Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Biggest Draft Bust?

Old 04-19-05, 01:13 AM

Biggest Draft Bust?

I was watching ESPN's "Who's #1?" today and their topic was "Worst NFL Draft Busts". The moment I saw the topic, the name Ryan Leaf came to mind. Low and behold he was #1.

So which college player do you think was the biggest disappointment in professional sports? I figured to include all/any sports in this, since limiting it to football would leave out a considerable amount of candidates.
Old 04-19-05, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ryan Leaf without a doubt.
Old 04-19-05, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

1. Ryan Leaf
2. Ryan Leaf
3. Ryan Leaf
4. Ryan Leaf
Old 04-19-05, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ryan Leaf
Old 04-19-05, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Leaf, Ryan.
Old 04-19-05, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tony Mandarich-I can remember when Sports Illustrated was creaming their pants over this guy.

Heath Shuler

Kelly Stouffer

Steve Emtman

Rick Mirer

Ki-Jana Carter

Curtis Enis

Art Schlichter
Old 04-19-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Manco
Tony Mandarich-I can remember when Sports Illustrated was creaming their pants over this guy.

Heath Shuler

Kelly Stouffer

Steve Emtman

Rick Mirer

Ki-Jana Carter

Curtis Enis

Art Schlichter
good list, but you can add Akili Smith to that list.
Old 04-19-05, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Manco

Heath Shuler

Kelly Stouffer

Steve Emtman

Rick Mirer

Ki-Jana Carter

Curtis Enis

Art Schlichter

You forgot Ryan Leaf
Old 04-19-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Tony Mandarich was a bigger bust than Ryan Leaf.

I remember some skepticism about Leaf. Not everyone thought he would be a sure-fire Pro Bowler. There was a near-universal belief that Mandarich would be a stud-lineman for years.

I also think Emtman was a bigger bust that Leaf.
Old 04-19-05, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As a Warriors fan, Joe Smith will always rank as one of the biggest busts ever.
Old 04-19-05, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mandarich was called by SI (I believe) the best offensive line prospect of all time. Heck, I was only 12 at the time and I remember the hype surrounding the guy.

Has a team ever had a worse draft (or worse luck) than the Colts in 92 (was it?), when they had the top 2 picks and ended up with Steve Emtman and Quentin Coryatt?
Old 04-19-05, 10:57 AM
Banned

Andre Wadsworth was also a big bust (picked 3rd overall behind Manning and Leaf).
Old 04-19-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another one...

Blair Thomas
Old 04-19-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ryan Leaf
Andre Ware
Akili Smith
Dan McGwire
Todd Marinovich

Here hoping that my Niners don't pick a quarterback in the first.
Old 04-19-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, if we're going to be bringing up people down at the bottom of the first round like Marinovich, then we should also be mentioning guys like Cade McNown and Jim Druckenmiller
Old 04-19-05, 11:12 AM

I'll second Tony Mandarich and add Brian Bosworth, although he was in the supplemental draft.

Last edited by Shadow Ace; 04-19-05 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-19-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To be fair to Mandarich, while he flamed out spectacularly in Green Bay after all the hype, he did make a comeback and had two or three solid years in Indy as a starter before an injury forced him out. I don't think that can be said for anyone else mentioned here.
Old 04-19-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ki-Jana Carter literally blew out his knee in his first pre-season game. Is he really a bust in the traditional sense? He might have had a decent career if it wasn't for that.

I think Mandarich should get the edge over Leaf, only because the Packers could have had Barry or Deion instead (ouch!). While it's bad that San Diego (I believe) traded up to get Leaf, it's not like they chose him over Manning. It's kind of like the Lions getting stuck with Harrington

Man, I remember watching Leaf in college, thinking "this guy is can't miss". He was incredible to watch: a guy putting up unreal numbers seemingly effortlessly, and not in a gimmicky way like a David Klingler or an Andre Ware.
Old 04-19-05, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The pick after Ryan Leaf was Andre Wadsworth. The pick after Wadsworth was Charles Woodson, and the pick after Woodson was Curtis Enis.
The pick after Tony Mandarich was Barry Sanders. The pick after Sanders was Derrick Thomas, and the pick after Thomas was Deion Sanders.
I've got to give it to Mandarich. Despite actually having a nondescript career, nothing but hall of famers were drafted the 45 minutes after him.
Old 04-19-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cleaver
The pick after Ryan Leaf was Andre Wadsworth. The pick after Wadsworth was Charles Woodson, and the pick after Woodson was Curtis Enis.
The pick after Tony Mandarich was Barry Sanders. The pick after Sanders was Derrick Thomas, and the pick after Thomas was Deion Sanders.
I've got to give it to Mandarich. Despite actually having a nondescript career, nothing but hall of famers were drafted the 45 minutes after him.
If we're using that as a criteria, then isn't Sam Bowie still the greatest bust in history, with Jordan, Perkins, and Charles Barkley picked right after him?

As a USC fan who's suffered through many basketball seasons, seeing Harold Miner crash and burn after all the baby Jordan publicity was very sad. Then again, our rivals UCLA have had to suffer through both O'bannons and everyone else on that championship team before Baron Davis came along and gave the Bruins someone in the NBA to root for. Not to mention Cade Mcnown...

though to be fair, I guess I also have to mention Rob Johnson, who had a job in the league much longer than he should have, and everyone's favorite "prototypical" quaterback Marinovich, who weren't high picks, but were busts nonetheless. Please don't add Carson Palmer and Leinart to this list someday...

Last edited by fujishig; 04-19-05 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-19-05, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PaperStreetSoapCo
I was watching ESPN's "Who's #1?" today and their topic was "Worst NFL Draft Busts". The moment I saw the topic, the name Ryan Leaf came to mind. Low and behold he was #1.
That's by far the best "Who's #1?" episode I've seen. The show tends to be really glib, but this one was focused and cutting. Venom brings out the best in sports writers.
Old 04-19-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
Well, if we're going to be bringing up people down at the bottom of the first round like Marinovich, then we should also be mentioning guys like Cade McNown and Jim Druckenmiller
Drunkenmiller was one of the last picks in the first round and McNown was a mid first rounder. Althoug both were clearly busts, I wouldn't call them monumental busts. I'd consider big time busts at least a top 5 pick.
Old 04-19-05, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dimitrius Underwood
Old 04-19-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Daryl
Ki-Jana Carter literally blew out his knee in his first pre-season game. Is he really a bust in the traditional sense? He might have had a decent career if it wasn't for that.
Same thing with Steve Emtman, who was a monster in college and probably would have a good career if not for the injuries.

I'll also add to the main list Brian Bosworth, though he was a supplemental pick (but certainly would have gone high had he gone through normal channels). Yeah, he had injuries too, but they were of his own doing.
Old 04-19-05, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Da Thrilla
Dimitrius Underwood
He was picked #28.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.