Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

LOL:Red Sox announce resolution of fan interference incident

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 04-18-05, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BOSTON, MA -- Following a four-day investigation into the Thursday night incident at Fenway Park in which New York Yankees right fielder Gary Sheffield was struck by one fan and doused with beer by a second fan while chasing a batted ball into the right field corner, the Red Sox today announced the following resolution:
1. The fan who interfered with play by making contact with Sheffield while he was fielding a ball in play will have his season ticket privileges revoked for the remainder of the 2005 season. The club will consider reinstatement thereafter. (He will receive full reimbursement upon returning his tickets.)

This action is in accordance with the season ticket agreement to which each season ticket holder agrees. That agreement specifically provides that "Interfering with the play of the game in any way will not be tolerated and will be grounds for ejection from the premises, legal prosecution, recission of tickets, and cancellation of subscription privileges."

2. The fan who interfered with play by dousing Sheffield with a beer while he was fielding a ball in play will be prohibited from purchasing tickets for the remainder of 2005.

"Nearly all of our fans are respectful of the rules of baseball etiquette," said Red Sox Chief Operating Officer Mike Dee, who announced the decision. "We hope this will be a warning to the fans who have the opportunity to sit in the first few rows that our policies against interfering with play will be enforced."

"The Red Sox front office and Major League Baseball Security conducted a thorough inquiry that included, among other things, the detailed reviews of video, interviews with those who were directly involved, witnesses to the altercation, fans who sit in Box 86, and security and police personnel who were in the vicinity," said Kevin Hallinan, Major League Baseball's Senior Vice President/Security and Facilities. "Fan interference of any kind is taken seriously at Fenway Park and throughout Major League Baseball."

"Given our ballpark's intimacy, we will be vigilant in maintaining Fenway Park's comfortable atmosphere," said Red Sox Director of Security Charlie Cellucci. "But interfering with opposing players fielding a ball in play is unacceptable and will not be tolerated."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Nelson Voice)HA HA(Nelson voice)
Old 04-18-05, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

those 2 fans should receive lifetime bans to Sox games, esp. that retard that threw the beer on Sheff.
Old 04-18-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by raven56706
2. The fan who interfered with play by dousing Sheffield with a beer while he was fielding a ball in play will be prohibited from purchasing tickets for the remainder of 2005.

That will teach people.
Old 04-18-05, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a Sox fan, I have to say, this is awesome
Old 04-18-05, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
those 2 fans should receive lifetime bans to Sox games, esp. that retard that threw the beer on Sheff.

I don't know how exactly this could be enforced, but the thought was nice.

Both fans should be arrested for trespassing and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
Old 04-18-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

How do you go about enforcing a ban on buying tickets?
Old 04-18-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I'm a Yankee fan and glad, this kind of shit isn't new (trying to touch a ball in play) and they had to do "something" to show they won't tolderate the crap..Fan's interfere with balls in play happens semi often, but usually never make contact with players (on purpose, or accident) ..I think they just put up new signs saying "don't touch the ball in play" or something, which probably should have already been there, but you would think common sense would tell people not to ..and becides that, why interefere with a play for the home team, which would only make things worse for them ..at least try to screw over the visiting team..ah well..
Old 04-18-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by pilot
While I'm a Yankee fan and glad, this kind of shit isn't new (trying to touch a ball in play) and they had to do "something" to show they won't tolderate the crap..Fan's interfere with balls in play happens semi often, but usually never make contact with players (on purpose, or accident) ..I think they just put up new signs saying "don't touch the ball in play" or something, which probably should have already been there, but you would think common sense would tell people not to ..and becides that, why interefere with a play for the home team, which would only make things worse for them ..at least try to screw over the visiting team..ah well..

Maybe too the Yanks can learn this lesson instead of rewarding ball-interfering wrongdoers with front row playoff tickets.
Old 04-18-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones
post pictures of those 2 jerks at the ticket windows and the gates so that they're not allowed in the stadium anymore.

A lifetime ban to Red Sox games for any hardcore fan is almost as bad as never being allowed to have sex again.
Old 04-18-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

post pictures of those 2 jerks at the ticket windows and the gates so that they're not allowed in the stadium anymore.

A lifetime ban to Red Sox games for any hardcore fan is almost as bad as never being allowed to have sex again.
Like some ticket taker guy is going to give a flying rats ass if the guy comes in. I guarantee with a little facial hair and a hat, nobody could recognize the guy.
Old 04-18-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Let's be real - that might work for the ticket windows, but ticket takers aren't going to be able to enforce that effectively.
Old 04-18-05, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Maybe too the Yanks can learn this lesson instead of rewarding ball-interfering wrongdoers with front row playoff tickets.
Jeffrey Fucking Maier.
Old 04-18-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I get a strange feeling Steinbrenner's gracious response to this action wouldn't have been quite so respectful if Henry and the ownership team had pulled out something from his little bag of tricks instead. Steinbrenner's response should have read "Thanks for not being assholes like I would have."
Old 04-18-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
Espically online.
Old 04-18-05, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-18-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by raven56706
To all those mocking me, I'm sure that if they can enforce a season ban, they can probably enforce a lifetime ban with very little problem.
Old 04-18-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk God

To all those mocking me, I'm sure that if they can enforce a season ban, they can probably enforce a lifetime ban with very little problem.

Key word: IF.

It isn't like Homer not allowing Bart to see the Itchy & Scratchy Movie (with the don't sell a ticket to this boy notice) at the one theater in town.
Old 04-18-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it will be the same as any kid who gets caught stealing in the mall.....they ban you for a year....in 3 months you come back...as long as no one catches you no big deal...problem this guy has....his face has been on sports center all week, and someone at the park could recognize him....thats a lot of memories to swipe....they tell a police officer....arrested for trespassing....

I wonder if he'll risk it.

Looks like a nice set of seats are open....even if you do have to watch the Red Sox
Old 04-18-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cameron
it will be the same as any kid who gets caught stealing in the mall.....they ban you for a year....in 3 months you come back...as long as no one catches you no big deal...problem this guy has....his face has been on sports center all week, and someone at the park could recognize him....thats a lot of memories to swipe....they tell a police officer....arrested for trespassing....

I wonder if he'll risk it.

Looks like a nice set of seats are open....even if you do have to watch the Red Sox

Everybody, there's a new .... king in town.
Old 04-18-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They would have been better off with imprisonment or fines on these guys rather than these bans. I fail to see how the Red Sox will keep these two out of their ballpark...
Old 04-18-05, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't believe bullshit like this is still happening, what the hell is wrong with people?
Old 04-19-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why refund his money? He fucked up, so he should eat the loss.