Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Mike & Mike's Sheet of Integrity: how many for perfect bracket?

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 03-25-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The other morning on Mike and Mike in the Morning, the boys spoke of a professor who determined how many March Madness tourney brackets would need to be filled out to get a sheet that is 100% correct. Anyone know how many that was? I know that he said everyone on the planet would need to create a certain number of sheets with at least one different pick on each, but I can't remember the number.

Anyone know?
Old 03-25-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...t.picks/1.html

"A tournament bracket has two to the power of 63 possible tournament outcomes," says Kaplan. "That's a huge number: nine billion billion. A nine with 18 zeroes after it. If there's six billion people on the planet, you could tell every single person to put in one billion distinctly different sets of picks each, and exactly one person would get every game right.
Old 03-25-05, 11:40 AM

I'll take those odds!
Old 03-25-05, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

two years ago, my father picked every winner in the tourney except 1 game. he had won his pool by the sweet 16 or elite 8, if I remember correctly. the following year, I had him make my picks for me and entered a pool and lost to a girl who picked teams with animal mascots over non-animal teams.
Old 03-25-05, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's a little oversimplified, because it assumes every game is a 50/50 shot, which it really isn't. Yeah nine billion billion would cover every possible scenario, but a lot of those scenarios have virtually no chance of happening. You can start eliminating possibilities by taking out all the wins by 16 seeds. You can also do the same for 15 seeds and be safe in most years. If you start playing the odds and having the high seeds advance, especially the ones, you can knock down the total number of possibilites without really increasing the likelihood of missing a perfect bracket.