Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Hockey Question: Anyone got the Tyler Hirsch video??

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Hockey Question: Anyone got the Tyler Hirsch video??

Old 03-23-05, 09:42 AM

Hockey Fans! I HAVE THE TYLER HIRSCH VIDEO, A MUST SEE!!

People who were at the CC v UMN Gopher game Friday night know exactly what I'm talking about...and I know its in bad taste to wanna watch the video again given the unknown mental state of Hirsch, but as a hockey fan I'm bloodthirsty and kinda think this will be laughed at in several years.

For those who don't know...after the Gopher loss Friday night in the WCHA frozen 5.

Hirsch, a standout for the Gophers took a slapshot from about 3 feet away from the net where there was no goalie and preceded to crash right through the crossbar of the goal and through the zamboni doors, he then got up, placed his stick at center ice and then skated off!

The Gophers are currently a number 1 seed in the NCAA tournament and play Maine this weekend in the first round.

Here is the link to the video:
Hirsch Video

Last edited by Bell65; 03-24-05 at 04:21 PM. Reason: got the video link
Old 03-23-05, 10:02 AM

My dad works for the FSN TV crew and they were contemplating showing it the next day, but decided against it. He said they got rid of the tape. It sounded pretty crazy.
Old 03-23-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so this guy is insane or something? i dont quite understand what happened.
Old 03-23-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by moorehed
so this guy is insane or something? i dont quite understand what happened.
Me neither, and the video linked above doesn't follow the events described in the first post.
Old 03-23-05, 03:42 PM

I guess Tyler is going through some mental issues or what the local media has called "something that runs in his family"

but yeah, why did u post that sweet hockey goal? its been seen a million times?
just wondering
Old 03-24-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw the footage on the local news yesterday. Just bizarre. NEver seen anything like it.

I listened to a local radio station that interviewed Don Lucia yesterday (U of M's coach) and although he didn't come out and say it, it was obvious that it was a huge mental problem. He was saying how some of hte players were up till 3 and 4 in the morning "because of what happened". Thats probably why they played so bad against NoDak.
Old 03-24-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's very bizarre...and Tyler has been admitted into the hospital. He's had serious mental issues in the past, and is currently being admitted under "nervous breakdown"

I hope he pulls through this...he' was the #1 player on the team!
Old 03-25-05, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

he won't be next year, but i agree, i hope he gets his issues in order, in time for the frozen four or not.
Old 03-28-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Found it.

Tyler Hirsch video

Old 03-28-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Details (a little more than has been posted here):

CONCERNS RAISED ABOUT HIRSCH AFTER STRANGE
POSTGAME DISPLAY

Minnesota team officials were equal parts concerned and tight-lipped after leading scorer Tyler Hirsch put on a strange display after his team’s 3-0 loss to Colorado College. After the teams shook hands and left the ice, with fans filing out of the building, Hirsch stayed at center ice, in full uniform, and asked for a puck.

After an on-ice official handed him a puck, Hirsch asked rink maintenance men to shut the Zamboni doors,
then did something akin to an empty-net penalty shot. Hirsch skated from center ice toward the empty net, fired a slap shot from between the circles (it went in) then barreled full speed into the goal, knocking the net against the end boards and landing with a hard crash.

Hirsch then skated back to center ice, left his stick on the red line, and skated off the ice, with Gopher assistant coaches waving for him to get off the rink.

Asked if he could explain what Hirsch had done and why he had done it after the game, Minnesota coach Don Lucia answered, “No.”

“That was bizarre,” said Lucia. “Let’s just leave it at that.”

Asked if Hirsch had been hurt while crashing into the boards, Lucia responded, “Not physically.”

Several reporters asked to speak with Hirsch, but were denied access to the Minnesota locker room by the team.

“We’re not going to make him available,” said Minnesota team spokesman Kevin Kurtt. “He’s obviously dealing with some issues, so the coaches have asked that you respect his privacy for now.”

No word as to whether Hirsch will be in the Minnesota lineup on Saturday.
Old 03-28-05, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

wow.

I'm sure leaving his stick at center along the ice has to symbolize something.
Old 03-28-05, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Very strange.
Old 03-31-05, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
wow.

I'm sure leaving his stick at center along the ice has to symbolize something.
Yeah it symbolizes that at the U of M u can do crazy shit like that and then be welcomed back with open arms, providing that it is for a final four game of course.

The U has done a pretty shitty job of handeling this situation and has really left fans int he dark. As a big gopher fan, I feel cheated, and want to know the specifics.

Why is he being let back on the team?

What if he does it again?

Why did nobody stop this?

If he has a "mental condition" why was no one watching for something like this to happen???

Just hold a press conference Lucia!

If he had done this, the incident would be over and done with, but instead it hangs a cloud over an otherwise great season
Old 03-31-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why is he being let back on the team?

What if he does it again?

Why did nobody stop this?
perhaps i'm missing something... but why is this a big deal? sure it's weird... but certainly i dont see it as being a suspendable offense? i mean he didn't hurt anyone, he didn't do anything during a game that would jeopardize his team or other players in any way? i just don't quite get what the big deal is... but then again i knwo very little about the situation.
Old 03-31-05, 11:15 PM

OK, you're the coach of a D1 hockey team, your team goes to the 3rd place game in what is established as the best conference in college hockey. One of your top leaders on the team decides, after the game, while the full crowd is still in attendance to skate and take a slap shot from center ice, if those doors didnt give way he could of seriously hurt himself!

The thing that bothers me is they came out and played the "mental problems" angle.

If they had simply come out and said he was really pissed and did the equivolent of a football player throwing his helmet or breaking his hand when he punched a wall, fine!

But I'm sorry, if you had coachign experience or playing experience ina disaplined system you would understand more, but you don't simply throw your stick down in the middle of the ice and skate off after you just bum rushed a goal, post game and expect to play.

Also anyone got an inside scoop on the inside story of Kellen Briggs, the U of M goaltenders "Undisclosed hand injury" from after they got sweeped by Mich Tech earlier in the year?? He was fine on saturday, but suddenly was hurt for the team practice on sunday???? hmmm...

and this is the state that goes crazy when our start wideout pretends to moon a crowd, but no body cares that a player has a mental breakdown right before the NCAA tourney????
Old 04-01-05, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bell65
OK, you're the coach of a D1 hockey team, your team goes to the 3rd place game in what is established as the best conference in college hockey. One of your top leaders on the team decides, after the game, while the full crowd is still in attendance to skate and take a slap shot from center ice, if those doors didnt give way he could of seriously hurt himself!

The thing that bothers me is they came out and played the "mental problems" angle.

If they had simply come out and said he was really pissed and did the equivolent of a football player throwing his helmet or breaking his hand when he punched a wall, fine!

But I'm sorry, if you had coachign experience or playing experience ina disaplined system you would understand more, but you don't simply throw your stick down in the middle of the ice and skate off after you just bum rushed a goal, post game and expect to play.

Also anyone got an inside scoop on the inside story of Kellen Briggs, the U of M goaltenders "Undisclosed hand injury" from after they got sweeped by Mich Tech earlier in the year?? He was fine on saturday, but suddenly was hurt for the team practice on sunday???? hmmm...

and this is the state that goes crazy when our start wideout pretends to moon a crowd, but no body cares that a player has a mental breakdown right before the NCAA tourney????
I think this entire post is a bit speculative due to the fact that you really have no idea what is wrong with this kid, or the goalie who supposedly hurt his hand (I don't know the story there im sorry). I played hockey for 11 years, and if i was pissed off I never tended to wait til the end of the game, go in on a breakaway and run through a net. There has to be more to this then just frustration. Just my .02
Old 04-01-05, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by mautos
I think this entire post is a bit speculative due to the fact that you really have no idea what is wrong with this kid, or the goalie who supposedly hurt his hand (I don't know the story there im sorry). I played hockey for 11 years, and if i was pissed off I never tended to wait til the end of the game, go in on a breakaway and run through a net. There has to be more to this then just frustration. Just my .02
Right, which is exactly why I don't believe he should be allowed to play so soon, if he does have mental issues they don't just go away in a week or two, and what's to say a player on the other team scores a goal and he blindsides the guy or what not.

And if he is mentally fit to play, which would be the other argument, he shouldn't be welcomed back with as open of arms. And i know hes gonna be a 4th liner this Thursday, but still, they played great without him, why bring back a headcase. He really hasn't made a public apology yet IMO.