Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

T.O. wants a new deal.

Old 04-14-05, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

T.O. wants a new deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2037602

Agent: T.O. has 'sub-standard deal'

Terrell Owens already wants a new contract from the Philadelphia Eagles before he starts his second season with the team.

Owens, who helped lead the Eagles to the Super Bowl in his first season in Philadelphia, is looking to renegotiate the seven-year deal worth almost $49 million he signed last March.

"This is not about me being greedy or selfish," Owens told The Philadelphia Inquirer for Thursday's editions. "I was called selfish for trying to come back and play in the Super Bowl. I just want people to think about what they're hearing from all these reports about me being greedy. Just take a moment and look at my stature in the game."

Owens set team records with 14 touchdown receptions and seven 100-yard games, and finished with 77 catches for 1,200 yards. He broke his leg and severely sprained his right ankle in Week 15 against Dallas, an injury that sidelined him until the Super Bowl.

Owens defied his doctor's advice by returning to the starting lineup against New England just 6 weeks after ankle surgery, and was Philadelphia's best player on offense. He caught nine passes for 122 yards in the Eagles' 24-21 loss to the Patriots.

Owens fired longtime agent David Joseph and hired Drew Rosenhaus, who met with Eagles president Joe Banner last week. Last year, Joseph failed to file papers that would have made Owens a free agent from San Francisco. Instead, Owens protested a trade from the 49ers to Baltimore, refused to show up for a physical and eventually the three teams agreed to a trade before an arbitrator could rule on the case.

Rosenhaus, in an interview with Dan Patrick on the Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio, said Owens was forced to take a "sub-standard deal" with the Eagles.

"The NFL got him out of the trade [to Baltimore]," Rosenhaus said. "They brokered a deal to the Eagles, but he had to take a sub-standard deal because he had no leverage."

"Everyone knows my former agent settled for a low-ball number because of my situation last season when Baltimore traded for me," Owens said. "He told me he couldn't get a cent more, knowing I deserved more than they gave me.

"They used their leverage to strong-arm us because they knew I wanted to leave Baltimore for Philadelphia, and they capitalized on it. I can't go for that now. It's not in me to do that."

According to Rosenhaus, the contract Owens signed "sounds great on paper, but in the first two years of the deal he is not even in the top ten highest paid receivers in the NFL."

The playmaking, showboating, brash-talking Owens lived up to his hype in Philadelphia, delivering everything from his innovative touchdown celebrations to his outrageous antics -- including a steamy segment with actress Nicollette Sheridan for an intro to "Monday Night Football."

"I know I'm a top player in the game, and my current contract doesn't justify that," Owens said. "The fact that I signed this contract, that I'm under contract, doesn't factor into anything when it comes to the National Football League. [The Eagles] can cut me anytime they want to -- even if I'm performing well, I'm healthy and I'm putting up numbers, just because they don't want to pay a player that money.

"If they can do what's best for their financial future, then why can't I?"

Rosenhaus echoed Owens' comments, pointing to teams' ability to part ways with players despite signing them to long-term contracts.

"He was nothing short of remarkable last year with the Eagles," Rosenhaus told Patrick. "He absolutely outperformed his deal. I've had many players ... [who] have been cut when they underperformed despite having just did a multi-year deal the year before like Hugh Douglas with the Jaguars.

"... Why can't we say that he outperformed this deal which was done under poor circumstances. What's wrong with that?"

TO needs to shut up and play. I haven't heard anything about the Eagles saying they won't pay him. TO, you signed a contract. Honor it.
Old 04-14-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, I dont mind him asking for more. There's no loyalty on the other end so I say get the cash while you can.
Old 04-14-05, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm begining to trust much that comes from ESPN. Last week they stated and teased a segment about how unhappy Cowboys reciever Keyshawn Johnson was with his contract in Dallas. Turns out that Keyshawn doesn't know where ESPN got the quotes for that story. There is no contract disputes in Dallas and as much as I would love to see this become a problem in Philly, I don't believe there is any problem in the Eagles organization. Owens will get his contract restructured because the Eagles believe he is the person that got them a S.B. appearance.
Old 04-15-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They showed a clip of him on ESPN from another show where he was talking about this and he was crying.

I almost cried too, from laughing so hard.
Old 04-15-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk God

"I have to think about myself and my family"

So wait, you can't take care of your family on $49 million?
Old 04-15-05, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
"I have to think about myself and my family"

So wait, you can't take care of your family on $49 million?
If he can get more why not? NFL teams certainly have no problems cutting whoever to save themselves money.
Old 04-15-05, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You know....

Sure he's worth more money, but he signed the contract!
Old 04-15-05, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

imagine he sits out... .... and joins the Patriots
Old 04-15-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706
imagine he sits out... .... and joins the Patriots
No thanks. We're all set at WR. We just signed David Terrell.
Old 04-15-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

TO is an ass, but I have no sympathy for Philly. They should have considered his history and known something would eventually happen.
Old 04-15-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

TO is a moron but he is an awesome moron.

Dont worry TO, your welcomed here in NY. Because you wouldnt be able to do that to Tom Coughlin
Old 04-15-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Eagles should restructure his contract and make him happy. He may act like a prima donna bitch from time to time, but he's a fucking stud on the field. The Eagles wouldn't have made it to the Super Bowl without him and they certainly won't return without him.

He's got Randy Moss talent, Keyshawn Johnson toughness, and a Jerry Rice work ethic. No one else comes close.
Old 04-15-05, 10:47 AM

I don't get why people complain when players ask for more money? It has nothing to do with whether or not you think he makes enough right now or not...it has to do with whether he is worth the raise. It's no different than any employee in any company asking for a raise...it's just that T.O. is on tv doing it. Would you work at a job that paid you less than the going rate for people with similar skills? Why should he?

And as stated above there is no loyalty from the organization so this becomes a purely business decision. The team is making tons of money from his play so why shouldn't he ask that he be compensated for it. And no one can deny that T.O. made McNabb look good last year and essentially carried the Eagles to and in the Super Bowl.
Old 04-15-05, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
If he can get more why not? NFL teams certainly have no problems cutting whoever to save themselves money.

Well, I don't know. Maybe because he signed a fucking contract? Jesus. This what is wrong with sports and life in general. People don't hold up their end of deals like this.
Old 04-15-05, 11:15 AM

Well, I don't know. Maybe because he signed a fucking contract? Jesus. This what is wrong with sports and life in general. People don't hold up their end of deals like this.

But if the Eagles don't have much of an obligation to hold up their end of the contract, why should T.O.?
Old 04-15-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the existing deal was guaranteed, I'd agree with you.
Old 04-15-05, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk God

That argument doesn't really work for NFL contracts. Few long-term contracts last for the duration. Teams routinely cut players (with no further obligation) with years left on the contract.
Old 04-15-05, 11:50 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by raven56706
TO is a moron but he is an awesome moron.

Dont worry TO, your welcomed here in NY. Because you wouldnt be able to do that to Tom Coughlin
TO would be a nightmare with Coughlin. He'd be sulky and probably wouldn't play well just to spite the coach. That's a major bad fit.
Old 04-15-05, 12:04 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by jmoneta
But if the Eagles don't have much of an obligation to hold up their end of the contract, why should T.O.?
Because he signed the fucking contract. If he wanted to have a way out, he shouldn't have signed the fucking contract. If he wanted his money guaranteed, he shouldn't have signed the fucking contract. He needs to live up to the terms of his fucking contract, or be a bitch and retire like Ricky Williams.
Old 04-15-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by AndyCapps
Because he signed the fucking contract. If he wanted to have a way out, he shouldn't have signed the fucking contract. If he wanted his money guaranteed, he shouldn't have signed the fucking contract. He needs to live up to the terms of his fucking contract, or be a bitch and retire like Ricky Williams.

Do you have the same reaction when a team releases a player who has several years left on a contract (and don't owe him another dime as a result)? This happens all the time - in fact, far more often than player holdouts for more money.
Old 04-15-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by AndyCapps
Exactly. Who cares if the Eagles can cut him? He can always walk away from his contract too. Sure he can't play in the NFL again (most likely), but the situation goes both ways.

It always amazes me when it comes to situations like this, people have no honor or loyalty. It's always about how much money they can get as quickly as possible.
Old 04-15-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Do you have the same reaction when a team releases a player who has several years left on a contract (and don't owe him another dime as a result)? This happens all the time - in fact, far more often than player holdouts for more money.
Why should the NFL be held to a different standard than any other business? As far as I know, you can be released from other contracts in other aspects of business too.
Old 04-15-05, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Exactly. Who cares if the Eagles can cut him? He can always walk away from his contract too. Sure he can't play in the NFL again (most likely), but the situation goes both ways.

It obviously doesn't cut both ways if he can't play anymore but the team just continues business as usual.
Old 04-15-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Why should the NFL be held to a different standard than any other business? As far as I know, you can be released from other contracts in other aspects of business too.

Because the nature of the business is different than other sports and other businesses. Team employers have the luxury of getting out of contracts with no negative ramifications (except for potential cap hits) whereas the players do not have the same luxury.

The point is that if you are going bitch at TO for not honoring his contract, then you need to bitch at every single (and far more numerous) instance of team cutting a player with time left on the contract. If you don't, you are a hypocrite.
Old 04-15-05, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Because the nature of the business is different than other sports and other businesses. Team employers have the luxury of getting out of contracts with no negative ramifications (except for potential cap hits) whereas the players do not have the same luxury.

The point is that if you are going bitch at TO for not honoring his contract, then you need to bitch at every single (and far more numerous) instance of team cutting a player with time left on the contract. If you don't, you are a hypocrite.
While I'd agree with that somewhat, I'd also disagree. Teams that cut guys are more often than not doing it for either cap space or performance issues. Usually that cut player will sign another deal elsewhere. So it's not like the guy gets cut and then just disappears from the league. My feelings are if the guy signs a huge deal and doesn't live up to the deal in performance, being cut is the nature of the game.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.