Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Sports Talk
Reload this Page >

Your most crushing loss as a sports fan

Sports Talk Discuss all things Sports Related

Your most crushing loss as a sports fan

Old 01-17-05, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont remember what year it was. miami heat vs. ny knicks. game 7. ny down by 1, allan houston, shoots, bounces, bounces, rolls in. *heart drops*
Old 01-17-05, 02:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
The Mistake by the Lake has had a lot of bad karma when it comes to sports. I'd like to think its God apologizing to the rest of Ohio for filling Cleveland with a bunch of liberal, chain-smoking, wife-beating, union card-carrying, lottery-playing, river-burning alcoholic deadbeats.
Next time, do me a favor and leave out the insulting commentary.
Old 01-17-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1998Nole
Being an FSU fan be all the wide rights and lefts against Miami. I have lost count how many time we haver lost because of a kick to UM.

I am sure if Quake sees this he will remind me.
Dont be silly, no one can count that high...
Old 01-17-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 490 Likes on 406 Posts
1984 NLCS. Clearly superior Cubs team beats San Diego 13-0 in game 1, then wins a close game 2. Series shifts to San Diego for the last three games. I believe the series was supposed to open in San Diego but MLB wanted the later games at night and Wrigley was still without lights. (I could be wrong on that, but that's what I've always believed.) SD wins game 3, Cubs hold back Sutcliffe (16-1 regular season after coming over from Cleve in the Joe Carter deal) in game 4 and SD wins on Garvey's HR. Cubs lose lead in game 5, in part because of the grounder that goes through Leon Durham's legs. (Bill Buckner, still sore about having been traded to Boston in the Eckersley deal, refers to Durham saying at least he won't let a grounder go through his legs. Poetic justice.) SD was then pounded by Det in the WS. Cubs were in first place in 1985 when the whole rotation went on the DL, and the rest was normal pathetic Cubs history.

The good news is that 1984 numbed me against ever believing the Cubs would win, so 2003 was not nearly as painful as it could have been. As close as they were, it never seemed real.
Old 01-18-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Dead
Next time, do me a favor and leave out the insulting commentary.
YGM.

Edited to add...

I can do that. Being from Ohio, I expected a little bit of leeway when it comes to observations about my home state, but my comments were meant to be insightful, not offensive. (Well, maybe a little offensive.)

But there are at least two indisputable facts in my posting...
(1) Liberals LOVE Cleveland: http://www.turnleft.com/places/cleveland.html
(2) The Cuyahoga River DID burn:

Last edited by kenbuzz; 01-18-05 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-18-05, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
i guess i would have to say any loss to "BAMA SUCKS"
although that hasnt happened much lately
Old 01-18-05, 01:18 PM

1998 - UCLA vs. Miami

My senior year of college. Last game of the regular season. UCLA wins and plays for the national championship in the Fiesta Bowl (1st year of BCS). Edgerrin James runs all over us for 250+ yards and Miami wins, 49-45. Two things really hurt about this game. First, this game was supposed to be played earlier in the year (week 3) but got rescheduled for December b/c of a hurricane. Miami's program was still down early in the season, and I have no doubt that we would have won if it was played as originally scheduled. Second, UCLA was up 45-42 late in the 4th quarter and the UCLA receiver (Brad Melsby I believe) fumbles the ball after getting hit near midfield. Replays clearly showed that his knee was down before the ball came out. Miami recovers and drives for the winning TD. Miami is completely revitalized and back in the college football elite. UCLA (IMHO) still has not recovered from the loss and started its journey back to "2nd best in LA" status.
Old 01-18-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1992 AFC Championship - Buffalo 29, MIAMI 10
1994 AFC Divisional round - SAN DIEGO 22, Miami 21
62-7 was pretty bad. (1999 AFC Divisional round)
Old 01-18-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When the NYG got beat by the Vikings and/or SF in both games that will live in infamy.
Old 01-18-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts
2001 - Florida losing to Tennessee 32-34,last game of the season after it was postponed due to the 9/11 attacks.Gators were 17 pts. favorite at home, all set for a Rose bowl showdown with Miami for the NC. Bin laden and Travis Henry end up humbling the gators.
Old 01-18-05, 07:25 PM

I can do that. Being from Ohio, I expected a little bit of leeway when it comes to observations about my home state, but my comments were meant to be insightful, not offensive. (Well, maybe a little offensive.)
You weren't talking about the entire state, you were talking about one city that you clearly have a grudge against for some reason. And it's more than a "little" offensive to imply that a city is full of chain-smoking, wife-beating (etc.) deadbeats.

But there are at least two indisputable facts in my posting...
(1) Liberals LOVE Cleveland: http://www.turnleft.com/places/cleveland.html
(2) The Cuyahoga River DID burn:
Yes, the river did burn...over 35 years ago. And how many current Cleveland residents had anything to do with it? And tell me, what exactly does your hateful little rant have to do with sports anyway? Your post should have been deleted IMO.
Old 01-18-05, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Denver Nuggets vs Seattle Sonics, Game 5 in the first round of the 94 playoffs
Jordan retired the season before, the Sonics set a franchise record for wins in the regular season, and they go on to be the first number one seed in NBA history to lose to a number eight seed They even had a 2 game to 0 lead and it ends up going to overtime in game 5!

Dikembe Mutombo is an asshat.
Old 01-18-05, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mezzanine
You weren't talking about the entire state, you were talking about one city that you clearly have a grudge against for some reason. And it's more than a "little" offensive to imply that a city is full of chain-smoking, wife-beating (etc.) deadbeats.

Yes, the river did burn...over 35 years ago. And how many current Cleveland residents had anything to do with it? And tell me, what exactly does your hateful little rant have to do with sports anyway? Your post should have been deleted IMO.

Let's not hijack this thread, but I am from Cleveland, and absolutely agree with the guy. The city is dying and that is having an impact on the people of the city paying for tickets which finances the sports teams.

Also, Mike Trivisano, on WTAM 1100, the leading sports talk man in Cleveland has often said that God has a beef with Cleveland. So if you have heard that, and read his post, you would understand this and get a chuckle out of it.
Old 01-18-05, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stu 17
Let's not hijack this thread, but I am from Cleveland, and absolutely agree with the guy.
The city is going through some tough times, but what I'm ojbecting to is the notion that the residents are chain-smoking, wife-beating, alcoholic deadbeats. Maybe you don't object to being labeled as such, but I do and I'm not the only one. Surely there's a way to make a sports related point (if there was one there) without degrading half a million people and reducing them to an insulting, unfounded stereotype.
Old 01-18-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Would probably have to be the Red Wings losing to San Jose in a game 7 in 1994 at home. That was awful...especially after crushing them in game 6.

Next would be the 1996 conference finals losing to the Avalanche in 6 after losing the first two at home....that was painful, especially considering the Wings would have also crushed Florida and had a three-peat instead of just the two.
Old 01-19-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Mezzanine
...what I'm ojbecting to is the notion that the residents are chain-smoking, wife-beating, alcoholic deadbeats. Maybe you don't object to being labeled as such, but I do and I'm not the only one.....
Gawd! Alright, allright (sheesh!) Here's the smiley missing from the original post...

Please move on.
Old 01-19-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when drago got beat by Rocky.......man it sucked
Old 01-19-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

30 years of watching these dogs, ten of thousands of dollars in season tickets, and with the exception of Jim Mora's reign, no end in site, from a dismal lack-luster team.
A team that will probably end up in La before it is over with, causing the end of the NFL in New Orleans at least during my life time.
Old 01-19-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the 70's needing a wining team to root for I started following the Steelers. With that being said, horrible moment #2; SUPERBOWL XXX Neil "Choke" O'Donnels two interceptions that allowed the Cowgirls to take the win.
Old 01-20-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts
last year's Super Bowl, when my beloved Panthers lost by a field goal.
Old 01-20-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone posted a pic, but I'll say it again.
Derek Fisher, .04 seconds. The emotional high we experienced when Tim Duncan hit a shot against all odds was undescribable. But what goes up must come down. Our emotions crashed right back down to the ground as Derek Fisher nailed the .04 giving LA the 3-2 lead in that series.

I will say this however. Fans of the Spurs have a lot to be thankful for. Two championships in the past 6 years, and favorites to win it all this year.
Old 01-20-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

whenever The Cowboys, Sooners or the Celtics lose a game
Old 01-20-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B.A.
Those losses were before my time - I didn't move here until the Summer of '89 (I was just a Twins fan then). I slowly became a Cardinals fan over the next few years. And now I am one of only four people I know of (my dad is another) to passionately root for the Cardinals AND the Twins. It's not a popular combination w/ the locals.
Totally agree. 85 and 87 was when I was still pretty young. I went to game 3 of the Series this year. Even though we lost, it was still amazing to see a World Series game. I moved to Chicago about 6 months ago, and needless to say, it's very tough to be a Cards fan in this city. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Cards fan for life, I just work in sports up here so it sucks that I have to listen to all the Cubs fans all the time.

The only saving grace is that I work with a ton of White Sox fans, and they SERIOUSLY hate the Cubs more than I do. And the other fact that my teams has won a World Series in my lifetime and been in 4 of them.

Nice to see another Cards fan in the forum.
Old 01-21-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TruGator
Being a Gator fan, I can't choose just one:
1999 Florida vs. Alabama. 'Bama wins 40-39 because of a missed UF PAT in OT.
2001 Florida vs. Auburn. Auburn drills a 50 yard FG into 20 MPH wind as time expires.
2002 Florida vs. Creighton, 1st round of NCAA tournament. Creighton drills a 3 at the buzzer for the win.

I was devastated after each of those games. I could list more, but the list would be too long.
I was at the Bama game. Damn that sucked ass. Shaun Alexander ran all over us and then we missed the chip shot extra point in OT. Lame.

Also the '95 Fiesta bowl was pretty disappointing. Also last year's ref job against F$U and this year's ref job against UT.
Old 01-22-05, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be perfectly honest I don't remember if it was Denver losing to Washington 42-10 in super bowl XXII or Denver losing to San Francisco 55-10 two years later.

Denver was my team at the time and I felt so bad after the loss that I did some soul-searching and had a live changing moment. I realized how stupid it was for me to be so involved with a team that I let my emotions be ruled by their success or failure. Since that moment I have never cared about any team in any sport. There are still individuals in sports that I admire and I follow their careers but I no longer have any attachment to the teams.

I still cringe whenever I hear someone use the words, "we" or "us" to refer to a team in sports that they don't personally play or work for.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.