Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

New age limit to NBA draft?

Old 03-01-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New age limit to NBA draft?

I just heard on the radio that they may institue a rule in the NBA like the NFL where you have to wait 3 years after your high school class graduates before you can enter the draft.

Imagine what that's going to do to the NCAA!

Last edited by rabbit77; 03-01-05 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think what they're probably going to do is restrict it to age 20 rather than the NFL rule. At least that's what has always been talked about.

Either way, if it's collectively bargained,and it can't be attacked in court (like the NFL rule) ... I love it.
Old 03-01-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Stop listening to the radio rabbit! Get back to work!
Old 03-01-05, 05:18 PM

As for this idea, I don't like that this may open the NCAA for more corruption than usual, but we shall see.
Old 03-01-05, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sundog
Stop listening to the radio rabbit! Get back to work!
You get back to work.

It sounds like what they've agreed on is the 3 year wait, and you must be 21 years old.

[hijack]Last night during a heated rumble sword match I spiked my controller down on the ground and shattered my communicator, so I won't be able to talk online for a while...[/hijack]

Last edited by rabbit77; 03-01-05 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As for this idea, I don't like that this may open the NCAA for more corruption than usual, but we shall see.
No more than what's going on in football...
Old 03-01-05, 05:23 PM
Retired

I sure hope this happens. It would improve the quality of play in the NCAA by keeping kids from skipping college, would give them some education to fall back on if they never make the pros, while at the same time improving the NBA by not forcing fans to watch so many players learning the ropes in the NBA at age 18-19.
Old 03-01-05, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by rabbit77
No more than what's going on in football...
that doesn't make it go down any easier.

The NBA doesn't want to deal with young and immature talent? Don't send them back to learning institutions. Create a viable minor league (something more relevent and immediate than the CBA or Europe).
Old 03-01-05, 06:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

meh

I agree more with the minor league idea, but since the NBA would have to finace that themselves it will never happen.

This years high school class blows so it won't make much of a difference since there won't be as many jumping. Greg Oden in 2006 is the interesting case becasue some people think he would be the #1 player taken this year as a Jr if he could come out.
Old 03-01-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk God

between this.. and the new tougher ncaa academic standards
there will be alot more people applying for jobs at mcdonalds after graduation
Old 03-01-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't agree with the rule, but i wouldn't be against it if it passes. I haven't seen anything on the major websites about an agreement being made yet though.
Old 03-01-05, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk God

in the past.. there werent many kids jumping from highschool to the pros
but with the recent successes.. all the big highschool players think they have great chances, and many will screw up their chances to play pro. by trying to go early

i dont really care enough about the nba to have much of an opinion about this rule.. but i can definitly see where it could make sense, as more high schoolers feel they can make the jump.
Old 03-01-05, 06:44 PM

I know this has been said by other people, but I think it's funny since under the new rule, LeBron couldn't be in the league right now. Obviously, LeBron is a special kid, but there are kids like Kobe and KG that can handle it. It will be interesting to see if anyone takes this to court and what the result will be.
Old 03-01-05, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
I know this has been said by other people, but I think it's funny since under the new rule, LeBron couldn't be in the league right now. Obviously, LeBron is a special kid, but there are kids like Kobe and KG that can handle it. It will be interesting to see if anyone takes this to court and what the result will be.
as mentioned above.. if its collectively bargained by both the players association and owners.. there wouldn't really be a case that would stand up in court.
Old 03-01-05, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's an interesting dillemma for the players association: a lot of their best players went straight from high school, a lot of them ready to play in less than three years. I mean, look at the all-stars just this year: mcgrady, kobe, garnett, jermaine o'neal, lebron, all of whom didn't play a lick of college bball. And how many more came out before they were juniors?

On the other hand, this protects veterans, since there are only so many spots available in the NBA, and having some HS kid sit on a bench for a year takes a spot away from an existing players union member. So it's really protecting their older guys.

Although I think it would improve the game of basketball in both NCAA and NBA, I don't really see this happening. You have proven players, maybe the best players in the league, that prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that teenagers can develop just fine in the NBA. Sure, there are a lot of failures too, but then who's to say that if they go to college for four years, they won't fail anyway? And then if you have someone like a Lebron James, who would be a guaranteed number 1 pick if eligible, be forced to go to college for three years, and then he tears his ACL or something, there'll be hell to pay.

The argument has always been, if we can send teenagers to war, why should we deprive them of being able to make a living?
Old 03-01-05, 08:40 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by fujishig
Sure, there are a lot of failures too, but then who's to say that if they go to college for four years, they won't fail anyway?
But at least if they fail under the proposed rule they'd have at least 3 years of college under their belt, making it easier for them to go back and finish up quickly and get another job. Hell, these kids no nothing about money, I bet a lot of the high schoolers that drop out of the NBA barely have enough money left at the end of their final contract to put themselves through 4 years of college.

Originally Posted by fujishig
The argument has always been, if we can send teenagers to war, why should we deprive them of being able to make a living?
That argument I always just call bullshit on. There's plenty of places they can make a living besides the NBA. Even if they want to play basketball they can go the CBA or Europe route instead of college.
Old 03-01-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
Kobe can handle it? He's like 26 and he still can't handle it...sure he's got a great game but in regards to his social skills, he's still got the maturity of a teenager

KG has been pretty dam immature at times too (look at him last year during the playoffs).
Old 03-01-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
Kobe can handle it? He's like 26 and he still can't handle it...sure he's got a great game but in regards to his social skills, he's still got the maturity of a teenager

KG has been pretty dam immature at times too (look at him last year during the playoffs).
I'd hardly consider anything KG has done as immature (the gun comments were blown way out of proportion). Heck, Lebron is considered a saint and he already has a child out of wedlock but no one has made a big deal of it.

Regardless, I don't like the rule in the NFL and i wouldn't like it in the NBA. I can see pluses and minuses on both sides, but I think players should have the freedom to make the decision on their own.
Old 03-01-05, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'd hardly consider anything KG has done as immature (the gun comments were blown way out of proportion). Heck, Lebron is considered a saint and he already has a child out of wedlock but no one has made a big deal of it.

Regardless, I don't like the rule in the NFL and i wouldn't like it in the NBA. I can see pluses and minuses on both sides, but I think players should have the freedom to make the decision on their own.
KG also had that whole feud with Francisco Elson.

Lebron may have had the kid out of wedlock but at least it was to his long time gf. Also, he has taken full responsibility for the kid.
Old 03-02-05, 01:04 AM

The NBA doesn't want to deal with young and immature talent? Don't send them back to learning institutions. Create a viable minor league (something more relevent and immediate than the CBA or Europe).
Originally Posted by MrX
I agree more with the minor league idea, but since the NBA would have to finace that themselves it will never happen.

The NBA has tried this in the past with the NBDL but it only lasted a couple of years. The majority of teams played in empty arenas and the NBA scrapped the idea.
Old 04-12-05, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Update on this. Read recently in Sporting News about what the agreement might shape up to be like (don't know how much of this is speculation and how much is insider information, but at least the source is a print magazine, not sports radio)

The article states that the NBA would only be looking out for themselves. The players union was ready to oppose this vehemently, but apparently they took the pulse of their members, who are not eager to see even more high school kids take up their space in the NBA.

The NBA would set up a minor league system, with two or more NBA teams sharing a team. Any player drafted under 20 would be required to spend time there. The appealing thing to the union is that the young players sent there would be paid their full contracts.

This would not help the NCAA, and may actually hurt it. There is no longer as much risk to draft a high-schooler: sure, you may waste a draft pick, but you don't have to waste a roster spot (and I assume cap room) on someone who won't contribute for three or more years. Coaches don't have to complain about having to coddle these kids, all while risking their jobs because these guys aren't developing. More kids might declare and get drafted now, and there are automatically more spots (albeit in the minor leagues) for them.

Just thought I'd update this thread a little. Interesting, as most of us assumed raising the age limit would help the NCAA, but that apparently may not be the case.
Old 04-12-05, 01:36 PM
Retired

I don't like that as I want an age limit more to help the NCAA than to improve the NBA.

The NBA has problems way beyond too many high schoolers entering the league.
Old 04-12-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jermaine O'Neal claims that racism motivates this desired change by the NBA. Is he really that dumb?
Old 04-12-05, 01:59 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Is he really that dumb?
See, proves the need for at least a few years of college education for these dipshits.
Old 04-12-05, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I read that Sporting News article as well. I think the biggest thing was that the players would still be paid under the rookie scale. I really don't mind so much. If putting them in the NBDL helps them develop their talents, i'm all for it rather then letting an 18 year old warm the bench.

As for O'Neal, i thought that was rather silly as well playing the race card.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.