Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Great day at a minor league game today

Old 04-17-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great day at a minor league game today

I took my son down to Beloit WI to see the Snappers angainst the Lansing Lugnuts.

Carlos Silva of the Twins (Beloit's parent club) was in town to make a rehab start. He's been a favorite of my son's since he threw him a ball during BP at Miller park two years ago. We brought a baseball to try for autographs, since the ballpark in Beloit is an old fashioned place - the players have to walk down the same concourse as the fans to get to the field because the clubhouse is behind the seats behind home plate.

My kid filled up the ball we brought with autographs, then was getting sigs on a ball he got at the batting cage. The game went on (75 degrees and sunny - pretty good for Wisconsin in April), and Silva went 5 strong innings. After he was done, he went out to the bullpen for a bit more work, then was heading for the gate and the clubhouse. My son got him to sign an autograph (Carlos signed for a lot of people - good guy), and then after the game he got a few more from other players.

The last autograph he got was from the catcher on the Snappers, Korey Feiner. Korey proceeded to give my kid a bat that he cracked that day. My son has gotten a lot of baseballs, but never a bat at a game until today. Korey, I hope you make to the bigs. We'll be following your career!
Old 04-17-05, 11:35 PM
Retired

That's awesome. What a great day for your son!

It's refreshing to see players who aren't prima donnas and realize that they're in a lucky position and that the fans are the ones paying their salaries.
Old 04-18-05, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

great stuff man....your kid will never forget that one....need to catch a sounds game here in town....and a new stadium is on the way....can't wait
Old 04-18-05, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like your son had a day to remember

I've never been to a minor league game but I heard they are alot of fun, and in some cases more exciting then the majors.

The Lancaster Jethawks (the Diamondbacks affiliate) play out here, so I should check out one of their games.