Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

storylines you will follow this mlb season?

Old 03-21-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk God

storylines you will follow this mlb season?

what big storylines are you looking forward to this season?

big players at new teams?
big players making comebacks
wild pitchers moving to the outfield?
steroid testing and punishment?
cubs getting closer to 100 years without a WS.
red sox vs yankees.
Bonds missiong to pass babe/hank.
other?
Old 03-21-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All I really care about is who wins. I don't need any storylines like artifically inflated Red Sox-Yanks games, this isn't wrestling.
Old 03-21-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm thinking about following that storyline involving the lefthander that was traded to the Cardinals from Oakland. What's his name?
Old 03-21-05, 11:07 PM
Premium Member

How many games KGriffey Jr plays before he gets hurt again. Grrrrrrr.....
Old 03-21-05, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
How many games KGriffey Jr plays before he gets hurt again. Grrrrrrr.....
Ah, so you're a fan of short stories.

I'll follow a handful of players, but focus primarily on Boston and Houston as usual. No Extra Innings this year, though.
Old 03-22-05, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Ah, so you're a fan of short stories.

I'll follow a handful of players, but focus primarily on Boston and Houston as usual. No Extra Innings this year, though.

Me neither. I ditched it this year. No games in HD and I won't be home enough just like last season to enjoy it. Once I graduate from school this fall, though, it's on next year!

I'll be following the BOS/NYY rivalry pretty close. Also, I am interested in seeing how the Padres do again. They shocked alot of people last year, and I think they an only get better. Probably one of the best sleeper teams in either league.

Also, interested in seeing how Pedro makes the transition from AL to NL. If he stays healthy, he'll be better in NY than he ever was in BOS.
Old 03-22-05, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
I'll be following the BOS/NYY rivalry pretty close. Also, I am interested in seeing how the Padres do again. They shocked alot of people last year, and I think they an only get better. Probably one of the best sleeper teams in either league.
I thought the Padres were evenyone's favorite "sleeper" team last year, although I use that term loosely. Since they won 87 games, I think they've long since lost that label
Old 03-22-05, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1.) Carlos Zambrano winning the Cy Young - I know it is only spring training, but he's got 0 runs in like 13 innings. He's going to do it, I also see a no-hitter or perfect game from him.

2.) Nomar Garciaparra & Aramis Ramirez having MVP seasons - Nomar is healthy and having a killer spring, he's got a lot to prove. Aramis was close last season and would have 40+ homers if not for a small hammy injury, hitting behind Walker and Nomar will do wonders for him.

3.) The Cubs winning the World Series. I feel it, I didn't feel it last year, outwordly I said they could do it. But I just didn't like alot about the team. They didn't add much this offseason, but they subtracted some pieces that needed to go. Health was a problem last year, and hopefully will be alright this year (some will say its already starting, but I think Wood/Prior will both be fine, it's been way overblown (rightfully so though)).

4.) The Cardinals returning to Earth.
Old 03-22-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Strong agreement about watching Pedro as a Met.

I also think we'll see Santana not live up to the expectations.
Old 03-22-05, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
'Nother vote for watching Petey. In fact, I was already planning to ask for your predictions here on what his numbers are gonna be this year. Anyone? Anyone?? I'm seeing a lot of No Decisons with that bullpen, but a VERY respectable ERA for him.

Will also keep an eye on Nomar, and on OCAb to see if Renteria is worth the extra $2M per.
Old 03-22-05, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh yeah, I will definitely be following Renteria in Boston to see how he plays now that he is w/ a team that showed interest in him and gave him respect.

Also will be watching to see if Joe Mauer can stay healthy and, if so, what he can do during a full season.
Old 03-22-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk God

The continuing fiscal disparity btwn the top 2 teams in the AL East and the rest of the teams in the division. In other words, I'll mildly follow baseball for about 3 or 4 weeks and when the O's are 10 games behind, I'll stop caring.
Old 03-22-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But RD - you can follow the Washington Nationals!

Old 03-22-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jericho
I thought the Padres were evenyone's favorite "sleeper" team last year, although I use that term loosely. Since they won 87 games, I think they've long since lost that label
Sort of true. Every list I've seen still has the Padres finishing 3rd this year behind the Giants and Dodgers. I think they will surprise a ton of people and compete for the division or wild card. People still aren't giving them any respect.
Old 03-22-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by B.A.
But RD - you can follow the Washington Nationals!

I'll probably go to more Nats games than O's games. That likely means 2 Nats games and 1 O's game.
Old 03-22-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a question for those non-Red Sox and non-Yankees fans. Do you care about the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry? Cause I'm neither and I really don't care. Here's why. I know the Red Sox and Yankees are virtually guaranteed a playoffs spot absent a huge rash of injuries. The individual games don't matter because they have these playoff spots locked up. Even if it is a rivalry, there are 20 or so games between them this year, making any one even less meaningful. It's not like they have one or two key match-ups as in football. And whoever wins will be largely due to whichever pitcher had a good day, not really because one team is better. So why care about their games?
Old 03-22-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
The continuing fiscal disparity btwn the top 2 teams in the AL East and the rest of the teams in the division. In other words, I'll mildly follow baseball for about 3 or 4 weeks and when the O's are 10 games behind, I'll stop caring.

In many ways, I'm right there with you
Old 03-22-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Here's a question for those non-Red Sox and non-Yankees fans. Do you care about the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry? Cause I'm neither and I really don't care. Here's why. I know the Red Sox and Yankees are virtually guaranteed a playoffs spot absent a huge rash of injuries. The individual games don't matter because they have these playoff spots locked up. Even if it is a rivalry, there are 20 or so games between them this year, making any one even less meaningful. It's not like they have one or two key match-ups as in football. And whoever wins will be largely due to whichever pitcher had a good day, not really because one team is better. So why care about their games?

I did until October of last year. Once the Red Sox beat the Yanks and won it all, it sucked everything away - at least to me.

Now, assuming the O's continue to do nothing, unless the Cubs make the playoffs, I won't care about the MLB playoffs.
Old 03-22-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

the tigers and indians battling it out for the central.

if sammy can bomb some out of camden

if the yankees pitching goes belly up

the cubbies

etc. etc.
Old 03-22-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And it only takes 5 to extend the middle finger. _.!..
Old 03-22-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be watching whether the Nationals will get the TV rights to their own home market or not. Apparently, the Orioles have DC and Northern VA locked up tight right now, and nobody's interested in the Montréal market.
Old 03-22-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

-Boston/NYY of course
-How bad will the Giants be without Bonds in the lineup to start the season
-Will Florida live up to the hype?

I'm just interested in this season as a whole, I like seeing stories develop.
Old 03-22-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones

Also, interested in seeing how Pedro makes the transition from AL to NL. If he stays healthy, he'll be better in NY than he ever was in BOS.
He'll NEVER have as good of a season as he had during 99-00.
Old 03-22-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hate baseball, but i'll be paying attention to see how long it takes for Joe Mauer to get hurt. Local media are watching that kid like he's the pope. Should be an interesting first month .
Old 03-22-05, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by namrufmot
He'll NEVER have as good of a season as he had during 99-00.
Well, that maybe true, but switching from an AL team to a NL team always favors the pitcher. We'll see how it shakes out.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.