Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Ultimate Fighter Finale

Old 04-10-05, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Ultimate Fighter Finale

I'm not sure if this belongs here or the TV forum, but since I want to discuss the fights I though this would be the better place.

For those that gave up on the show early on, the finale faced off the two top middleweights (Diego Garcia vs. Kenny Florian) and the top two light heavyweights (Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar), with the winner to receive a "six-figure contract". Knowing the UFC they probably include the two figures to the right of the decimal point, but I digress... As a bonus, the last fight pitted Ken Shamrock vs. Rich Franklin. This was the first live UFC event to be shown on non-PPV TV.

The light heavyweight match may have been one of the best MMA fights I've ever seen, and I've been following the sport for over 10 years. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who wants to catch the replay on Spike TV, but this was a knock-down, drag-out battle. If you like a lot of strategy and maneuvering in your fights... well don't bother watching this one. The majority of the fight was just two guys swinging for the fences (and landing quite a bit), right up until the very end.

The other two fights were entertaining as well, but the middle fight made the others pale in comparison. If anyone wants to catch the replay, Spike TV is showing it 4/10 at 10:00PM, and 4/11 at 11:05PM.
Old 04-10-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have to preface this by saying i've never watched a UFC fight in its entirety. I've watched a few minutes here and there, but not much.

My friend who loves this stuff convinced me to watch the show last night, since it was "free". I figured i had nothing better to do (i was on newborn duty), so i watched. I almost turned it off after hte first fight because i just thought it couldn't be any lamer than that.

Thank god i didn't. That 2nd fight was unlike anything i've ever seen in my life. I could not believe these two guys. You can train all you want, get huge, go on steroids, etc. but you can't train to be able to take those punches/kicks/knees to the head and not go down. I was absolutely floored by this fight.

I feel however that this was probably a bad thing, because i doubt i'll ever see a fight like that again.

If you have ANY interest in this stuff, and even if you don't, i can't recommend watching it tonight enough.
Old 04-10-05, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was disappointed with the Diego/Kenny match. I thought Kenny would've given him more trouble.

Forrest/Stephan was the best MMA fight I have ever seen. Both of these guys have granite jaws. No idea how one of them didn't drop with some of the knees/punches/elbows they were throwing/receiving.

I was disappointed with the Shamrock/Franklin match. Shamrock just looked old and tired.

I hope Spike has another show with the undercard of the rest of the Ultimate Fighter participants. Saw the results on another site, and it's something I'd like to see.

The replay tonight is something you should definitely watch.
Old 04-10-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My first viewing of an MMA program was UFC 5, and I have to agree with others that the F/S fight was one of the best I've seen. They'd have been fools indeed to not offer them both contracts after that! I'm quite looking forward to the replay .
Old 04-10-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've never paid for a pay-per-view. Never thought I ever would. But if they had a rematch of those two, I'd pay to see it.
Old 04-10-05, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I pretty much agree with all of you. I've followed UFC off and on since it started, and I just watched the light heavyweight match on tivo. Instant classic. I really appreciate that they let the match go on even though Forrest was continuously bleeding.
Old 04-10-05, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
I was disappointed with the Diego/Kenny match. I thought Kenny would've given him more trouble.

Forrest/Stephan was the best MMA fight I have ever seen. Both of these guys have granite jaws. No idea how one of them didn't drop with some of the knees/punches/elbows they were throwing/receiving.

Kenny really should be fighting at 170 or 155, he's just too small to be fighting at middleweight.

The fight was a great fight. I'm not sure it was the best UFC fight ever (and there have definately been some better ones in Pride), it was exactly the kind of fight the company needed.

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 04-10-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by krazykat72
Kenny really should be fighting at 170 or 155, he's just too small to be fighting at middleweight.

The fight was a great fight. I'm not sure it was the best UFC fight ever (and there have definately been some better ones in Pride), it was exactly the kind of fight the company needed.

-Paul Jacobi-
Obviously "best fight ever" is subjective, but I've never had a 15 minute adrenaline rush like I did watching this fight. I watched it around midnight and couldn't fall asleep until about 4AM I was so pumped up.

It wasn't the best technical fight, but for pure excitement and entertainment there haven't been many others (Pride or UFC) that I've seen that can stand up to this one. From start to finish this was a slugfest, and the end capped it off perfectly (both fighters getting a UFC contract, plus their humorous comments and the fact they were even able to stand afterwards).

With that said, it is still fresh in my mind, so I'm sure that's part of the reason why I think so highly of this match. I'll have to re-watch it 6 months from now and see if it still stands up as the best fight for me.
Old 04-10-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was disappointed with the Shamrock/Franklin match. Shamrock just looked old and tired.

I hope Spike has another show with the undercard of the rest of the Ultimate Fighter participants. Saw the results on another site, and it's something I'd like to see.

Shamrock needs to stay out of the ring. Not only is he going to get seriously hurt, but he's just embarrassing himself now and tarnishing what has otherwise been a pretty good career. Why he decided at this point in his life that he was Bruce Lee with the kicks I'll never figure out...

Has Spike/UFC mentioned why the prelim fights weren't shown? There were quite a few that I was interested in seeing, I was hoping at least to get clips in between the other three fights (and 3 fight do not need a 2 1/2 hour broadcast). Let's hope they show these fights sometime in the near future.
Old 04-11-05, 12:26 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't paid attention to UFC since I was away at college but that was probably one of the better fight I've seen. The strikes those guys were landing and the fact they were still standing was amazing. Glad to see they both received contracts.

I just felt sad watching Shamrock get embarrassed like that.
Old 04-11-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sorry but there's nothing "ultimate" about a decision.

Fight until someone either dies or quits or is knocked out.
Old 04-11-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by johnglass
Obviously "best fight ever" is subjective, but I've never had a 15 minute adrenaline rush like I did watching this fight. I watched it around midnight and couldn't fall asleep until about 4AM I was so pumped up.

It wasn't the best technical fight, but for pure excitement and entertainment there haven't been many others (Pride or UFC) that I've seen that can stand up to this one. From start to finish this was a slugfest, and the end capped it off perfectly (both fighters getting a UFC contract, plus their humorous comments and the fact they were even able to stand afterwards).
You should watch Don Frye vs. Yoshihiro Takayama from Pride 21 for another great slugfest.
Old 04-11-05, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Manco
You should watch Don Frye vs. Yoshihiro Takayama from Pride 21 for another great slugfest.
I"m pretty sure I remember that fight. Wasn't it over fairly quickly, with Frye on the receiving end of a barrage of punches?

Edit: Nevermind, I just looked this one up and Frye was the winner. I do remember this fight though (I was thinking of the outcome of a different fight). It really is hard to forget what Takayama looked like after this was over, I felt bad for the guy but couldn't believe the punishment he took.

Now what fight was I thinking of- Frye fought another Japanese fighter and it ended with Frye standing in the corner getting his head rocked around, if I remember correctly it was over in less than a minute.

Last edited by johnglass; 04-11-05 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-11-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I haven'ts seend any ufc since around ufc 4, watched 1-4 as a highschool kid.

Thought it was pretty entertaining. Sad to see Shamrock look so bad, although I think if he could have kept from falling down time and again, he might have held up better. He was fav back then, remember him having some great fights with Gracie..

Pretty entertaining, but still wont' get me to pay to watch it again.. Free on the other hand.
Old 04-11-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A lot of people on MMA boards are saying that the Shamrock/Franklin fight looked "fishy." I'm highly skeptical that the fight was planned out due to Franklin not pulling any of those punches at the end. Shamrock had a nice welt on the left side of his face. I think a lot of this stems from Shamrock looking so good when TKO'd Kimo back in June, to looking so horrible during this fight(the slips).

Kenny is definitely a lightweight who was fighting way above his weight class. The same thing with Mike Swick. I'd much rather have seen him in the middles on UF than Josh Rafferty, who was a waste of a spot.
Old 04-11-05, 11:15 AM

A lot of people on MMA boards are saying that the Shamrock/Franklin fight looked "fishy." I'm highly skeptical that the fight was planned out due to Franklin not pulling any of those punches at the end. Shamrock had a nice welt on the left side of his face. I think a lot of this stems from Shamrock looking so good when TKO'd Kimo back in June, to looking so horrible during this fight(the slips).

Kenny is definitely a lightweight who was fighting way above his weight class. The same thing with Mike Swick. I'd much rather have seen him in the middles on UF than Josh Rafferty, who was a waste of a spot.

A lot of people have no idea what they're talking about.
Franklin, as expected, dominated him. Kimo sucks, Rich Franklin is a top flight fighter. Shamrock is *way* past his prime.
Agree on Rafferty.

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 04-11-05, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by krazykat72
A lot of people have no idea what they're talking about.
Franklin, as expected, dominated him. Kimo sucks, Rich Franklin is a top flight fighter. Shamrock is *way* past his prime.
Agree on Rafferty.

-Paul Jacobi-
Oh I agree, they're morons. The people on sherdog.com think the whole thing is a big conspiracy. The outcome of the fight was what I expected. Franklin handled him with ease.

The UF middles could've been a whole lot better if; Quarry didn't get hurt, they dropped Swick down to his normal class, and took Drew Fickett over Florian, who was rumored to be in Florian's spot.

It's funny how the middleweight final was between a welterweight and a lightweight. I'm sure Diego is going to go back down to 170 when he competes in the UFC.

The UF guys I see getting contracts/fights are Leben, Koshchek, Quarry, Swick, and maybe Florian.
Old 04-11-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Awsome fight between Forrest & Stephan. I was expecting more grappling from a guy who trained with Gracie.

It looked to me like Shamrock slipped and the kid took advantage of it.
Old 04-11-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

a reminder that Spike TV is replaying the finale tonight at 11:15 PM
Old 04-12-05, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This was like Gatti Ward out there. Those guys were just swining at each other. It's amazing how they were able to stand out there. Forrest was dead after 2 minutes in the second round.

I haven't watched too many MMA fights but my big bro in my fraternity is big time into MMA and trains a lot for it. He's always telling me that jiu jitsu is the key to MMA. He says that you need to do submission holds and I didn't see any of that in this fight. Very little ground fighting as well. Almost no mounts at all.

That said, although these guys were entertaining, I question how they'd fare against some of the better jiu jitsu fighters out there.

Last edited by Dabaomb; 04-12-05 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-12-05, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I"m pretty sure I remember that fight. Wasn't it over fairly quickly, with Frye on the receiving end of a barrage of punches?

Edit: Nevermind, I just looked this one up and Frye was the winner. I do remember this fight though (I was thinking of the outcome of a different fight). It really is hard to forget what Takayama looked like after this was over, I felt bad for the guy but couldn't believe the punishment he took.

Now what fight was I thinking of- Frye fought another Japanese fighter and it ended with Frye standing in the corner getting his head rocked around, if I remember correctly it was over in less than a minute.
You might be thinking about Frye vs. Jerome Lebanner in kickboxing match. Lebanner is French.
Old 04-12-05, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Manco
You might be thinking about Frye vs. Jerome Lebanner in kickboxing match. Lebanner is French.

Yeah, I believe that was it. French, Japanese- they all look alike to me.