Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Female boxer dies after amateur bout

Old 04-05-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If female boxers are so fragile that they drop dead after getting hit by another female boxer, with headgear on, maybe they shouldn't be in the ring after all. Tragic either way.

DENVER (AP) -- A female boxer who died from injuries sustained in a Colorado Golden Gloves boxing match this weekend is believed to be the first woman to die in an amateur boxing match in the United States.

Becky Zerlentes, 34, of Fort Collins died Sunday afternoon, said Howard Daniel of the Denver County coroner's office. A preliminary cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head. Results from an autopsy conducted Monday were not immediately available.

Zerlentes was hit by a punch by her opponent, Heather Schmitz, and despite wearing protective headgear, fell unconscious to the canvas during the third round of her match late Saturday, USA Boxing spokeswoman Julie Goldsticker said.

Ringside physicians jumped into the ring but Zerlentes never regained consciousness and died several hours later at a hospital.

Zerlentes, who had a 6-4 record, was married.

"The USA Boxing family's thoughts and prayers go out to Becky's family and husband; we are deeply saddened by this loss," USA Boxing president Sandy Martinez-Pino said.

USA Boxing is the sanctioning body for amateur boxing. The organization lifted its ban on women in 1993 and currently has 2,200 registered participants.

Goldsticker said the last death at a USA Boxing sanctioned event happened in February 2001 when heavyweight Quinton Grier, 31, of Springfield, Ill., died after his match.
Old 04-05-05, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by johnglass
If female boxers are so fragile that they drop dead after getting hit by another female boxer, with headgear on, maybe they shouldn't be in the ring after all. Tragic either way.

Yes...because a man has never died from boxing injuries. Oh, except the one mentioned in the same article you posted.
Old 04-05-05, 01:17 PM
Retired

Yeah, but that guy was hit buy another guy (inherently stonger than females) and was probably not wearing head gear.

So his point still stands, though I completely disagree with it as people should be allowed to do whatever they want to themselves.
Old 04-05-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 04-05-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brizz
Yes...because a man has never died from boxing injuries. Oh, except the one mentioned in the same article you posted.

Thank you for opening my eyes to the fact that men die in boxing matches!!! Good lord I never realized it! And now that you point out the error of my post, I can see how completely absurd my original statement was, because a female boxer getting hit by another female boxer, with headgear on, is exactly the same as an unprotected male boxer dying in the ring. Thank you so much!

And you're welcome to go digging for stats that will prove that somewhere along the line a male boxer died in the ring while wearing headgear, but the fact that women have only been boxing for a short period compared to men this may not bode well for them. And save all the "you're lumping all women together" or "you're jumping to conclusions over a single death" bullshit, I'm just making an observation.
Old 04-05-05, 01:47 PM

I expected a full page of "Million Dollar Baby" references by now. Shame on you people!
Old 04-05-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you for opening my eyes to the fact that men die in boxing matches!!! Good lord I never realized it! And now that you point out the error of my post, I can see how completely absurd my original statement was, because a female boxer getting hit by another female boxer, with headgear on, is exactly the same as an unprotected male boxer dying in the ring. Thank you so much!

And you're welcome to go digging for stats that will prove that somewhere along the line a male boxer died in the ring while wearing headgear, but the fact that women have only been boxing for a short period compared to men this may not bode well for them. And save all the "you're lumping all women together" or "you're jumping to conclusions over a single death" bullshit, I'm just making an observation.
A silly, fallacious, and bigoted one at that. But I don't really care. I just thought your comment was entirely unfair, and fairly insulting. that's all. Carry on.
Old 04-05-05, 02:06 PM
Retired

I don't think it's bigoted or silly at all.

Female boxers can't hit as hard as male boxers, it's a simple fact. For one to die when wearing head gear is extremely odd. I'd be surprised if we didn't find out there was something wrong with her that caused her death. i.e. an aneurism just waiting to pop that went off when she got hit.

Again, I think females should be allowed to box, but I am surprised that one died while wearing head gear.
Old 04-05-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A silly, fallacious, and bigoted one at that. But I don't really care. I just thought your comment was entirely unfair, and fairly insulting. that's all. Carry on.

Does it get tiresome being the defender of perceived injustices? Thank you for calling me a bigot, now take your petty shit back to the Politics forum where it belongs.
Old 04-05-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

alllllllllllllllrighty then. sensitive much?
Old 04-05-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
I expected a full page of "Million Dollar Baby" references by now. Shame on you people!
freakin' Groucho, you just ruined the movie for me
Old 04-05-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

alllllllllllllllrighty then. sensitive much?
You imply he's a bigot, then wonder why he responds annoyed?
Old 04-05-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No...i said it was a bigoted thing to say. there's a difference. I don't think there's any merit whatsoever to his assertion that women shouldn't box because they are "fragile" based on one woman dying - headgear or not. men wearing headgear have also died from injuries sustained in the ring. I think its sad that she died, but its also sad that someone would post the story with the above comments.
Old 04-05-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know of any medical reason why women would be more likely to suffer injuries like the above mentioned boxer. Unless there is a reason, and not being a doctor there may be one, why not let women box?
Old 04-05-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blah blah fucking blah... and a bunch of other random horseshit.
Well, all I can say is I'm sorry I made you sad.

Old 04-05-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jericho
I don't know of any medical reason why women would be more likely to suffer injuries like the above mentioned boxer. Unless there is a reason, and not being a doctor there may be one, why not let women box?
I don't either (perhaps skull thickness is different between men and women?) and it may just be a pre-existing condition this boxer had. I also didn't say that they shouldn't be allowed to box, I said maybe they shouldn't box.
Old 04-05-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, all I can say is I'm sorry I made you sad.

i'll see your and raise you a [img]http://forum.******.com/forum/images/smilies/smiliegojerkit.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-05, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'll see your and raise you a [img]http://forum.******.com/forum/images/smilies/smiliegojerkit.gif[/img]
At least you still find me sexy enough to whack off to.
Old 04-05-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At first I thought, "dang, one less Colorado woman for Kobe to schack up with," then I thought "what a great gig for Chyna Doll."
Old 04-05-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't either (perhaps skull thickness is different between men and women?) and it may just be a pre-existing condition this boxer had. I also didn't say that they shouldn't be allowed to box, I said maybe they shouldn't box.
I'm sure there are a lot of women out there who would say men certainly have thicker skulls

Anyway, i thought the first statement was a little out of line too. I don't really care too much, but it did seemed to imply something a little harsh. Shrug.
Old 04-06-05, 11:50 AM
Banned

well boxers have to take the risk of getting killed or injured

its just like saying, why do we have Police Officers? they can die, but its there job to rish their lives
Old 04-06-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a risk you take if you choose to step into the ring. I think it's actually safer than a woman (or man) choosing to race cars.