Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Wrestlemania 21

Old 03-20-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wrestlemania 21

Well with just two weeks to go 'till the "Grandaddy of them all" I thought it was about time we had a thread on it. Here are the match ups so far.

WWE Title
JBL (c) vs. John Cena

World Heavyweight Championship
Triple H (c) vs. Batista

6 Man "Money in the Bank" Ladder Match
Chris Jericho vs. Edge vs. Christian vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Chris Benoit vs. Kane

Women's Title Match
Trish Stratus (c) vs. Christy Hemme

Sumo Match
The Big Show vs. Akebono

Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle
Randy Orton vs. The Undertaker
Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio

Also scheduled:
Piper's Pit w/ Stone Cold Steve Austin

Hall of Fame Inductees:
Hulk Hogan inducted by Sylvester Stallone
Rowdy Roddy Piper inducted by Chris Jericho
The Iron Shiek inducted by Sgt Slaughter
Nicholi Volkoff inducted by Jim Ross
Mr Wonderful Paul Orndorf inducted by Bobby Heenan
Jimmy Hart inducted by Jerry Lawler
Cowboy Bob Orton inducted by Randy Orton

I'll update this as more matches are anounced

Last edited by Mrs.Nesbit; 03-26-05 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-20-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Considering that there's only occasionally a weekly Raw thread [and NO Smackdown!], i'm thinking two weeks is a wee too early...

However, the only match i'm dreading is Trish vs Slut. Especially if Vince has Trish drop the belt.
Old 03-21-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
Considering that there's only occasionally a weekly Raw thread [and NO Smackdown!], i'm thinking two weeks is a wee too early...

However, the only match i'm dreading is Trish vs Slut. Especially if Vince has Trish drop the belt.
Funny.This is the only match that concerns me too. I'm hoping they don't have Trish put over Christy. How dwould that make Trish or the other wrestler look for that matter? To have someone come in off the street and after a few weeks of training beat one of their champ. This match should consist of Trish kicking the crap out of Christy and toying with her and Christy getting some near falls here and there with small packages and such. This match shouldn't make Christy look all that competitive. She should play the spunky rookie who won't give up.

She also needs to lose to the other women on the roster. Then over the course of the year they can build her up by eventually having her beat Molly and Victoria to show her progress and beating some other women along the way. All the while keeping her away from Trish.Then she can enter ring as Trish's equal.

If the WWE tries they can really milk this. Part of the fun is in the chase.
Old 03-21-05, 12:47 AM
Premium Member

Okay, I was a longtime (early 80s) fan but haven't watched much in a year or so.

Someone please school me on what this Hall of Fame thing is all about.
Old 03-21-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nesbit
6 Man "Money in the Bank" Ladder Match
Chris Jericho vs. Edge vs. Christian vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Chris Benoit vs. Kane
I haven't seen a wrestling match in years, but I'm a sucker for a ladder match On paper this has the potential to become an instant classic. Although I won't pay money for this PPV...I'm now forced to borrow a video from someone once this is over

Also, I have no clue who Shelton Benjamin is??? RVD isn't available?
Old 03-21-05, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Stone Cold on WWE TV again..... i am there
Old 03-21-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deadpool
Also, I have no clue who Shelton Benjamin is??? RVD isn't available?
Benjamin is the intercontinental champion on Raw. RVD is on Smackdown and I rarely watch that so I'm not real sure why he doesn't have a match. I guess with two rosters there's a lot of competition to get a match. I do question why they have that Big Show vs Akebono match because it looks as lame as the women's match.
Old 03-21-05, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think RVD is still hurt.

The reason behind the sumo match is when Smackdown was in Japan, Big Show was saying about how their sumo champ (who is American I think) is the only athlete that can stand up to him. Or something like that. So they set it up, and Show said he would be "honored" to face him.
Old 03-21-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
Okay, I was a longtime (early 80s) fan but haven't watched much in a year or so.

Someone please school me on what this Hall of Fame thing is all about.
It's a real HoF. It never was given much thought until last year when they started the tradition of doing a whole ceremony for the inductees around WM time. Eventually they'll get Bruno to appear.
Old 03-21-05, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Trish will most likely have to put over Christy. I think the Playboy cover that lists her as a WWE Champion is a spoiler.

The only thing Wrestlemania has going for it is Piper and Austin.

Are Raw and 'Mania both coming to us from the Staple Center?
Old 03-22-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Raw is the night after WM21. A couple of friends of mine are going.
Old 03-22-05, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This WM lineup looks really thin for a 3 hour show. Hopefully Kane will drop out of the ladder match and Matt Hardy will make a surprise return. Other than that match, the rest of the card is ho-hum.

D
Old 03-22-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
However the inclusion of Pete Rose doesn't help it's credibiltiy.
Yeah, that was more to let Vince jab at the MLB hall of fame and get publicity, but it was a strange move. Is Morton Downey Jr. next?

So who's in the hall of fame right now?
Old 03-22-05, 11:46 PM

Stone Cold was on a local AM sports talk show this afternoon (McDonnell/Douglas) and mentioned that he is going to be the one inducting Roddy Piper into the HOF at Wrestlemania. He didn't really elaborate so I'm not sure how that's gonna work...
Old 03-23-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Derrich
This WM lineup looks really thin for a 3 hour show. Hopefully Kane will drop out of the ladder match and Matt Hardy will make a surprise return. Other than that match, the rest of the card is ho-hum.

D
What are you crazy? The lineup is awesome.
Old 03-23-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, didn't realize that they started it so long ago, then skipped a bunch of years. There are so many viable candidates, but we all know that it's based on politics (some people will never make it, despite what they've done for the company) and availability. I wonder if they'll also make this a WCW hall of fame too...

So does induction mean that you have to stay retired? So Hogan (who I was very surprised is going to be inducted this year) won't have another comeback?

I think every single wrestler that was on that WWF cartoon when I was little is in there...

My wishlist, off the top of my head:
Ricky "the dragon" steamboat
Bret Hart (won't happen)
Owen Hart (ditto)
Randy "Macho Man" Savage (unless he's still wrestling somewhere)
Mean Gene
Mr. Fuji (dunno, I like the name for some reason...)
Dynamite Kid (or both British Bulldogs)
Jake the Snake (with his gut and Damien)
"the Million Dollar Man" Ted Dibiase
"Iron" Mike Sharpe (just kidding)

for WCW, they've gotta have at least Sting

and maybe
Bam Bam Bigelow (just for making him job to LT)
King Kong Bundy
Honkytonk Man (is he still the longest reigning IC champ? Still fueding with Lawler?)
"Ravishing" Rick Rude
Ultimate Warrior (not going to happen either, but many, many people remember him)
Demolition
Legion of Doom/Road Warriors
"the American Polkadot" Dusty Rhodes (when he's done with TNA)
Rick Martel (hey, I liked the Can-Am connection!)
Brutus Beefcake
Razor Ramone/Scott Hall
Old 03-23-05, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unlike other hall of fame sports, staying retired in not one of the criteria in wrestling. Sgt. Slaughter, for example, wrestled a match on Raw a month or so ago.
Old 03-24-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's no reason that Bret and Owen Hart won't be inducted. Bret and Vince have talked quite a few times over the past few years. I'm really suprised Owen isn't already in the HOF. So who is going to be watching this? Anyone want to list their predictions? Here are mine:

Batista beats Triple H
Cena beats Bradshaw
Angle beats Shawn Michaels (51-49 on this one though)
Trish retains the title
Edge wins the ladder match (Hope it's Christian but there's no way)
Akebono beats the Big Show
Undertaker beats Randy Orton (Though I'll be in the bathroom or smoking for the match)
Rey Rey beats Eddie Guerrero

Last edited by Mrs.Nesbit; 03-26-05 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-26-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Updated the first post and my predictions to include Eddie Guerrero vs. Rey Mysterio and added on the people who will be inducting this year's hall of famers.
Old 03-26-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kinda bummed they don't do the fan fest anymore. Went to the one in Anaheim for WM16 and had a blast. Now it looks like they just go to various locations in the area.
Old 03-26-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure they'll bring it back at some point.
Old 03-27-05, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't watched any WWE programming since Wrestlemania 20. Its kinda becoming a yearly thing with my roommates to watch only the Wrestlemanias. Anyway, to you real fans out there, is this lineup card any good. The ladder match sounds real sweet but what about the rest of them. We'll end up getting it anyway since its going to be about $5 a pop to watch it, but it would be nice to know if the card has any promise.
Old 03-27-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I haven't watched any WWE programming since Wrestlemania 20. Its kinda becoming a yearly thing with my roommates to watch only the Wrestlemanias. Anyway, to you real fans out there, is this lineup card any good. The ladder match sounds real sweet but what about the rest of them. We'll end up getting it anyway since its going to be about $5 a pop to watch it, but it would be nice to know if the card has any promise.
The Batista vs Triple H match and the Cena vs JBL match are two of the main reasons to watch it.
Old 03-28-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know about that. I don't think that Cena or JBL can wrestle worth a damn. Triple H can when he's motivated which I'm sure he'll be. I think the best matches will be Angle/Michaels, Mysterio/Guerrero, and the ladder match. The card looks average for a wrestlemania. I'd expect it to be as good as last years if not a bit better.
Old 03-28-05, 10:30 PM

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it is going to be a 4 hour show, so they either are going to have a lot of filler, or they are gonna have a match or two we won't find out about until then. I got my ticket today...I can't wait.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.