Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Pedro says Red Sox can keep ring

Old 04-07-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pedro says Red Sox can keep ring

New York Mets ace Pedro Martinez fired plenty of early-season shots at his former team, the Boston Red Sox, in particular lashing out against what he perceives as a trashing of his reputation as a villain during a long interview with the Boston Herald.

ďBecause I didnít let Theo (Epstein) or the Red Sox decide my life, my future, Iím a bad man now,Ē said Martinez, who gave up three hits and struck out 12 but had a no-decision in the Mets' 7-6 defeat to the Cincinnati Reds on Monday. ďJudging from what Iíve seen, and what Iíve read and what Iíve heard, thatís how Iím being portrayed.

ďI did my job. I think I did that all seven years I was there. Everyone seems to have forgotten about that. A lot of the fans probably remember, but theyíre selling me as a negative. Iím not saying all the fans. But some have forgotten.Ē

Martinez also told the Herald he doesn't care if he gets his World Series ring from last year's championship team.

ďIf they want to keep the ring, thatís fine,Ē he said. ďI just know I contributed to that team to win, and Iím proud of it. They can never erase what I did in Boston. Most important, I had a job in Boston for seven years, and I appreciate that. And thatís the most important thing. I had a job, and I did what I had to do in my job. Every time I could pitch, I did. Hurting, or not hurting.Ē

Martinez also told the newspaper that he understood Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein's decision not to offer him enough to stay, but that he didn't like how he was characterized as a Boston bad boy.

ďIím not going to take back what I said. I wanted to stay in Boston. Hearing Theo talk today on ESPN, saying they wanted to spread my money around, and keep Jason, thatís a smart thing to do. He could afford to get rid of all of us, except Jason. I can appreciate that, but there was no need to mistreat my name.

ďI can understand the business part of it. I can understand, I can live with the business part of it, not being able to afford me, or thinking Iím not that good, but I cannot understand the part where you mistreat my name, or mistreat what I did for the city of Boston because they have to build another image of me.

Martinez, a three-time Cy Young Award winner, said that he is enjoying being a Met.

ďI think Iím starting to settle in as a player, as a teammate, and also about the way weíre going to play the game,Ē he told the Boston Herald. ďOther parts are yet to be seen, how Iím going to fit in New York. I donít know how the response is going to be. Iím just really concentrated on doing my job, really giving my team the opportunity I hope I can give them.

ďIím trying to have fun along the way. Iím not going to let the same thing happen to me again, where Iím going to corner myself in Boston, and not have a chance to enjoy the city, and have a response from the people, and let them get close to me.

ďI couldnít trust anyone (in Boston). I was such a big icon in Boston,Ē Martinez added. ďEverything I did, even driving my car, was scary. So Iím not going to let the same thing happen in New York. Boston was so small, everywhere you went, you were recognized. At least here (in New York), I have places to breathe, places I can probably go to the park without being recognized. Iím not going to make myself miserable for the next four years and at least try to have fun, and continue to work hard, like Iíve always done.Ē

Martinez also talked about the criticism he took from ex-pitching peer Curt Schilling, who suggested earlier that Martinez got special treatment from the Red Sox.

ďIf itís more time in the gym, then yes, I got special treatment,Ē Martinez told the Herald. ďI asked Schilling a lot of times to run with me, he couldnít. I could run distance like nobody on the team. And, I spent a lot more time in the gym than anybody else because I was hurt in 2001 and nobody knows what I did to rehab. So is that special treatment? Iíll give it to anybody else that wants it.Ē

ďMe and Schilling got along really well," Martinez added. "There was never, ever anything bad, or any disagreement on anything. I donít really understand why the comments came out about my work habits. If anybody knows my work habits, thereís no way to fool anybody.

ďI donít know if Schilling said it, but if Schilling said it, he doesnít know me all that well. Those are things Schilling should have never said if he said it, as a player. If he didnít say it, I guess I expect that from the media in Boston.Ē
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

gosh
Old 04-07-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

link?
Old 04-07-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7419906/

i guess this is like major.... does anyone know if the Mets play Boston this season
Old 04-07-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706
thanks
Old 04-07-05, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pedro being Pedro. Enjoy his act, NY. Every 5th day will make his signing worthwhile, but you may grind your teeth through the other 4.

By the way, Petey. From the looks of NYM's bullpen, you may want to rethink giving up your earned jewelry just yet.
Old 04-07-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did someone say he wasnt going to get his ring?? I think he just needs to worry about being a Met now and not worry about the past. His time was great in Boston, and I wish he could still be there to finish up with the Sox, but he needs to worry less about that now and start worrying about who is going to close his and his fellow teammates games.
Old 04-07-05, 04:55 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

another great start for the amazin's, welcome to NY pedro.

Last edited by ruk; 04-07-05 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-07-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still wish the Dodgers had'm.

From the article he seems pretty cool about this thing to me.... seems to be moving on.... doesn't seem to be trashing the BoSox..... he is a fool if he refuses the ring (though he didnít really say that).
Old 04-07-05, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, it seems like pretty typical Pedro. Plus, he qualified the keeping the ring part, by saying "if they want to keep it". Just seems like making something out of nothing
Old 04-07-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

good thing he is in the national now...so pitchers can throw at his head...
Old 04-07-05, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pedro should Ebay his WS ring.
Old 04-08-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by raven56706
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7419906/

i guess this is like major.... does anyone know if the Mets play Boston this season
Nope, they don't play each other. It's the Series or nothing.
Old 04-12-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe the team doctor can pick him up a box of these.
Old 04-12-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Nope, they don't play each other. It's the Series or nothing.
"Mets" ... "the Series"
Old 04-12-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Couldn't he just give his ring to the midget?
Old 04-12-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's crazy. But if the Red Sox want to humiliate him they should get a chihuahua, name him Pedro and put the WS ring on the dog's collar.