Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Baseball and daygames?

Old 04-22-05, 10:37 AM

Baseball and daygames?

I have always wondered why does baseball have day games during the week? Don't they lose money since the majority of people are at work? This is the only major sport that has day games during the week. Anybody know why?
Old 04-22-05, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, if you believe Lee Elia, all those day games are populated by jobless drunks (at Wrigley Field). The Cubs have a limited number of home night games because of an agreement with the city and the Wrigleyville area. Apparently the folks living there prefer their lawns get urinated on during the day more than the evening . . .

But other than Thursdays (getaway day) I don't see weekday games being that prevalent.
Old 04-22-05, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by neo247
This is the only major sport that has day games during the week.
Cricket has both Test matches and One Day internationals played on weekdays.
Old 04-22-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk God

I love baseball day games. I really don't like going to night games. I'm trying to get tix to next Wednesday's Nats game - 4:30 start. That's perfect.

The Nats drew over 30,000 to their 1:05 game yesterday and the weather wasn't nice (light rain).
Old 04-22-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I love baseball day games. I really don't like going to night games. I'm trying to get tix to next Wednesday's Nats game - 4:30 start. That's perfect.

The Nats drew over 30,000 to their 1:05 game yesterday and the weather wasn't nice (light rain).
yeah, but then again, it's DC. With all the federal workers, I can't think of another city in the country that is more suited for mid-week day games.
Old 04-22-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Its only been two weeks and that nickname, The Nats, has already become incredibly annoying.
Old 04-22-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not big on day games. Too damn hot to be sitting in the sun. I like night games with a nice cool breeze.

The day games are always big sellers for the Phillies. As far as TV ratings, I can't imagine they are as good as night games.
Old 04-26-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think there should be a rule that every day, at least one game is played as early as 3:00 ET
Old 04-26-05, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so i can watch it on MLBTV @ work!
Old 04-26-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Going to the Nats day game tomorrow. Hopefully, the rain stays away.
Old 04-26-05, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buisness day specials
Old 04-26-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Im pretty annoyed that there isnt a game on right now, for me to be listening to on XM
Old 04-26-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sundog
Well, if you believe Lee Elia, all those day games are populated by jobless drunks (at Wrigley Field). The Cubs have a limited number of home night games because of an agreement with the city and the Wrigleyville area. Apparently the folks living there prefer their lawns get urinated on during the day more than the evening . . .

But other than Thursdays (getaway day) I don't see weekday games being that prevalent.
Not to mention that Wrigley didn't get lights until 1988. The story is that they were supposed to get them during WWII, but the steel that was allocated to the lights had a better purpose fighting the war.

I suppose the issue was brought up from time to time afterwards, but it was never on the front burner.
Old 04-26-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Not to mention that Wrigley didn't get lights until 1988. The story is that they were supposed to get them during WWII, but the steel that was allocated to the lights had a better purpose fighting the war.

I suppose the issue was brought up from time to time afterwards, but it was never on the front burner.

Because fans spent more time bitching about some stupid goat and were too busy to realize that their stadium had no lights.