Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Monday Night Football... to ESPN!

Old 04-18-05, 05:28 PM

Monday Night Football... to ESPN!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2040130

Wow.
Old 04-18-05, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In a related story, ABC has announced two new shows, Desperate Housewives: Miami and Desperate Housewives: NY, for the fall '06 schedule.
Old 04-18-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So who gets the Monday night game, Al Michaels and John Madden or the Mike Patrick trio that normally does Sunday nights?
Old 04-18-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hopefully we get the Mike Patrick trio. I always enjoyed how those guys called a football game.
Old 04-18-05, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dan Patrick and Stewart Scott...
Old 04-18-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Football shuffle: MNF to ESPN; NBC gets Sundays
By Michael Hiestand, USA TODAY
NBC has confirmed that it will return to covering NFL games for the first time since the 1997 season.

In a six-year deal starting in 2006, NBC will pay an average of $600 million per year for Sunday night games in a TV package that will also include the Super Bowl and Pro Bowl games in 2009 and 2012, as well as the NFL's annual Thursday night opening game. NBC's Sunday night games will be based on flexible scheduling, giving NBC the chance to move games from Sunday afternoons to primetime.

And Disney's ABC, which has aired Monday night NFL games since 1970, will end its coverage. Disney's ESPN will inherit Monday night games starting in 2006, in a deal worth about $1.1 billion per year. The deal will not include any Super Bowl games.

The Monday night move from network TV to basic cable had been hinted at continually by commissioner Paul Tagliabue. The league is expected to get $1.1 billion over eight years from the network, according to two sources familiar with the deals who spoke to The Associated Press under condition of anonymity.

ABC and ESPN are both subsidiaries of the Walt Disney Co. The deal with ESPN, which currently carries games every Sunday night and sometimes on Thursday, was first reported by The Wall Street Journal.

Last month, Tagliabue said during the NFL meetings in Hawaii that the Monday night move was a strong possibility. ABC, which has been losing money on the package despite high ratings, had been balking at the NFL's asking price.

CBS and Fox already have agreed to pay a total of $8 billion over six years for the Sunday AFC and NFC rights.

That has become more pressing since parity caused by the salary cap has resulted in teams moving up and down the standings annually, leaving bad teams that were strong the previous season in prime time and good teams that were bad the past season off of it.

The NFL is still considering separate packages for Thursday and late-season Saturday nights.
Never was a fan of NBC's NFL coverage. The best part is that allows for flex scheduling.
Old 04-18-05, 06:25 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

sad news.
Old 04-18-05, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow. So wait, the ESPN Sunday night games to go NBC now? Am I interpreting that correctly?

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
In a related story, ABC has announced two new shows, Desperate Housewives: Miami and Desperate Housewives: NY, for the fall '06 schedule.
Old 04-18-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg

And don't forget "Found".
Old 04-18-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yahoooooooo.... wait.... i have them both in HD
Old 04-18-05, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk God

This announcement means nothing for the HD crowd. Unless you don't have ESPN and you can get your NBC local in HD, then it means one more game on Sunday, but one less game on Monday. So it's basically a wash.

I just like the Sunday night ESPN guys. Hopefully they put them somewhere.
Old 04-18-05, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hopefully it starts at 8 PM EST instead of 9.
Old 04-18-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Hopefully it starts at 8 PM EST instead of 9.

Fat chance. Plus I bet NBC uses a 9 pm start time for SNF instead of 8:30.
Old 04-18-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is no big surprise - ABC and ESPN are essentially the same company, and I'm sure Disney is sick of worrying about the FCC with their ABC broadcasts. Both Al McGuire and Dan Patrick may be considering retirement by 2006, and even if Madden isn't I wouldn't be surprised to see Theisman join Michaels and Madden in the booth for a three-man team.
Old 04-18-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This is no big surprise - ABC and ESPN are essentially the same company, and I'm sure Disney is sick of worrying about the FCC with their ABC broadcasts. Both Al McGuire and Dan Patrick may be considering retirement by 2006, and even if Madden isn't I wouldn't be surprised to see Theisman join Michaels and Madden in the booth for a three-man team.

I would be very surprised. Madden has never worked in a 3-man booth and I doubt he would start doing so now.
Old 04-18-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Dan Patrick and Stewart Scott...
Would guarantee I would never see another MNF game in my entire life.
Old 04-18-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This is no big surprise - ABC and ESPN are essentially the same company, and I'm sure Disney is sick of worrying about the FCC with their ABC broadcasts.
I wonder if that's a big enough reason to move MNF. I also wonder if ABC and ESPN bid against each other as separate entities, and ESPN just won.

Because taking MNF from ABC opens up a HUGE hole in their lineup, not to mention moving a staple of American television. Even with the controversy with announcers or games between poor teams, it was still a ratings juggernaut, wasn't it? And leaves ABC with no NFL at all...

I guess most people have cable now, but surely they'll lose some viewership, right? I'm still mad about when the NBA moved from NBC after I grew up watching it there, and years later when they relegated the pre-all-star game festivities to TNT.
Old 04-18-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess NBC has some time to staff up their football coverages, but who? NBC Sports has been pretty gutted since they don't really cover anything major outside of the Olympics. Would they be willing to spend some big dough to bring someone in?

I know some people don't really like him too much, and baseballs more his thing, but Costas on football might be interesting.....maybe the studio show.
Old 04-18-05, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seems to be a lot of football to go around for everybody. And it guarantees "free" pro football at least until 2011.
Old 04-18-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This AP article says that ESPN's MNF will start at 8:40PM Eastern and NBC's Sunday night game will start at 8:15.
Old 04-19-05, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm surprised...

...You folks aren't talking about what NBC getting a Sunday night football game on over-air broadcast (pregame starts at 1900 hours ET, kickoff at 2015 ET) will do to Sunday night TV viewing in general, especially since Sunday nights have the highest number of viewers of any night of TV.

This is especially since the NFL has given NBC flexibility to find the best matchup they can get, which could mean a lot of very good games being shown on NBC. That could dramatically alter viewership on Sunday nights, and as such could change the ratings on ABC, CBS, Fox, WB and UPN on Sunday night prime time in the Fall. It could even force premium pay networks like HBO and Showtime to move their original programming premieres to another night for the same reason.
Old 04-19-05, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Actually this will help NBC the more that you think about it. They can take whatever shows they have on Sunday nights, and throw them on another night. Fans of the shows will mostly stay loyal. That way NBC doesn't have to come up with a ton of new shows.

Or, they can pull what FOX did w/ 24 and wait until football is over. Premiere the shows in January, and ride it out all the way until May/June w/o any hiatus.
Old 04-19-05, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this is sad news...football will not be the same
Old 04-19-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
This announcement means nothing for the HD crowd. Unless you don't have ESPN and you can get your NBC local in HD, then it means one more game on Sunday, but one less game on Monday. So it's basically a wash.

I just like the Sunday night ESPN guys. Hopefully they put them somewhere.
That's not at all true for me. The local cable company does not carry HD ABC in my area, but does carry NBC, CBS, Fox, and ESPN. It was always aggravating not to be able to see MNF in HD (on ABC), but then switch over to see the highlights on ESPN in HD and be reminded of what I had been missing all evening.

On the other hand, this does mean one NFL game a week with no score or clock on the screen the entire game.
Old 04-19-05, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
That's not at all true for me. The local cable company does not carry HD ABC in my area, but does carry NBC, CBS, Fox, and ESPN. It was always aggravating not to be able to see MNF in HD (on ABC), but then switch over to see the highlights on ESPN in HD and be reminded of what I had been missing all evening.

On the other hand, this does mean one NFL game a week with no score or clock on the screen the entire game.
True. I was basing the fact that I can get OTA feeds of HD. I guess that's not true in all locations. Good point.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.