UEFA CUP Last 8 draw

Liverpool vs Juventus
AC Milan vs Inter
Lyon vs PSV
Chelsea vs Bayern

the pool get a tough draw in time for the 25th anniversary of heysel
Old 03-18-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

20th anniversary of Heysel, not 25th, right?

Was really hoping to draw Bayern. Ah well. It's a test. We can take Juve.
Old 03-18-05, 10:43 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

right 20th, too many drinks to calculate that in 4amk
Old 03-18-05, 10:59 AM

AC Milan vs Internazionale?

I guess that way at least Milan has one club through to the semis.
Old 03-18-05, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
AC Milan vs Internazionale?

I guess that way at least Milan has one club through to the semis.
At least they don't have to deal with the silly stadium problems that come from both of them being in the tournament.
Old 03-18-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They get the chance to once again demonstrate the absurdity of the away goals rule.
Old 03-18-05, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by leepyswetr
They get the chance to once again demonstrate the absurdity of the away goals rule.
I disagree. The away goals rule is not 'absurd', and that two of the top clubs in Europe happen to play in the same stadium is more a coincidence than anything else.
Old 03-18-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Liverpool vs Juventus should be a good matchup.

Go Juventus!
Old 03-18-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why do you like the away goals rule?

It seems to me that it puts more value on a team able to score more goals in a hostile environment, while overlooking the scoring of fewer goals in a home environment. A good team, the away goals rule says, should be able to outscore its opposition on the road. I believe that a good team should be equally able to outscore its opposition at home.

For example:

Team A wins at home 3-1.
Team B wins at home 2-0.

Team B advances by virtue of having scored an away goal. Therefore, they are better because they scored more away goals than Team A. Are they not, however, worse because they scored fewer home goals?
Old 03-18-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

By the way, that is actually the Champions League draw. Here is the UEFA Cup draw:

FC Steaua Bucuresti or Villarreal CF v AZ Alkmaar
PFC CSKA Moskva v AJ Auxerre
Newcastle United FC v Sporting Clube de Portugal
FK Austria Wien v Parma FC
Old 03-18-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Without the away goals rule, teams are going to sit back far more in an away setting. With the rule they're forced to attack.
Old 03-18-05, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Snipped from a Reuters article, on Liverpool-Juventus. Didn't remember that this was the first time the two teams have played since Heysel

Chelsea takes on Bayern
Reuters
LONDON -- Liverpool will play Juventus for the first time since the Heysel Stadium disaster at the 1985 European Cup final following the draw for the quarterfinals of the Champions League on Friday.

The pairing brings the two clubs together for the first time just two months before the 20th anniversary of the disaster in which 39 fans died following a riot by Liverpool supporters at the match in Brussels which Juventus won 1-0.

The match went ahead after the disaster and Juventus won with the only goal scored from a 58th minute penalty converted by Michel Platini.

The game turned out to be the last played by an English team in Europe for five seasons following a ban imposed by UEFA.

"It's a long time since we played," Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry told Reuters. "We tried one or two times to play friendlies but it just didn't work out.

"I'd say there's a great relationship between the clubs now and even between the supporters.

"It was all a long time ago. It's never something you forget, but I'd say everyone will be more focussed on the football now and it's a very challenging tie."

Romi Gai, Juventus's marketing and communications director, told Italy's Sky Sports: "It will obviously be a special occasion. It is 20 years exactly and we haven't played since.

FRIENDLY RELATIONS

"There are friendly relations between the two clubs and I was speaking before with Parry and he told me that if we are drawn together their fans want to do something to pay their respects.

"I think it will be a great sporting occasion carried out in a positive spirit."

Their only other meetings in Europe happened 20 years before the Heysel disaster, in the first round of the old European Cup Winners' Cup.

Juventus won the first leg 1-0 in Turin but Liverpool beat them 2-0 in the return at Anfield on October 13, 1965 before going on to reach the final the following May which they lost to 2-1 to Borussia Dortmund in Glasgow.
Old 03-18-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go Liverpool! oh and Newcastle in the Cup
Old 03-21-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

BWAHAHA... UEFA is throwing the book at Chelski. I love it.

Uefa has begun disciplinary proceedings against Chelsea, their manager Jose Mourinho and two other club officials.

Uefa looked into Chelsea's claim that Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard entered the referee's room at half-time in February's game between the clubs.

Chelsea, Mourinho, assistant manager Steve Clarke and security official Les Miles have all been charged with bringing football into disrepute.

Their claim was "wrong and unfounded" according to Uefa.

Uefa spokesman William Gaillard told BBC Five Live that thowing Chelsea out of the Champions League was a possibility.

"The punishment goes from a simple warning to disqualification of the team. It's for the disciplinary body to decide," he said.

Chelsea are reviewing their position before responding.

The charges come after a bitter row between the Premiership leaders and Uefa, which followed that Champions League last-16, first-leg match.

Chelsea lost the first leg 2-1 but went through to the quarter-finals - where they will play Bayern Munich - after triumphing 4-2 in the second leg at Stamford Bridge.

Blues boss Mourinho failed to appear at his mandatory media conference after the first leg, with Chelsea issuing a statement declaring that there had been "an incident" at half-time they were unhappy with.

It later emerged that the Blues had complained to Uefa that Barca coach Rikjaard entered Frisk's room, which was immediately denied by Rijkaard and the official.

"When I saw Rijkaard entering the referee's dressing room I couldn't believe it," Mourinho was quoted as saying on 27 February.

"When Didier Drogba was sent off I didn't get surprised."

However, Gaillard said Chelsea's claims were false.

"It is physically impossible for the two people who say they saw Frank Rijkaard enter Anders Frisk's dressing room to actually see the door of the dressing room from where they stood," he said.

"We also have a signed statement from Jose Mourinho in which he says he saw Rijkaard go into the dressing room which is contradictary to Chelsea's statement."

Frisk later quit refereeing after receiving death threats from Chelsea supporters and that prompted Volker Roth, the chairman of Uefa's referees' commitee, to call Mourinho "the enemy of football".

Uefa said Chelsea were not to blame over Frisk's sudden retirement but did issue charges over the Blues' late arrival on the pitch for the second half and Mourinho's news conference no-show.

Now the governing body has said: "Uefa today announced the opening of disciplinary proceedings against Chelsea FC, head coach Jose Mourinho, assistant manager Steven Clarke and security responsible Les Miles for making false declarations."

It said that those declarations were "notably in the complaint sent by Chelsea FC following the UEFA Champions League match played against FC Barcelona at the Camp Nou on 23 February 2005.

"By further disseminating these wrong and unfounded statements, Chelsea FC allowed its technical staff to deliberately create a poisoned and negative ambience amongst the teams and to put pressure on the refereeing officials."

Uefa's Control and Disciplinary Body will hear Chelsea's case on 31 March.

Its powers include everything from warning or fining Chelsea, to ruling the annulment of the result of the game in question or throwing the Blues out of the Champions League.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ea/4367883.stm

Punishments available to UEFA here:

* Warning
* Reprimand
* Fine
* Annulment of result
* Order that match be re-played
* Awarding of match by default
* Disqualification from competition
Old 03-21-05, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
20th anniversary of Heysel, not 25th, right?

Was really hoping to draw Bayern. Ah well. It's a test. We can take Juve.
You mean this year?!?! Sorry to disappoint you, but Juve will destroy Liverpool.

First quality side that Liverpool has faced in the CL. And we know how they have fared against quality sides in the Premiership this year. And we are talking top of the Serie A Juventus here. If Liverpool scores at all in either leg, I'll be impressed.
Old 03-21-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Liverpool have a chance because the style of football they play is more suited towards contiental football than English football.

I'll face facts as a Liverpool fan. We're not having the greatest season. I'm chalking it up to absolutely HORRENDOUS injury luck -- pretty much every starter (save Carra) has been out for significant periods of time this season (made worse yesterday with Moro going down), and still we have a very good chance to secure CL football again for next year (I don't know of any side in all of Europe who could take the injury list Liverpool has and still be able to compete). But people are acting like Bayer wasn't a quality side... just look what they did at home in the group stages, they won what was most likely the toughest group in Stage 1 of the CL, and then we just went in and destroyed them.

Is Juve tough? Definitely. Are they beatable? Absolutely.
Old 03-21-05, 05:42 PM

Chelsea and newcastle for both
Old 03-23-05, 10:50 AM

More Mourinho news:

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is expecting Uefa's disrepute charges against the club to be dismissed.

Mourinho, assistant Steve Clarke and official Les Miles were charged over claims against Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard and referee Anders Frisk.

Uefa accused them of making "unfounded allegations" following the Champions League tie at the Nou Camp.

But he told Portuguese television: "I have the expectation of complete dismissal, complete dismissal."

If found guilty, Chelsea could be warned, fined or thrown out of the Champions League.

However, Rijkaard says it would be wrong to kick the Blues out of the competition. He said: "I don't want a sanction like that because these are two separate things - Mourinho's attitude and that of the club.

"My objective is that in the future these types of comments are stopped - those at first which appear not too serious but later a situation takes place as it did with Frisk and which is serious. "It should be known that famous sports people can manipulate people that do not have sufficient intellect.

Mourinho said lawyers had told him not to comment but added that he would not change his behaviour. "I have always been this way. Sincerely, I don't want to change and I want to finish up my career 12, 13 years from now at most, I want to finish it up this way.

"That is, to be loved by my own. And right now I am loved by the Chelsea fans and I don't worry hardly at all about other club's supporters. That's the way I am."

Uefa's Control and Disciplinary Body will hear Chelsea's case on 31 March.

The club, Mourinho, Clarke and security official Miles will be able to request personal hearings and, if they wish, can choose to be represented by lawyers at the disciplinary meeting in Nyon, Switzerland.

The charges are the culmination of an investigation by Uefa into events at the Nou Camp and Chelsea's subsequent allegations.

Following the match, which Barcelona won 2-1, Mourinho verbally attacked referee Anders Frisk and called for Pierluigi Collina to referee the second leg.

Frisk subsequently announced his retirement following death threats to him and his family.
Old 03-23-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gawd, I hate Mourinho. He's an absolute disgrace to football.