Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Anyone else care about the Women's Final Four?

Old 03-28-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone else care about the Women's Final Four?

Admittedly, I am biased because my alma mater Baylor Bears just made the final four, but does anyone else care or have a rooting interest?
Old 03-28-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i was glad to see unc lose at something... but that's about it.
Old 03-28-05, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk God

No, but....

my friend came over to watch 24 tonight and we flipped to ESPN during a commercial. He said something to the effect of "I know it's women's basketball, but it's HD and looks so good."
Old 03-29-05, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually I was feeling pretty good cause I had all 8 of the final 8 predicted right(which isn't that shocking copmsidering it's basically 1s and 2s and it also is a nice change as opposed to by fucked Men's bracket). But today's games cost me. Screw those bitches!
Old 03-29-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Women's basketball is never compelling. Look at the matchups three 1 vs 2 and a 1 vs 3. Wow.

When I'm flipping through channels I can watch pretty much any sport, golf, tennis, first round NIT games, college hockey, whatever... except for women's basketball. I can never stand to watch a game.
Old 03-29-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope. Despite the fact that it's WOMEN'S BASKETBALL, doesn't Tennessee or Connecticut win the title every year anyway?
Old 03-29-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There is less parity in womens ball, which means the top seeds win way more often. SO the suspense is a little lacking compared to men's ball.

That having been said, I don't care because UConn isn't in it anymore.
Old 03-29-05, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't care anymore since my Ohio State Buckeyes lost yesterday.
Old 03-29-05, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm too wrapped up in the women's NIT to care
Old 03-29-05, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk God

not at all
Old 03-29-05, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sometimes I like to look at Tennessee guard Brittany Jackson, but then I realize that I am watching something that has to do w/ the Volunteers and then I feel gross.
Old 03-29-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

the referees are at such a bad level, I simply can't take women's college bball seriously. Every game is an all-out hack-fest and you never hear a whistle. If the referee standards of men's bball were applied to beaverball, the women starters would foul out by the 10 minute mark.
Old 03-29-05, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only interested to see if UT or UConn lose. If a team I normally like (in this case, LSU), has a chance to win, so much the better.

I don't actually watch the games though.
Old 03-29-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk God

No.

check that - yes, more than the NBA playoffs.
Old 03-29-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go Spartans!
Old 03-29-05, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only kinda of womens basketball I like to watch is when a girl is dribbling on my balls.
Old 03-29-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm only marginally following Rutgers cuz they're the state school of Jersey. Other than that, I could care less.
Old 03-29-05, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
No, but....

my friend came over to watch 24 tonight and we flipped to ESPN during a commercial. He said something to the effect of "I know it's women's basketball, but it's HD and looks so good."

I'm the same way, and I don't even like basketball, but it's in HD so I've been checking it out some.
Old 03-29-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

all my Go Baylor! comments in the other thread go uncommented. I watched last nights game, too, and it was awesome. UNC shot quite a few air balls in the closing minutes, yet, closed the gap a bit. Baylor's bench has been a godsend for them. I really hope they win it all. That'd be incredible.
Old 03-29-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, but I will admit Women's College Basketball still seems better than the unwatchable WNBA.
Old 03-30-05, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by IdgIe49
all my Go Baylor! comments in the other thread go uncommented. .
thats cause most people dont even know baylor has a girls bball team
and those that do know.. dont care
Old 03-30-05, 09:30 AM

There's Women's College Basketball??? I don't care for it at all.
Old 03-30-05, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by twikoff
thats cause most people dont even know baylor has a girls bball team
and those that do know.. dont care

I know. I know. Its all too obvious after 5 years, me thinks.
Old 04-02-05, 04:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SuprVgeta
Nope. Despite the fact that it's WOMEN'S BASKETBALL, doesn't Tennessee or Connecticut win the title every year anyway?
Yeah, it's not like men's basketball...where Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Arizona, etc. only appear in the top ten once every decade or so.

REAL basketball fans enjoy well-played basketball at any level. I can understand those who are tired of the same teams (I got REALLY tired of John Wooden's UCLA winning all those back-to-back titles, for instance), but some of the other comments and attitudes remind me of my brother's (former) attitude (before he matured). He remarked that the women "weren't as good" as the men and were a joke. Using that logic (comparative talent), the following rules should apply:

No one should ever watch high school games (college players are more talented).

No one should ever watch college games (NBA players are more talented).

No one should ever watch NBA games (All-Star & Olympic teams feature more talent).

I have found that, at any level (even middle school), games can be exciting, entertaining, even thrilling...as long as the play is competent and the competition is fierce.

The only reasons for more "parity" in the men's game is (1) less scholarships to give (thus reducing the "stockpiling" of players that went on in the past and (2) underclassmen jumping to the pros (or bypassing college altogether).
Were it not for that, you would see a handful of teams dominating the way they did in the past.

Having coached girls in basketball, volleyball, and softball in the past, I can attest that girls work just as hard and care just as much as the boys...and most listen better and have smaller egos than we guys. Also, at the higher levels, the women's game is actually more pleasing to purists because it involves more teamwork than the run-and-gun look-at-how-great-I-am-and-what-I-can-do type of street ball that the men's game degenerated into a few years back (before many of those players left for the NBA). I will always find a jump shot more exciting and impressive than a dunk...until they raise the rim to 12 feet tall. I'm glad the men's game has somewhat returned to actual basketball versus the boring one-on-one take-it-to-the-hoop pro yawnfest that the NBA has become. The best thing about the NBA is the variety of tatts the players are wearing...perfectly suited for the clown spectacle we seen during the regular season (akin to professional wrestling). Does anyone REALLY care about regular season NBA games as long as the team makes the playoffs (and who doesn't these days)??

If someone doesn't enjoy a particular sport, that's fine...it's just a matter of personal taste. But for someone to write off an entire GENDER who can competently play a sport that the poster otherwise enjoys (and who can beat the poster's butt handily any day of the week) smacks of some sort of weird insecurity.
Old 04-03-05, 06:53 PM

I have a passing interest as I'm a Tennessee fan, but I wouldn't watch a whole game unless they were playing UCONN..although I am glad they are out of it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.