Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Magic Number Countdown to the Lakers' Elimination from the Playoffs

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Old 03-21-05, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Two years ago we Laker fans had a lot of fun in Scorchie's thread on the same subject.

Now the Laker haters get to have their fun at our expense and we have a chance to show we're good sports.

After Tuesday's games, any combination of 1 Grizzly win or Laker loss will knock the Lakers into the lottery.

Magic number for the Lakers to be eliminated from the playoffs: 1.

But wait. The best the Lakers can do now is tie with the Grizzlies but the Grizzlies own the tiebreaker.

So the magic number for the Lakers to be eliminated from the playoffs is: 0

So the Lakers have been eliminated from the playoffs.

Go Lakers, 2005-2006!

Last edited by movielib; 04-06-05 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-21-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Old 03-21-05, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff

big time!
Old 03-21-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
big time!
Like this?...
Old 03-21-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

awesome...... later bryant
Old 03-21-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wondering - a serious question. How does the money wanted by Shaq from the Lakers (when he wanted an extension last year) compare to the amount lost by not having a deep run into the playoffs (say, 10-14 home games worth of playoff ticket prices, merchandise, parking, etc.)
Old 03-21-05, 03:15 PM
Premium Member

Hopefully this thread will work out like it did the last time

(but I doubt it)
Old 03-21-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Daryl
Just wondering - a serious question. How does the money wanted by Shaq from the Lakers (when he wanted an extension last year) compare to the amount lost by not having a deep run into the playoffs (say, 10-14 home games worth of playoff ticket prices, merchandise, parking, etc.)
I'm unsure about the revenue generated by those particular games, but i believe the speculation regarding contractual differences was around 10 million dollars per year apart.
Old 03-21-05, 03:37 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

i guess all good things must come to an end.
Old 03-21-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not to mention that by keeping Shaq, they ran the risk of loosing Bryant and perhaps not having either of them a couple of years down the road. So I don't think we can put that in terms of dollar figures...

Although I'm a Laker fan, I'm wondering more if the Clippers are going to catch the Lakers... that would be the ultimate humiliation, forget about missing the playoffs. Not to mention that Odom's been in pain...
Old 03-21-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Clippers rule.
Old 03-21-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another banana man dancing on Lakers fan's graves. Couldn't have happened to better fans nor a better human being like Kobe Bryant.

Last edited by Michael Ballack; 03-21-05 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-22-05, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Another banana man dancing on Lakers fan's graves. Couldn't have happened to better fans nor a better human being like Kobe Bryant.
What is that supposed to mean? Ripping Kobe is one thing, but ripping us Laker fans is another.

At least this thread was started by a Laker fan. I suspect the aftermath would have created it eventually.
Old 03-22-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Not to mention that by keeping Shaq, they ran the risk of loosing Bryant and perhaps not having either of them a couple of years down the road. So I don't think we can put that in terms of dollar figures...

Although I'm a Laker fan, I'm wondering more if the Clippers are going to catch the Lakers... that would be the ultimate humiliation, forget about missing the playoffs. Not to mention that Odom's been in pain...
What's wrong with not having Bryant?
Old 03-22-05, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love this thread

BTW, what happened to MJKTool? I'd like to gloat in his face
Old 03-22-05, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
What is that supposed to mean? Ripping Kobe is one thing, but ripping us Laker fans is another.

At least this thread was started by a Laker fan. I suspect the aftermath would have created it eventually.
I"m sorry, but L.A. fans are known to be some of the worst fans out there; showing up to the game when they feel like it, cocky when you are winning, lots of bandwagon jumpers, and etc. Now you guys are going to feel what it's like to lose, much like when the champion Bulls team broke up for me.

I also can't believe the L.A. fans who took Kobe's side over Shaq. Congratulations on having a selfish scumbag of a human being. You guys are eating crow now. If nothing else, you have to admit Shaq makes his teamates better, Kobe does not. I know, I know, Shaq has 2 years at most and Kobe has a bright future. I'm going to go all out and say Kobe will not win another championship ever. End of rant.
Old 03-22-05, 10:24 AM

I also can't believe the L.A. fans who took Kobe's side over Shaq. Congratulations on having a selfish scumbag of a human being. You guys are eating crow now. If nothing else, you have to admit Shaq makes his teamates better, Kobe does not. I know, I know, Shaq has 2 years at most and Kobe has a bright future. I'm going to go all out and say Kobe will not win another championship ever. End of rant.
Old 03-22-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I"m sorry, but L.A. fans are known to be some of the worst fans out there; showing up to the game when they feel like it, cocky when you are winning, lots of bandwagon jumpers, and etc. Now you guys are going to feel what it's like to lose, much like when the champion Bulls team broke up for me.

This has been beaten to death already, but as for the fans, i think any team with a history of winning will have fans that exhibit the same behavior. Some LA fans are more prone to it due to the nature of the area, but even in this thread a lot of us are still here, and a lot of us remember losing in the 90's.

And Kobe/Shaq debate, how are we eating crow? What did we say that we're being proved wrong about? I don't think anyone believed that Kobe would have more success then Shaq this year. And to single out Kobe as selfish and ignore any selfishness on Shaq's part is incredibly naive.

I'd also say that both Shaq and Kobe make teammates better just by being on the court. Watching Kobe all of this year and looking at several teammates having career years and boosts in FG% show that.
Old 03-22-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
What's wrong with not having Bryant?
It's not just losing Bryant... they would've lost Bryant, had a non-contending (though playoffs-bound) team built around an aging Shaq, and Shaq would've gone into his twilight years. Either way, the Lakers were going to get screwed (except for, I don't know, trying to put the two in a room together to talk it out? I can't believe Buss didn't do that). But at least Bryant is younger, and they got something (though not much) for Shaq instead of just letting Bryant walk away for nothing. Can you imagine what this team would be like with: Shaq, Payton, George or Walton, Cook, and Rush as their starting five? I shudder to think what the bench would look like (and Carl's Jr. would have trouble making five bobbleheads).

By the way, with the Clips winning last night, they're officially closer in the standings to the Lakers than the Lakers are to the Nuggets.
Old 03-22-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
That would be like beating up a kid with down's syndrome in a wheelchair. I'd actually like the Lakers to be a good team and lose in the playoffs. That way the sting is a lot worse
Old 03-22-05, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by the aftermath
That would be like beating up a kid with down's syndrome in a wheelchair. I'd actually like the Lakers to be a good team and lose in the playoffs. That way the sting is a lot worse
I agree aftermath. What if they get a good player in the lottery? I'd like to see them get swept in the first round.
Old 03-22-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by the aftermath
Eh, losing in the playoffs doesn't sting so much when not much is expected from the team. If the Lakers make the playoffs, nobody would consider them favorites to win, or even get out of the first round.

Sting is losing in the finals when the team is heavy favorites, like last year. Or sweeping through the Western Conference only to lose Magic and Byron Scott to injury and getting swept by the Pistons.

Right now, I just hope the Lakers can win another game, and end this 5 game losing streak.
Old 03-22-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still like the Lakers and Kobe and I do not see the Heat beating the Spurs in a 7 game series.
Old 03-22-05, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
I still like the Lakers and Kobe and I do not see the Heat beating the Spurs in a 7 game series.
The Heat won't even make it past the Pistons.
Old 03-22-05, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by eatntae
Or sweeping through the Western Conference only to lose Magic and Byron Scott to injury and getting swept by the Pistons.
Yah injuries are part of the game and its unfortunate when they happen to your best players, at the wrong time. I remember that play-off run..we were 11-0 going into the finals against Detroit and shit hit the fan.

But a healthy Lakers squad this season and we wouldn't be talking about the Lakers missing the play-offs. That didn't happen so now we get to see what Mitch & Jerry do in the off season, which is going to be longer than what we've been used to.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.