Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Wonderlic Testing and the NFL Draft ...

Old 04-07-05, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wonderlic Testing and the NFL Draft ...

I love the NFL Draft.

It dismays my wife that i'd consider sitting on my ass for 3 hours and watch the NFL Draft on tv ... but I would if I had the time.

In any case, there's one player from my fave college team that is rated in the top 3 of Offensive Tackles and from his bio from one of the sports sites has him scoring a 16 out of 50 (iirc) on the Wonderlic - which is pretty dismal. Really dismal.

So, my question is - Has anyone ever taken a full Wonderlic test before?

Evidently, QBs have the highest average Wonderlic score. Something about QBs requiring an innate amount of intelligence to be able to understand football conceptually and the frameword of playcalling and game mechanics all rolled into one.

Throw in time management and decision-making I can see why QBs would score well.

I see that Alex Smith iirc scored a 40. Or was it Rodgers?
Old 04-10-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Wonderlic like Wonderbra? If so, I'm a big fan.

Old 04-10-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I took it twice. I got a 44 the first time, and a week later, I happened to take one for a job interview. exact same test. I scored a 50
Old 04-11-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

IIRC OL usually score pretty high as well.
Old 04-11-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

16 is not that dismal for the NFL draft crop. A lot of guys get drafted high and do well with single digit wonderlic scores. I think Dan Marino got a horrible score in it back in the day.

I've suspected for years that many players (especially Miami players) don't even try hard when taking the test and score much lower than capable.

I follow the draft pretty closely and I've never worried about the wonderlic score of a prospect.
Old 04-11-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've actually rarely heard of it hurting a draft prospect except for Quarterbacks, and usually that's stuff that's said in retrospect: like this guy was a bust because of his poor Wonderlic score. Hardly ever hear about when the test is wrong.

The NFL uses a variety of personality tests, etc., so a low Wonderlic might not hurt his draft prospects much (and he did score in double digits: warning signs are single digit scores, usually).
Old 04-13-05, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are some truly awful Wonderlic scores for NFL players. I want to say Frank Gore was terrible at it this year, and I know Sean Taylor of the Redskins scored either a 10 or a 11. You should be able to find a test online if you really want one, as I remember looking at a sample one not too long ago. Can't find the exact thread I found the link in though
Old 04-13-05, 01:33 AM
Banned

Basically, players from Miami of Florida score low on the test. Ditto for any player born in Alabama.