Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

The Boxing thread.

Old 04-12-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I mentioned earlier that it's been a tough time for undefeated fighters this year, but Dawson lucked out with the judges. A close fight (I had it for Johnson by one point) but a UD by 4 points was a bit crazy to me.

And as for the fight I was most eager to see (Margarito/Cintron II), I expected a more disciplined "Manny Steward-Kronk" style of fight from Cintron. While it was a gutsy and mentally-imposing idea to stand in front of the guy who stopped you the previous time, it still turned out to be disastrous. Margarito clearly has Cintron's number. Entertaining while it lasted though.

I'm picking Rito to beat Cotto this summer.
Old 04-13-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

was Buffer not availible for the hbo fight?
Old 04-13-08, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
was Buffer not availible for the hbo fight?
Probably not.

When Buffer retires, we are probably seeing his replacment in Lupe Contreras. He's Latino and he speaks better English than I do!

Chris
Old 04-13-08, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Buffer's had surgery for throat cancer. Sounds like he's in good shape because it's been said he'll show up for Hopkins/Calzaghe next week.
Old 04-13-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thoughts on the night:

I had Dawson winning 115-113. I could see maybe going to a draw, but there was no way I could give Johnson the nod.

I had Tarver winning 118-110 in a stinker of a fight. Woods really embarrassed himself, not sure what that was about.

Margarito and Cotto were impressive, but I have to give the edge to Cotto if they meet.
Old 04-15-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

lol, I was just visiting the HBO site. Saw a pic of Max and remembered a certain question being asked here:

Originally Posted by gordon2
Was it just me or did anyone else notice that Max Kellerman look coked up?

Dude should be a hypnotist!
Old 04-17-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wsating no time making a documentary out of it!

From Fightnews:
Vazquez-Marquez: The Trilogy" will premier Saturday, May 3 on SHOWTIME
Showtime celebrated the historical Israel Vazquez-Rafael Marquez trilogy by honoring the legendary warriors with a special presentation at a media luncheon Wednesday at Tamayo Restaurant in Los Angeles. The network was onhand to film for a special Vazquez-Marquez documentary titled "Vazquez-Marquez: The Trilogy," a two-hour documentary that takes viewers inside this incredible rivalry; a rivalry rooted in Mexican pride, fueled by warrior-like determination and cultivated by mutual respect for one another - a true rarity in sport. The in-depth documentary breaks down each of the three fights with opinions and analysis from the fighters, their managers and trainers, reporters and industry experts.
Old 04-17-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mark your calendars: ESPN Classic will show O'Neill Bell vs. Tomasz Adamek this Saturday night, live.
Old 04-17-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Mark your calendars: ESPN Classic will show O'Neill Bell vs. Tomasz Adamek this Saturday night, live.
Thanks. I'm assuming Adamek is jumping up in weight for this one.
Old 04-18-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Adamek is now campaigning as a Cruiser. He has fought his last two fights there. He left Light Heavy after Chad Dawson beat him up.
Old 04-18-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I bet "John" Calzaghe is going to give B Hop a hell of a fight.
Old 04-18-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy crap! Did anyone see Chris Byrd on FNF tonight? He's suddenly become the Christian Bale of boxing.

Comparison pics coming soon.

I bet "John" Calzaghe is going to give B Hop a hell of a fight.
lol, John.

I'm betting that Calzaghe's punch-output will catch the eyes of the judges.
Old 04-19-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Glad I opened this thread otherwise I wouldnt have known Bell-Adamek was getting a US broadcast. Now I know what I'm watching while I eat supper.

Calzaghe-Hopkins really has me on the fence. Stylistically its a tough one. Will workrate and odd angles beat out counter punching and rough tactics? Is Calzaghe overrated and/or is Hopkins just too old?

I, like Mondo Kane, lean towards Calzaghe's workrate probably giving him the edge. B-Hop in his prime was a better fighter, but he's been far too underwhelming in his punch output in recent years (even in the Tarver win, which was tailor made for him- an uninspired, out of shape LHW who also doesnt punch much, and beating Winky, who has no power and is fighting out of his ideal weight class).

One things for sure, I certainly wouldnt bet on this one.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 04-19-08 at 08:52 PM.
Old 04-19-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Go Joe!
Old 04-19-08, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Crap decision. I had B Hop winning 115-112. Hopefully there is a rematch.
Old 04-19-08, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I'm betting that Calzaghe's punch-output will catch the eyes of the judges.
Told ya!

Hopkins needed more bodypunches in order to make his "Execution" (In the late rounds) count.

On another note, I was a bit shocked at how many friggin' celebs showed up for that fight! It was funny seeing Simon Cowell (Next to a frustrated Stallone) giggling at the lowblows.

BTW, I watched Bell/Adamek earlier and Bell's lucky that I saw his first fight with Mormeck otherwise I would've called Bell the worst undisputed champion ever after tonight's performance.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 04-19-08 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-19-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I find it disturbing that people could give rounds to a fighter who threw (when he actually did) in one punch spurts, then immediately held, and then the rest of the rounds ran and refused to engage in any sort of action.
Old 04-21-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Crap decision. I had B Hop winning 115-112. Hopefully there is a rematch.
See, I had Calzaghe, narrowly, by a mere round. I thought, and clearly the judges did too thus the split dec, that it was tough to score.

If Hopkins would have just thrown more, he could have easily won the fight, but there were two minute stretches in some of those rounds where he threw only a handful of punches. Even if those were accurate punches, I just couldnt give him the rounds because he was more content to rush-and-clinch over countering. Calzaghe at least looked to get off.

In his old age, B-Hop has just forgotten to remain active. The rest of his game is there, the backpedaling movement, the tight defense, the quickness, the accuracy, but the offensive workrate is all but gone.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 04-21-08 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 03:42 PM

As expected the 'Mayweather' of the upper weight classes came not to fight, but to clench and hold. That is why Bernard Hopkins will never be considered a 'great' fighter, because he doesn't fight, he just survives, just like Floyd Mayweather Jr.

I depise their styles, because as most people agree, they are boring to watch and neither, until recently, could support a PPV match. The only reason people are buying the Mayweather PPV's is because they want to see his ass beaten in such a bad way.

That's what happens when you are afraid to fight like a man and instead are content to 'run' away from your opponents. And in the case of Hopkins, cry like a baby when you are trying to get the sympathy of the crowd with that 2nd 'phantom' below the belt hit.

I miss the days of boxers who were not afraid to fight and get bloodied in the process: young Tyson, Gatti, Barrera, Morales, Jones Jr. and most of the hispanic fighters, etc.

I don't think I will even purchase the De la Hoya - Mayweather rematch because it will be pretty much the same as before. De la Hoya pursuing Mayweather trying to get him to fight and Mayweather staying at a distance, get in a couple of punches (since he has fast hands) to score points and then get out before he really gets into a fight.

So, please go ahead and try to defend the 'fighting' styles of Hopkins, Mayweather and their like, but you can never convince me that they are great 'fighters' who take pride in beating their opponents into submission.

Chris
Old 04-21-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
...I miss the days of boxers who were not afraid to fight and get bloodied in the process: young Tyson, Gatti, Barrera, Morales, Jones Jr. and most of the hispanic fighters, etc.

...So, please go ahead and try to defend the 'fighting' styles of Hopkins, Mayweather and their like, but you can never convince me that they are great 'fighters' who take pride in beating their opponents into submission.

Chris
Well, first, my two favorite all time fighters are Duran and Hagler, so I do agree... in part. The only defense I can make is that the world of boxing (and all combat sports) is big and thus there is room for all kinds of styles. I'd honestly get kinda' bored if you didn't have guys like Holmes, Ali, ArgŁello, Pernell Whitaker, Winky Wright, etc, who could defend and pick apart their opponents in different ways other than just outslugging them... But yeah, I get your point. Its always sad/strange when a fighter falls back on defense and eschews offense, then wonders why they didnt get any kudos.
Old 04-22-08, 10:48 AM
Admin-Thanos

We're well over 800 posts, so closing for length. Please start up a new thread if you want to continue the discussion. Thanks.