sheffield vs boston

Thoughts?
Old 04-14-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eject the fan

Suspend Sheffield
Old 04-14-05, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I dont blame Sheffield at all. The guy took a swipe at him and he reacted. At least he didn't go into the stands or throw something at him.
Old 04-14-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think any of the poll options are valid, except that Shef's jerk status was well in place long before tonight. The fan reached over, but he wasn't even looking at Sheffield when he brought his arm up and hit him. I think he was going to go for the ball, but pulled his arm back and hit him by accident. Sheffield pushed him, but shouldn't have. Both need to keep their hands to themselves. Blown completely out of proportion.
Old 04-14-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's with fans thinking they have ANY right to interject themselves in a physical manner in the game? FUCK them for thinking that way. Yes, they pay the ticket price. But that's to watch a game; not to make yourself part of it in a physical manner. These people who think that just because they shelled out 30 bucks, they have a right to do shit like this. I wish Sheff would've made solid contact.
Old 04-14-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

agreed...i raised hell, when fights broke out in the nba...and i think sheff showed as much as was needed...i would have layed that guy out, but he was sound of mind...just wish he would have tossed the ball before taking the swing.
Old 04-14-05, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
I don't think any of the poll options are valid, except that Shef's jerk status was well in place long before tonight. The fan reached over, but he wasn't even looking at Sheffield when he brought his arm up and hit him. I think he was going to go for the ball, but pulled his arm back and hit him by accident. Sheffield pushed him, but shouldn't have. Both need to keep their hands to themselves. Blown completely out of proportion.
the ball was in fair play, why was the fan reaching over in the first place?
Old 04-14-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bigsoos
the ball was in fair play, why was the fan reaching over in the first place?
As I said in the MLB thread, fans who reach over the stands for fair balls hit by the home team (by any team) need to be subjected to intense testicular battery. That doesn't mean the player needs to be the one to do it. I'm not saying the guy is a choir boy, or that Sheffield is Satan. They're both wrong.
Old 04-14-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
I wish Sheff would've made solid contact.
Yeah, that's all we need. That would really help the whole situation.

But to the rest of your post I agree. Fans should know their place at a sporting event and leave it at that. However this is nothing new, this has happened over many many years.
Old 04-15-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know it would've made things worse and could've opened up the floodgates resulting in Detroit Part II. It's just these idiot fans refuse to get a dose of common sense and understand that their participation begins and ends with watching the game from their seats.
Old 04-15-05, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
I know it would've made things worse and could've opened up the floodgates resulting in Detroit Part II. It's just these idiot fans refuse to get a dose of common sense and understand that their participation begins and ends with watching the game from their seats.
I know what you mean. I took a measure of satisfaction when Jermaine O'Neal clocked that one fat ass who was dumb enough to run onto the floor.
Old 04-15-05, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was obviously an unintentional grazing, and Sheffield overreacted a little bit. The guy wasn't even looking at Sheffield, he was looking down the line. Maybe Sheffield was on his period or something.
Old 04-15-05, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
They showed it ad nauseum on YES, and I agree that the fan accidentally hit Sheffield in the face.

Now, what the fan was actually trying to do, I'm not sure: obstruct Sheffield's vision on the play, just pull his arm up and away from the play, knock Sheffield's hat off, I just don't know....
Old 04-15-05, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just another reason why I hate Boston Red Sox fans...
Old 04-15-05, 06:15 AM

Arrest the fan, then after reviewing the tape, let him go, admonishing him to keep his mitts off the field of play.

Sheff over-reacted, but he probably thought the dude took a swipe at him, and what else would he think?
Old 04-15-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If reaching over and interfering with the ball deserves a beatdown, that kid that caught Jeter's "home run" ball deserves to be pounded into a bloody pulp
Old 04-15-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Clock that Boston Bastard.

And now can the rest of the world, particularly the media, shut the fuck up about the Boston Red Sox and the New York Yankees! For five minutes - just shut the hell up.
Old 04-15-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sheffield should have beat the shit out of him.

The fan is very lucky that he didnt get hit by his steriod arm.
Old 04-15-05, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WTF is wrong with you people? He should get the shit beaten out of him for accidently touching a player who was right up against the wall? And Sheffield should be the one to do that?
Old 04-15-05, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The fan intentionally put his hand down.... tell me who accidentally does that....
Old 04-15-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So you think he was punching Sheffield? Without looking at him?
Old 04-15-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll say this though:

That fan--if he's a season-ticket holder--should have his season-ticket priviledges revoked. Having seen the incident on ESPN SportsCenter I think this whole debacle was mostly the fan's fault, so there.
Old 04-15-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He isnt getting his tickets revoked.
Old 04-15-05, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23

I'm sure there are no bad apples in whatever region you live.
No pun intended right?
Old 04-15-05, 09:34 AM

This is so overhyped and talked about. I can't get over the big deal theiry making out of it..

It was an unintentional grazing.. and Sheff overracted. At least it didn't get worse. I would love to see some yankees players go into the stands at Fenway, talk about a good time. haha

I think they did the right thing, ejected the guy, let him keep his season tix etc. only thing I think also should have happened was sheff to be ejected from the game or fined. He shouldn't have thrown a punch because somebody graze his face intential or not.. which I belive it wasn't. It's not like the guy punched him or something.

Also I think you guys are nuts, thinking him putting his hand down is some sin, maybe you missed the other 5-6 people trying to also grab the ball. That crap happens at every park, and until you're the same situation, you don't know if you would remember I shouldn't prob try to grab the ball..

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.