Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Do they think I am a fantasy idiot?

Old 03-24-05, 04:43 PM

Do they think I am a fantasy idiot?

I've been sent these trade offers in the last 24 hours. I'm wondering if the owners think I'm the biggest fantasy idiot ever.

5 x 5
12 Teams
8 Man KEEPER

1)
He offers:
Barry Bonds

for:
Miguel Cabrera

2)
He offers:
Johan Santana
Endy Chavez

for:
Roy Oswalt
Miguel Cabrera
Old 03-28-05, 12:28 PM

In short no, they just think they're the greatest fantasy GM ever. It's a common thing with new players, where they'll offer trades like that hoping to sneak one by, because they figure they're smarter then every person before. It's considered a sign of "skill" if you manage to pull one of these off. In reality, most of the people in a league will have about the same amount of "skill", so things like trading highly rated but out for 15 weeks players for similarly rated but healthy people are pretty transparent, but people feel oh so clever for thinking of them. What usually happens is that they annoy people that legitimately want to trade, because they're always hunting for the angle to make the trade lopsided in thier favor and won't put through a trade unless they propose it.
Old 03-28-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, most GM's don't know the old saying - a good deal is made only when both sides feel like they lost something. Unfortunately most trade proposals attempt to get something from nothing.
Old 03-29-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any trade offers I've ever received in pulbic leagues on yahoo are trades that try to rip me off. The funniest ones are when right after the draft you get a proposal of 3 idiots for 3 of your studs because the person realizes they had a bad draft and or/missed the draft.
Old 03-29-05, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I need opinions. Should I trade my #2 pitcher Curt Schilling for Gary Sheffield? The League has 12 teams total. Scoring categories are as such [R, H, HR, RBI, SB, AVG. IP, W, SV, K, HR, ERA, WHIP]. Here's my team:

C J. López
1B J. Giambi
2B M. Loretta
3B A. Boone
SS J. Uribe
OF H. Matsui
OF A. Jones
OF T. Nixon
Util L. Walker
Util R. Hidalgo
BN B. Williams
BN S. Hillenbrand