for the 4 team playoff. In that format, quite literally nothing would have changed as far as scheduling goes, because the criteria is exactly the same.
If you think the BCS system is good, then why change at all? Just to get more teams in? There will ALWAYS be someone complaining about being left out. (Example: Utah was ranked #6 in the final BCS poll). The "we got shafted" complaints happen every year at the NCAA basketball tournament, despite that tournament taking the 6th and even 7th place teams from some conferences. All you're doing by expanding the pool is diluting the criteria for a national champion contender.

I'm not sure how we can "Say goodbye to good non-conference matchups during the regular season", because we don't really get that now. A 4 team playoff isn't going to affect that at all...if you want to get in you have to be in the top 4, and to do that you can't lose, and you have to play quality teams.
You must be joking. Look at the non-conference opponents of the undefeated BCS teams from 2004, with cumulative 5-year total record in parenthesis (looking at 5-year records accounts for advance scheduling):

USC
at VA Tech (47-17)
Colorado State (38-24)
at Bringham Young (32-29)
Notre Dame (35-25)

Oklahoma
Bowling Green (37-9)
Houston (18-40)
Oregon (41-20)

Auburn
Louisiana-Monroe (12-45)
Citadel (17-38 in freakin' Div II!!!)
Louisiana Tech (25-35)

Utah
Texas A&M (32-28)
at Arizona (19-38)
at Utah State (19-36)
North Carolina (25-35)

Note the difference in non-conference opponent records for the teams that got into the title game.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.